Michael Moore Movie and Katrina

jhuskey said:
I am not hearing too much complaining from Mississippi. It seems they had their act together.
I would also suggest that the many, many that could have left and there were many, put an unusual burden on rescuers that caused even more tragedy.
Perhaps we should blame them for all the woes. Oh, I forgot they are minorities and will play the race card as a disadvantage.

Now that you mention it - would the Bush Goverment have been as slow to react if Katrina was due to hit say, Naples Florida ?
Given the demographics of Naples Fl., I would suggest that every possible assistance (if requested) would have been acted upon forthwith by Federal goverment.

I think the demographics pertaining to New Orleans and Louisiana in particular
ensured that a more rapid and professional response from the Federal authorities was never going to happen.
After all, vulnerable people don't have any real power, do they ?

limerickman said:
Now that you mention it - would the Bush Goverment have been as slow to react if the Katrina was due to hit say, Naples Florida ?
Given the demographics of Naples Fl., I would suggest that every possible assitance (if requested) would have been acted upon forthwith by Federal goverment.

ensured that a more rapid and professional response from the Federal authorities was never going to happen.
I think what Limerickman is trying to say is that George Bush does not like black people.

limerickman said:
Now that you mention it - would the Bush Goverment have been as slow to react if the Katrina was due to hit say, Naples Florida ?
Given the demographics of Naples Fl., I would suggest that every possible assitance (if requested) would have been acted upon forthwith by Federal goverment.

Your are correct in part. The Governor of Florida and the city Of Naples have their act together as far as hurricanes.
Lim, you can't base your opinion on the UK. It works different here. The individual states bear the responsibility for themselves no matter how many people hate Bush.
You can't hang this on on him. Iraq is a much easier sell to bash him.Even the media has backed off since new facts have come to light.
Ask Jag what happened In New Orleans,he was there and I am sure he will tell the truth.

limerickman said:
Now that you mention it - would the Bush Goverment have been as slow to react if Katrina was due to hit say, Naples Florida ?
Given the demographics of Naples Fl., I would suggest that every possible assistance (if requested) would have been acted upon forthwith by Federal goverment.

Wrong...My brother had to canx his vaction to naples, Fl this July when a hurricane hit..I belive it was "Dennis" once again you have a selective memory. I GWB didn't mobilize the Federal government...

jhuskey said:
Your are correct in part. The Governor of Florida and the city Of Naples have their act together as far as hurricanes.
Lim, you can't base your opinion on the UK. It works different here. The individual states bear the responsibility for themselves no matter how many people hate Bush.
You can't hang this on on him. Iraq is a much easier sell to bash him.Even the media has backed off since new facts have come to light.
Ask Jag what happened In New Orleans,he was there and I am sure he will tell the truth.

JH - across the board the press both in the USA and here in Europe report that Louisiana asked the Federal authorities for help prior to Katrina.

I do have some knowledge of how State and the Federal powers interact in the USA.
Most media reports agree that the Govenor of Louisiana did request help prior to Katrina hitting.
Most media report that the Federal authorities did not respond promptly to those requests.

limerickman said:
It is noticeable that many of the people left behind when Katrina hit, were the vulnerable - black, old, and poor people.

I respectfully suggest to those who put forward the suggestion that these people were free to move out of Louisiana, Mississipi etc, are being flippant.
The fact is that these vulnerable people did not have the means to get out of the path of Katrina.

In addition I would further say that it is unrealistic to suggest that vulnerable people who have barely anything, could be expected to freely leave Louisiana/Mississipi.
These people have no means of acquiring/retaining what little they do possess,
by leaving Louisiana/Mississipi.
I know you think the educational system is Europe is wonderful. So in the future please use all the correct letters when you spell Mississippi

limerickman said:
Bush doesn't.
Where is your proof? GWB appoints Rice and Powell and others to unprecedented posts of responsibility and you have the audacity to post this empty accusation??? Pitiful. I demand you withdraw it immediately!

limerickman said:
JH - across the board the press both in the USA and here in Europe report that Louisiana asked the Federal authorities for help prior to Katrina.

I do have some knowledge of how State and the Federal powers interact in the USA.
Most media reports agree that the Govenor of Louisiana did request help prior to Katrina hitting.
Most media report that the Federal authorities did not respond promptly to those requests.

I did not said nor did Bush that the response could not have been better.
As I suggested ask Jaguar what he heard and saw before and after . I have no idea what his response will be, but he was there.

zapper said:
Where is your proof? GWB appoints Rice and Powell and others to unprecedented posts of responsibility and you have the audacity to post this empty accusation??? Pitiful. I demand you withdraw it immediately!

I won't be withdrawing anything.

I will qualify what I said previously.

A constituency that can exercise no power, made up of people who are poor
don't merit in Bush's eyes.

