Michael Moore Movie and Katrina

Whether a football team is located in a city isn't a scientific basis for assessing the relative wealth of one state vis-a-vis other states.

Virginia is far more prosperous than Louisiana.
That fact is documented.
So to suggest that Louisiana had the wealth/infrastructure commensurate with Florida or your part of the USA, isn't valid.

limerickman said:
Maybe not but the people remaining in the city, happened to be black, I'm afraid.

Most of NO is black and most chose to stay won't leave even now. I won't say there were not those that need help and didn't get it soon enough, but ther media is only showing selected views.
They have a cliche. " If it bleeds it leads".
I could write a book on what is wrong with the system from education,welfare,law enforcement,judicial system and on and on, but it is still a good system.
It just that there is corruption and incompetence on all levels. Not just in Washington.
From what I read of history, it has always been that way with every major society to some extent.
One of my part time EMT"s is filling in so Lenora, one of my paramedics, can go to Texas. She is Canadian and a little naive. She believes everyone is basically good and civilized.
She will get a good education on the way of the world in the next two weeks.
I do consider myself fortunate to live in what I consider to be a great state, in a nice house with good friends close by and I also know how quickly things can change.

On a high note the Fondriest is a sweet ride and The Tennessee Vols won over LSU in an upset.
No slam on Louisiana, after all it's only a game.

This topic is getting us nowhere.

I echoe what you say JH - it's only when you see how hard life is for other people in your village/town/city/country/abroad, can you realise how lucky one is to have ones health and enough wealth to get by.

limerickman said:
This topic is getting us nowhere.

I echoe what you say JH - it's only when you see how hard life is for other people in your village/town/city/country/abroad, can you realise how lucky one is to have ones health and enough wealth to get by.

I agree,when you talk about any subject in generalizations you can hardly be accurate.
I mentioned Charles Kuralt before. When I met him years ago he mentioned how he got the idea of his popular show "on the road".
He explained that he was on a plane drinking scotch and ,if I remember this correctly, the gentlemen next to him looked down at the lights below and said. "You know everyone one of those lights represents a story of it's own".
And that's where we are, a world with several billion stories and all have many facets.
To try and sum up even a few of these individual stories, in a forum such as this, is impossible, but hey, we are just conversing,having fun and we might even get something we can use out of it.

Lim, the one thing that confuses me the most is how you cover up you "Irish Brogue" on the net.
It must be those internet filters. :D I am sure I sound like a hillbilly.

wilmar13 said:
Well I think the thug aspect is pretty well accepted, but actually what I was referring to was the non-criminals that were there and the total lack of reciprocated human decency...
I, too, find that disturbing and disappointing. I saw an interesting e-mail a week or so ago from a Sri Lankan who found it difficult to comprehend how, when war-torn Sri Lanka experienced devastation through last year's tsunami, victims worked hard to help each other whilst, when N.O. experienced devastation through Katrina, so many victims turned on other victims and those who had come to help.
I don't know if this comparison is fair, or an over-generalisation, but I think that the USA needs to do some detailed investigation of what happened and why. I'm not in a position to apportion blame, and I'm not too sure what purpose it would serve, but there were a number of failures at various levels (including social responsibility of individuals) which need to be understood in order to minimise the risk of similar occurrences in the future. Whilst you cannot prevent hurricanes, I'm sure a lot could be done reduce the risks and the ensuing damage, especially since a lot of the human cost appears to have happened after Katrina had come and gone. Mother Nature, through one hurricane, may have caused more damage to the USA than all the World's terrororists have managed since the word 'terrorism' was first invented.

