Michael Phelps Best Swimmer in World

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Harold Pinter, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Looks like Ian Thorpe's reign is over. Heil to the new Champion !!!

    Tags:

  2. Insweep

    Insweep Guest

    Let's wait the next Olympics....
    --
    insweep>dataminer
    www.insweep.com

  3. "insweep" <[email protected]> wrote in news:bg19pv$23h$1 @lacerta.tiscalinet.it:

    > Let's wait the next Olympics....
    > --

    No.

    The 5 world records and most dominating championship the world has ever seen have established him as
    the world's greatest swimmer.

  4. Harold Pinter wrote:

    > Looks like Ian Thorpe's reign is over. Heil to the new Champion !!!

    Could we stop this silly argument? Harald "whiteshoes" Johnson is the best swimmer in the world. He
    won the Manhatan Island swim a long time ago.

    martin

    --
    Martin Smith email: [email protected] Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
    P.O. Box 482 mob. : +47 932 48 303 1327 Lysaker, Norway

  5. Harold Pinter wrote:

    > "insweep" <[email protected]> wrote in news:bg19pv$23h$1 @lacerta.tiscalinet.it:
    >
    > > Let's wait the next Olympics....
    > > --
    >
    > No.
    >
    > The 5 world records and most dominating championship the world has ever seen have established him
    > as the world's greatest swimmer.

    Wait a minute. Wait for the drug tests. A few years ago, Inge de Bruin's performance paled in
    comparison, but she was immediately attacked as a drug cheat. Even Ian Thorpe has had to defend
    himself against drug use accusations. So far, I haven't heard anyone say anything about Phelps
    and drugs, yet his performance is the most unbelievable of the three. Probably just another
    swimmer gone bad.

    martin

    --
    Martin Smith email: [email protected] Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
    P.O. Box 482 mob. : +47 932 48 303 1327 Lysaker, Norway

  6. Alexandria

    Alexandria Guest

    > Harold Pinter wrote:
    > > No.
    > >
    > > The 5 world records and most dominating championship the world has ever seen have established
    > > him as the world's greatest swimmer.

    He is the current world's best male swimmer. IMO, In order to be considered 'greatest ever', he has
    to win a swag of olympic golds (he has yet to win a single olympic medal), preferably in multiple
    olympics. Also, winning a freestyle event or two wouldn't hurt his chances too. Freestyle is the
    fastest stroke and is the most competitive by far. Just a quick look at the list of greatest
    swimmers in the past century (as voted by a panel of international coaches, commissioned by Swimming
    World in 1999) confirm this : Spitz, Popov, Biondi, Rose, Salnikov, Gross, Fraser, Gould, Babashoff,
    Wickham, Caulkins, Woodhead.

    There are, however, other stroke swimmers with exceptional results, such as Egerszegi (Back and IM)
    on the list. Although Egerszegi also won gold in the same event in three consecutive olympics, she
    was not considered 'greatest'. The title went to Fraser, who swam freestyle events.

    I am an american, but I think Thorpe is already halfway to the 'greatest' title. He has broken two
    dozens WRs in 200-400-800 free. He has won multiple olympic golds. He has won the same events in
    three consecutive world championships (400 free and 4x200 free). He is the most decorated swimmer in
    the world championships history (11 golds, 1 silver, 1 bronze). He hasn't beaten in his best event
    (400 free) since september 1997 (note : Phelps was beaten in the 200 fly in last year's pan pacs).

    Phelps is now the world's best, and certainly has the talent and potential to be 'the greatest
    ever', but whether he can maintain his unbelievable standards, we'll see next year in Athens.

    "Martin W. Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Wait a minute. Wait for the drug tests. A few years ago, Inge de Bruin's performance paled in
    > comparison, but she was immediately attacked as a drug cheat. Even Ian Thorpe has had to defend
    > himself against drug use accusations. So far, I haven't heard anyone say anything about Phelps and
    > drugs, yet his performance is the most unbelievable of the three. Probably just another swimmer
    > gone bad.

    Don't you know that we, americans, are infamously known for our 'double standards' and
    'hipocrisy' ? ;)

  7. Dori

    Dori Guest

    "Martin W. Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Harold Pinter wrote:
    > >
    > > "insweep" <[email protected]> wrote in news:bg19pv$23h$1 @lacerta.tiscalinet.it:
    > >
    > > > Let's wait the next Olympics....
    > > > --
    > >
    > > No.
    > >
    > > The 5 world records and most dominating championship the world has ever seen have established
    > > him as the world's greatest swimmer.
    >
    > Wait a minute. Wait for the drug tests. A few years ago, Inge de Bruin's performance paled in
    > comparison, but she was immediately attacked as a drug cheat. Even Ian Thorpe has had to defend
    > himself against drug use accusations. So far, I haven't heard anyone say anything about Phelps and
    > drugs, yet his performance is the most unbelievable of the three. Probably just another swimmer
    > gone bad.
    >
    > martin

    That's a bad attitude.