In the case of Louisiana, the majority of those people people who the US federal goverment chose not to help, happened to be black, old and poor people.
I expect Bush has the same disregard for poor, old, white people too.

limerickman said:
I won't be withdrawing anything.

I will qualify what I said previously.

A constituency that can exercise no power, made up of people who are poor
don't merit in Bush's eyes.

In the case of Louisiana, the majority of those people people who the US federal goverment chose not to help, happened to be black, old and poor people.
I expect Bush has the same disregard for poor, old, white people too.
Right...you are a fine one to talk about not being fond of a particulary type of people....Dont you think? Would you be "shouting from the rooftops" if Katrina had hit and flooded uh....Haifa?

zapper said:
Right...you are a fine one to talk about not being fond of a particulary type of people....Dont you think? Would you be "shouting from the rooftops" if Katrina had hit and flooded uh....Haifa?

The fact remains that a "powerless" constituency of people were left to fend for themselves during that hurricane.

I take on board the point you made earlier about Florida - however I would suggest that Florida is proportionately more prosperous than Louisiana and Florida therefore had the funding and means available to deal with Dennis.

limerickman said:
If he hadn't visited the area - he would be lambasted as you say.

I am not sure that a documentary will provide any more insight to what is already known.
You're right, there will be no new insight, but when has that stopped michael moore?

I heard a MSNBC interview with Mayor Ray. He was asked, if he could do it again, what would he change.
His answer: "I would scream louded." WHAT!? He didn't say he would use the school buses that got flooded. He said he would just scream louder.
In another interview, his clown was asked why he didn't use the school buses.
His answer: "That question will be debated for years to come." HUH?!

You gotta admit that Bush, at least, admitted that the response was slow. Mayor Ray won't admit anything. He left New Orleans two days before the storm hit. To me, that sends a "Well, you're on your own." message to the citizens that his is supposed to protect.

And as far as the feds cutting the funding for the levees, I would have too. Most of that money went into the pockets of the levee committee members.

limerickman said:
The fact remains that a "powerless" constituency of people were left to fend for themselves during that hurricane.

I take on board the point you made earlier about Florida - however I would suggest that Florida is proportionately more prosperous than Louisiana and Florida therefore had the funding and means available to deal with Dennis.
Gee...florida run by republicans...able to budget more money than the Libs governing LA....What does that tell you....The mayor and the govenor been living it up on the poor downtrodens dollar...right?

zapper said:
Gee...florida run by republicans...able to budget more money than the Libs governing LA....What does that tell you....The mayor and the govenor been living it up on the poor downtrodens dollar...right?

Louisiana historically would have a lower GDP than many other states, including but not exclusively Florida.

Of course, if you wish to break this argument down to democrats versus republican by all means do so.

the fact remains that the most vulnerable people who couldn't evacuate Louisiana just happened to be poor, old and black people.
The very demographic that isn't applicable in the case of Florida and it's (Florida's) ability to deal with a natural disaster.

limerickman said:
Louisiana historically would have a lower GDP than many other states, including but not exclusively Florida.

Of course, if you wish to break this argument down to democrats versus republican by all means do so.

the fact remains that the most vulnerable people who couldn't evacuate Louisiana just happened to be poor, old and black people.
The very demographic that isn't applicable in the case of Florida and it's (Florida's) ability to deal with a natural disaster.
Gee that’s funny…Virginia has a lower GDP than Florida yet I lived through Isabel, many houses in my old neighborhood were destroyed by fallen trees, I mean literally cut in half….We got assistance yet we had a lower GDP than Florida…. Demographically speaking, our city is 71 percent black..yet we received assistance….

Secondly, New Orleans can afford a Pro Football team yet Virginia does not have any professional sports…So perhaps, it has nothing to do with GDP but maybe the management of states money….

zapper said:
Gee that’s funny…Virginia has a lower GDP than Florida QUOTE]

Louisiana has a far lower Gross State product than Virginia.

zapper said:
Demographically speaking, our city is 71 percent black..yet we received assistance….

Let's stick to state to state comparisons : Louisiana's black population total is far far higher than Virginia's.

zapper said:
Secondly, New Orleans can afford a Pro Football team yet Virginia does not have any professional sports…So perhaps, it has nothing to do with GDP but maybe the management of states money….

State income in Louisiana is far lower than Virginia's : whether a city has a football team or not is immaterial : having a football is not a barometer of how wealthy a region is.

limerickman said:
State income in Louisiana is far lower than Virginia's : whether a city has a football team or not is immaterial : having a football is not a barometer of how wealthy a region is.
Not true. A professional football team wouldn't locate itself in a city if the people didn't have the means to purchase tickets and support the team. Average costs of a family of four to attend one NFL game is over $250.

Colorado Ryder said:
Not true. A professional football team wouldn't locate itself in a city if the people didn't have the means to purchase tickets and support the team. Average costs of a family of four to attend one NFL game is over $250.

.............................in your opinion