EoinC said:
I, too, find that disturbing and disappointing. I saw an interesting e-mail a week or so ago from a Sri Lankan who found it difficult to comprehend how, when war-torn Sri Lanka experienced devastation through last year's tsunami, victims worked hard to help each other whilst, when N.O. experienced devastation through Katrina, so many victims turned on other victims and those who had come to help.
I would venture a guess that Sri Lanka has no welfare system and that even though most people are very poor, they work for every scrap they get... those that don't, never get the chance to breed... natural selection if you will. ;)

In all seriousness there is some truth in what I just wrote even though it is pretty harsh. I imagine there are a lot of untold stories of people working together to help each other especially outside of NO.

jhuskey said:
Lim, the one thing that confuses me the most is how you cover up you "Irish Brogue" on the net.
It must be those internet filters. :D I am sure I sound like a hillbilly.

you mean, you would prefer -

"T'was one fair mornin', that I passed Fadder O'Malley's house, when lo and behold and saints preserve us, sure didn't I see from the corner of me eye that old rogue O'Bannion leapin' and jumpin'..................................(continued on page 4598) ?

limerickman said:
Whether a football team is located in a city isn't a scientific basis for assessing the relative wealth of one state vis-a-vis other states.

Virginia is far more prosperous than Louisiana.
That fact is documented.
So to suggest that Louisiana had the wealth/infrastructure commensurate with Florida or your part of the USA, isn't valid.
A matter of priorities...Louisiana chose to support a football team. Build a stadium vice fix the problem. The problem you ask? Fix a city that was built below sea level....In other words...A person who lives in a run down house but drives a lexus.....Mind you, it wasn't the people who made this decision but the STATE and LOCAL Government....

zapper said:
A matter of priorities...Louisiana chose to support a football team. Build a stadium vice fix the problem. The problem you ask? Fix a city that was built below sea level....In other words...A person who lives in a run down house but drives a lexus.....Mind you, it wasn't the people who made this decision but the STATE and LOCAL Government....

It is worth noting the French quarter of NO - built above sea level remained in tact.
What far sighted and smart people those French are, eh ?

But let me leave you with one other thought - seeing as you cannot provide us with any scientific data except waffle about football stadiums.

The Gross State Product of Virginia is larger than the aggregate totals of Lousiana and Mississippi.
Your state accounts for $326 billion GSP per annum.
Lousiana's ?
80% of Virginia ? nope not even close.
60% of Virginia's ? nope, not close.
How about 42% ? that's right.
Virginia is more than twice as prosperous as Louisiana - and is more prosperous than Lousiana and Mississippi combined.

limerickman said:
It is worth noting the French quarter of NO - built above sea level remained in tact.
What far sighted and smart people those French are, eh ?

But let me leave you with one other thought - seeing as you cannot provide us with any scientific data except waffle about football stadiums.

The Gross State Product of Virginia is larger than the aggregate totals of Lousiana and Mississippi.
Your state accounts for $326 billion GSP per annum.
Lousiana's ?
80% of Virginia ? nope not even close.
60% of Virginia's ? nope, not close.
How about 42% ? that's right.
Virginia is more than twice as prosperous as Louisiana - and is more prosperous than Louisiana and Mississippi combined.
Yes and Virginia mostly run and vote Republican…(except this Mark Warner dude but still not bad for a democrat) Louisiana run by Democrats. Concerned more about the environment and Football and Mardi Gra revenues than providing a safe place for the people to live….And what is not scientific about Football stadiums…They take money i.e. expenditures, tax dollars, revenue to operate and maintain. The funding for such is documented and supported by financial DATA. Admit it, the leadership in New Orleans and for the greater part of Louisiana is inept!

zapper said:
Yes and Virginia mostly run and vote Republican…(except this Mark Warner dude but still not bad for a democrat) Louisiana run by Democrats. Concerned more about the environment and Football and Mardi Gra revenues than providing a safe place for the people to live….And what is not scientific about Football stadiums…They take money i.e. expenditures, tax dollars, revenue to operate and maintain. The funding for such is documented and supported by financial DATA. Admit it, the leadership in New Orleans and for the greater part of Louisiana is inept!

I think you'll find that the gross income of people in Louisiana is substantially lower than in your State.
Therefore tax income would be lower - therfore there is less revenue for the State to spend.
That's why it (Louisiana) had to ask for additional capital expenditure funding from central goverment.
But as your State generates over TWICE the annual wealth of Lousiana, it's easy to criticise.

