Miche 10 speed cassettes

geoinmillbrook

Feb 8, 2007
Hi -- Anyone tried a Miche 10 speed cassette on a shimano hub ? Like dope I bought 2 , 11-27' s before I tried one and it shifts terribly. When you tune the d'rlr stops and cable tension to shift up from small to large cogs it won't shift down right, and vice versa. I also can't go from 9 to 8th gear and 3ed to 2nd without double shifting. The pattern that the teeth make from cog to cog look almost random, versus the nice spiral pattern you see in the shimano cassettes. I took it apart and reassembled it twice and measured all the spacers to make sure they were the same thickness. I also noticed that each gear fits a little sloppy on the hub, some of them differently, so they move around until the cap lock is tightened. I lubed my cable, checked for kinks, hangups, etc and found nothing. I reinstalled my shimano 12-27 , 10 speed cassette back on and within minutes I had it shifting flawlessly. Bizarre. Hint anyone ? thanks !

geoinmillbrook said:
Hi -- Anyone tried a Miche 10 speed cassette on a shimano hub ? Like dope I bought 2 , 11-27' s before I tried one and it shifts terribly. When you tune the d'rlr stops and cable tension to shift up from small to large cogs it won't shift down right, and vice versa. I also can't go from 9 to 8th gear and 3ed to 2nd without double shifting. The pattern that the teeth make from cog to cog look almost random, versus the nice spiral pattern you see in the shimano cassettes. I took it apart and reassembled it twice and measured all the spacers to make sure they were the same thickness. I also noticed that each gear fits a little sloppy on the hub, some of them differently, so they move around until the cap lock is tightened. I lubed my cable, checked for kinks, hangups, etc and found nothing. I reinstalled my shimano 12-27 , 10 speed cassette back on and within minutes I had it shifting flawlessly. Bizarre. Hint anyone ? thanks !

We tried some Miche and IRD and were not impressed so sent the unused ones back and haven't tried them again.

did you try this cassette for a different gear ratio? I'm not a expert but I do know that mixing brands in this day of age is certain to create a headache. I pretty much just suck it up when it comes to the details. There's only one way to learn a new product and that's to try it. So.... oh well at least you tried.

gemship said:
did you try this cassette for a different gear ratio? I'm not a expert but I do know that mixing brands in this day of age is certain to create a headache. I pretty much just suck it up when it comes to the details. There's only one way to learn a new product and that's to try it. So.... oh well at least you tried.
Or you can ask LBS folk like Peter and save some angst. Of course, someone has to try it... ;)

what about SRAM cassettes with a Shimano drivetrain? I just bought a new one for a new set of wheels, but haven't recieved the wheels yet.

I have a 10s 12-25 cassette for campy that gave me lots of headaches at first. Shifting between the 19 and 21 cogs was causing major problens. I was getting double shifts going from the larger ring to the small. I finally took the wheel off of the bike and took a close look at the cassette. One of the teeth on the 19 was a bit bent. I just took a large cresent wrench and straightened it out a bit and it worked fine.

The qaulity is obviously not the same as campy or shimano stuff, but I guess that is why it is nearly half the cost. When this cassette goes out, I'll be sure to get a real campy.

gemship said:
This is my first try of any other cassettes besides Shimano or SRAM.
I am such a dumb-a*s though. Found the rear hub loose, which allowed the cassette to slide around -- pretty sure that was my problem. I already sent the cassettes back to Oregon before I discovered it. They were a little heavy and not manf. as well as the Shimano cassette anyhow, but now I will not know how well they would have worked. I ordered an 11-28 SRAM 1070 to see how that works. :) At least the cog teeth patterns don't look as kooky as the Miche.
I converted my wife's Six-13 to a compact from a triple and she loves the simplicity of it. We have some awesome hills so I am moving her from the 12-25 . I think the combo of the the 34-50 in front and 11-28 in back should give some good gear ranges.

benkoostra said:
what about SRAM cassettes with a Shimano drivetrain? I just bought a new one for a new set of wheels, but haven't recieved the wheels yet.
SRAM works just fine with a Shimano drivetrain, at least it has for me. In fact I think the SRAM Cassette works better than a Shimano Cassette on my 105 setup.