  8. Alexandria

    Alexandria Guest

    Forgot to add, in Track&Field, as an analogy, greatest runners down the history are always
    'straight' runners, not the hurdlers, walkers, cross country, or steeplechaser. They can be greatest
    hurdles, walkers, steeplechaser, but would never be considered greatest runner without WRs/olympic
    golds in 'straight' 100, 200, 400, 800, 1,500, 3,000, 10,000, or marathon.

    Paula Radcliffe was a great cross country runner, but was only feted after she switched to marathon.

  9. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Martin W. Smith":
    > Wait a minute. Wait for the drug tests. A few years ago, Inge de Bruin's performance paled in
    > comparison, but she was immediately attacked as a drug cheat. Even Ian Thorpe has had to defend
    > himself against drug use accusations. So far, I haven't heard anyone say anything about Phelps and
    > drugs, yet his performance is the most unbelievable of the three. Probably just another swimmer
    > gone bad.

    Reading the fina.org site and the Olympic site just now on doping, I realized that my asthma
    medication is a prohibited substance (a beta-2 agonist). I hope I don't get nailed at a masters
    meet! Phelps also has asthma, I believe I read (he has the gape-mouth expression of an asthmatic
    at least).

    Since Masters world records are maintained by FINA, does that mean that Masters meets occasionally
    do doping tests?!

  10. Coyote

    Coyote Guest

    Don't slur an athlete to lash out at trollers. Phelps made the olympic team at 14, held a world
    record at 15 and a world title, barely 16 yrs of age. I actually think Ian's WR's and Inge's 100 fly
    are just as impressive.

  11. Dori wrote:

    > "Martin W. Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Harold Pinter wrote:

    > > > No.
    > > >
    > > > The 5 world records and most dominating championship the world has ever seen have established
    > > > him as the world's greatest swimmer.
    > >
    > > Wait a minute. Wait for the drug tests. A few years ago, Inge de Bruin's performance paled in
    > > comparison, but she was immediately attacked as a drug cheat. Even Ian Thorpe has had to defend
    > > himself against drug use accusations. So far, I haven't heard anyone say anything about Phelps
    > > and drugs, yet his performance is the most unbelievable of the three. Probably just another
    > > swimmer gone bad.
    > >
    > > martin
    >
    > That's a bad attitude.

    Do you mean all the whining and accusations unsupported by evidence?

    martin

    --
    Martin Smith email: [email protected] Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
    P.O. Box 482 mob. : +47 932 48 303 1327 Lysaker, Norway

  12. Tell that to Edwin Moses. One of the most dominant track and field athletes of all time.

    Or run it by Jackie Joyner-Kersee. I don't recall her ever running any of those "straight" events.

    Nice try.

    "alexandria" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Forgot to add, in Track&Field, as an analogy, greatest runners down the history are always
    > 'straight' runners, not the hurdlers, walkers, cross country, or steeplechaser. They can be
    > greatest hurdles, walkers, steeplechaser, but would never be considered greatest runner without
    > WRs/olympic golds in 'straight' 100, 200, 400, 800, 1,500, 3,000, 10,000, or marathon.
    >
    > Paula Radcliffe was a great cross country runner, but was only feted after she switched to
    > marathon.

  13. Dori

    Dori Guest

    "Martin W. Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dori wrote:

    > > > Wait a minute. Wait for the drug tests. A few years ago, Inge de Bruin's performance paled in
    > > > comparison, but she was immediately attacked as a drug cheat. Even Ian Thorpe has had to
    > > > defend himself against drug use accusations. So far, I haven't heard anyone say anything about
    > > > Phelps and drugs, yet his performance is the most unbelievable of the three. Probably just
    > > > another swimmer gone bad.
    > > >
    > > > martin
    > >
    > > That's a bad attitude.
    >
    > Do you mean all the whining and accusations unsupported by evidence?
    >
    > martin

    Yes. de Bruin was treated badly in Sydney after her great performances. Funny how Phelps isn't being
    looked at. Maybe it has to do with their body-types? de Bruin is like an amazon, while Phelps looks
    pretty average at best.

  14. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > > Looks like Ian Thorpe's reign is over. Heil to the new Champion !!!
    >
    > Could we stop this silly argument? Harald "whiteshoes" Johnson is the best swimmer in the world.
    > He won the Manhatan Island swim a long time ago.
    >
    > martin
    >
    > --
    > Martin Smith email: [email protected]

    Wearing white shoes? That IS impressive!