I am sure football is a money spinner - for footballers that is.

zapper said:
Admit it, the leadership in New Orleans and for the greater part of Louisiana is inept!

I'd say the problem resided with a man who falsified his CV to get a job which
no amount of work experience as an Arabian Horse Association minion was suitable for in the first place.
(Then again, he was a Bush crony, eh ?????????????)

limerickman said:
I think you'll find that the gross income of people in Louisiana is substantially lower than in your State.
Therefore tax income would be lower - therfore there is less revenue for the State to spend.
That's why it (Louisiana) had to ask for additional capital expenditure funding from central goverment.
But as your State generates over TWICE the annual wealth of Lousiana, it's easy to criticise.

I am sure football is a money spinner - for footballers that is.
Thanks for making my point..Virginia is so wealthy yet CAN’T AFFORD A FOOTBALL TEAM Like I said…boils down to local choices not those of the Federal Government…You still can’t conceive how our system works here so I understand how you can be so misguided…

I'd say the problem resided with a man who falsified his CV to get a job which
no amount of work experience as an Arabian Horse Association minion was suitable for in the first place.
(Then again, he was a Bush crony, eh ?????????????)
Once again, you are talking about a Federal official who DIDN’T vote for sports over HIGHER GROUND…

limerickman said:
you mean, you would prefer -

"T'was one fair mornin', that I passed Fadder O'Malley's house, when lo and behold and saints preserve us, sure didn't I see from the corner of me eye that old rogue O'Bannion leapin' and jumpin'..................................(continued on page 4598) ?

That's the stuff I'm talking about.

limerickman said:
Average income for Florida...........33,000
Average income for Virginia..........35,000
Average income for Louisiana........32,000

yes the income is SUBSTANTIALLY less than those other states

limerickman said:
The point I made is that Louisiana is a poor state (compared to other states).
The federal and state authorities know that a large % of the population are disenfranchised as it is before katrina.
Katrina created a vacuum that allowed already disenfranchised people to run riot in some cases.
I cannot be persuaded that the authorities in the USA or Louisiana weren't aware that chaos would ensue.
Tell me Lim WHY would a privately held sports team... The New Orleans Saints chose to locate their team in a city of poverty stricken citizens. I just don't understand how poverty stricken citizens can afford to regularly sellout the Superdome for Saints football games. Hey Lim..how can people living in poverty afford to regularly go to football games?

zapper said:
Average income for Florida...........33,000
Average income for Virginia..........35,000
Average income for Louisiana........32,000

yes the income is SUBSTANTIALLY less than those other states

Your figures are wrong.

If you look at the GSP figure (produced by your own government) you'll see the following :

Virginia $326b (2004)
Louisiana $157b (2004)
Mississippi $138b (2004).

Check yer goverment website - tis all there.

zapper said:
Tell me Lim WHY would a privately held sports team... The New Orleans Saints chose to locate their team in a city of poverty stricken citizens. I just don't understand how poverty stricken citizens can afford to regularly sellout the Superdome for Saints football games. Hey Lim..how can people living in poverty afford to regularly go to football games?

I've no idea.

But here's a thought.
Several countries use sport and sporting events to regenerate economic activity in areas/regions.

Take ?
Take Athens in Greece, not Georgia.
By staging the 2004 Olympic Games : Athens managed to gnerate huge infrastructural development which will enhance the economic growth of that
relatively impoverished region.

or take Britain, Manchester : their bid for the Commonwealth Games generated
massive infrastructural investment and development which has added hugely to the economic activity of North West England.

Building large infrastructures in locations where there is no indigenous activity or no indigenous economic activity is seen as away of generating employment/income.

limerickman said:
Your figures are wrong.

If you look at the GSP figure (produced by your own government) you'll see the following :

Virginia $326b (2004)
Louisiana $157b (2004)
Mississippi $138b (2004).

Check yer goverment website - tis all there.
You are wrong read my post again. I didn't say GSP..

zapper said:
You are wrong read my post again. I didn't say GSP..

I know you didn't say GSP.

I'm saying GSP is the measure used for wealth measurement - STATE ON STATE.