    Pat in TX

  15. Pat wrote:

    > x-no-archive:yes
    >
    > > > Looks like Ian Thorpe's reign is over. Heil to the new Champion !!!
    > >
    > > Could we stop this silly argument? Harald "whiteshoes" Johnson is the best swimmer in the world.
    > > He won the Manhatan Island swim a long time ago.
    > >
    > > martin
    > >
    > > --
    > > Martin Smith email: [email protected]
    >
    > Wearing white shoes? That IS impressive!
    >
    > Pat in TX

    Harald was from Texas, by the way. Now he lives in West Virginia someplace, on a farm or something.

    martin

    --

  16. Chris wrote:

    > "Martin W. Smith":
    > > Wait a minute. Wait for the drug tests. A few years ago, Inge de Bruin's performance paled in
    > > comparison, but she was immediately attacked as a drug cheat. Even Ian Thorpe has had to defend
    > > himself against drug use accusations. So far, I haven't heard anyone say anything about Phelps
    > > and drugs, yet his performance is the most unbelievable of the three. Probably just another
    > > swimmer gone bad.
    >
    > Reading the fina.org site and the Olympic site just now on doping, I realized that my asthma
    > medication is a prohibited substance (a beta-2 agonist). I hope I don't get nailed at a masters
    > meet! Phelps also has asthma, I believe I read (he has the gape-mouth expression of an asthmatic
    > at least).
    >
    > Since Masters world records are maintained by FINA, does that mean that Masters meets occasionally
    > do doping tests?!

    Good question. I don't know, but I've never seen any tests at masters events. If there is testing, I
    would expect only record setting performances and perhaps world masters games races to be tested,
    because of the cost. It would be counter-productive at a local masters meet, because of the hassle
    and cost. People would refuse to participate.

    martin

    --

  17. Coyote wrote:

    > Don't slur an athlete to lash out at trollers. Phelps made the olympic team at 14, held a world
    > record at 15 and a world title, barely 16 yrs of age. I actually think Ian's WR's and Inge's 100
    > fly are just as impressive.

    Don't slur a mediocre athlete who didn't slur anybody. If Phelps made the olympic team at 14, isn't
    that even more incredible? Incredibility has been the main justification for making unfounded
    accusations. That and being a female with low body fat.

    martin

    --
    Martin Smith email: [email protected] Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
    P.O. Box 482 mob. : +47 932 48 303 1327 Lysaker, Norway

  18. Alexandria

    Alexandria Guest

    Judging by the quality of your previous posts, I shouldn't have been surprised by your lack of
    ability to discern that I only limited to track events (ie. running/walking/hurdling). It is true
    that walking and hurdling need different sets of skills (just like back, breast, fly as opposed to
    crawl), but the greatest track athletes were never hurdlers, walkers, or cross country-ers.

    "Harold Pinter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tell that to Edwin Moses. One of the most dominant track and field athletes of all time.
    >
    > Or run it by Jackie Joyner-Kersee. I don't recall her ever running any of those "straight" events.
    >

    > Nice try.
    >

    > "alexandria" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Forgot to add, in Track&Field, as an analogy, greatest runners down the history are always
    > > 'straight' runners, not the hurdlers, walkers, cross country, or steeplechaser. They can be
    > > greatest hurdles, walkers, steeplechaser, but would never be considered greatest runner without
    > > WRs/olympic golds in 'straight' 100, 200, 400, 800, 1,500, 3,000, 10,000, or marathon.
    > >
    > > Paula Radcliffe was a great cross country runner, but was only feted after she switched to
    > > marathon.

  19. Colin Priest

    Colin Priest Guest

    Masters swimming in Australia has a policy of not testing because many "banned" drugs are vital to
    the health of the more elderly swimmers. The idea is to encourage people to remain active and
    healthy for as long as possible.

    "Martin W. Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Chris wrote:
    > >
    > > "Martin W. Smith":
    > > > Wait a minute. Wait for the drug tests. A few years ago, Inge de
    Bruin's
    > > > performance paled in comparison, but she was immediately attacked as a drug cheat. Even Ian
    > > > Thorpe has had to defend himself against drug use accusations. So far, I haven't heard anyone
    > > > say anything about Phelps and drugs, yet his performance is the most unbelievable of the
    > > > three. Probably just another swimmer gone bad.
    > >
    > > Reading the fina.org site and the Olympic site just now on doping, I
    realized
    > > that my asthma medication is a prohibited substance (a beta-2 agonist). I hope I don't get
    > > nailed at a masters meet! Phelps also has asthma, I believe I read (he has the gape-mouth
    > > expression of an asthmatic at
    least).

    > > Since Masters world records are maintained by FINA, does that mean that Masters meets
    > > occasionally do doping tests?!
    >
    > Good question. I don't know, but I've never seen any tests at masters events. If there is testing,
    > I would expect only record setting performances and perhaps world masters games races to be
    > tested, because of the cost. It would be counter-productive at a local masters meet, because of
    > the hassle and cost. People would refuse to participate.
    >
    > martin
    >
    > --
    > Martin Smith email: [email protected] Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
    > P.O. Box 482 mob. : +47 932 48 303 1327 Lysaker, Norway

  20. Coyote

    Coyote Guest

    "Martin W. Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Coyote wrote:
    > >
    > > Don't slur an athlete to lash out at trollers. Phelps made the olympic team at 14, held a world
    > > record at 15 and a world title, barely 16 yrs of age. I actually think Ian's WR's and Inge's 100
    > > fly are just as impressive.
    >
    > Don't slur a mediocre athlete who didn't slur anybody. If Phelps made the olympic team at 14,
    > isn't that even more incredible? Incredibility has been the main justification for making
    > unfounded accusations. That and being a female with low body fat.
    >
    > martin

    Poor excuse.