Miche cassettes teeth chipped and broken

Ben C wrote:
> So do I need Yet Another Special Tool to get an 11t lockring off, or can
> I use the same one I use for my existing 13t minimum Campag stuff?

same tool for all
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Ben C wrote:
> So do I need Yet Another Special Tool to get an 11t lockring off, or can
> I use the same one I use for my existing 13t minimum Campag stuff?

that tool being also known as "Shimano UG freewheel tool"

On 2007-11-09, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

>> A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Although the general run of your argument is good, Campagnolo's most
>>> popular format CrMo cassette, Veloce, is under $100. Veloce cassettes
>>> allow cog swapping and don't have the 'features' of loud loosening
>>> carriers/rivets nor fast-wearing titanium cogs. The 11t-start models are
>>> a bit past $100 as they include a special smaller lockring for the
>>> special 11t end cog and the special riders who prefer 11t.

> Ben C wrote:
>> So do I need Yet Another Special Tool to get an 11t lockring off, or can
>> I use the same one I use for my existing 13t minimum Campag stuff?

> that tool being also known as "Shimano UG freewheel tool"

Thanks for the info. I actually have a sort of two-headed tool (I think
it's Park). One side is Shimano, the other Campag. The splines on each
side are slightly different.

But I think that's not Shimano UG freewheel, but Shimano HG freehub. Are
you saying UG freewheel is actually the same as Campag freehub?

Ben C wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I actually have a sort of two-headed tool (I think
> it's Park). One side is Shimano, the other Campag. The splines on each
> side are slightly different.
> But I think that's not Shimano UG freewheel, but Shimano HG freehub. Are
> you saying UG freewheel is actually the same as Campag freehub?

Yes, Campagnolo cassette/ BB spline is Shimano UG Freewheel spline.
Shimano HG cassette is different
--

On Nov 9, 1:21 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> that tool being also known as "Shimano UG freewheel tool"

> Ben C wrote:
> > Thanks for the info. I actually have a sort of two-headed tool (I think
> > it's Park). One side is Shimano, the other Campag. The splines on each
> > side are slightly different.
> > But I think that's not Shimano UG freewheel, but Shimano HG freehub. Are
> > you saying UG freewheel is actually the same as Campag freehub?

> Yes, Campagnolo cassette/ BB spline is Shimano UG Freewheel spline.

Truly a cosmic coincidence, that.

> Shimano HG cassette is different

Shimano wouldn't want to miss the chance to sell a new tool, every
little bit helps.

On Nov 8, 3:44 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Jim Higson wrote:
> >> Why not use the Campagnolo 11-25 10 speed cassettes?

> Chalo wrote:
> > $300 to $450 retail for Record, $210 to $220 for Chorus. You'd have
> > to be a stupendous chump to pay that for consumable bike parts. It's
> > just an exaggerated version of the basic problem with all 9-speed and
> > 10-speed parts, though.

> > I'll continue to pay about $20 for my favorite 7-speed freewheels.
> > There is no adequate virtue in 9- and 10-speed stuff to warrant the
> > difference in cost-- and I do own a bike with 9-speed SRAM X-7
> > drivetrain as a basis of comparison.

> Although the general run of your argument is good, Campagnolo's most
> popular format CrMo cassette, Veloce, is under $100. Veloce cassettes
> allow cog swapping and don't have the 'features' of loud loosening
> carriers/rivets nor fast-wearing titanium cogs. The 11t-start models are
> a bit past $100 as they include a special smaller lockring for the
> special 11t end cog and the special riders who prefer 11t.
> --

Agree, for the money, Veloce cassettes are excellent. Another
alternative not mentioned is IRD cassettes. For Campy, they offer 10
speed cassettes in steel, ranging from 11-23 to 12-28:
http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes_steel.html

IRD also offers an "alloy" (read - soft) cassette, but it is only for
Shimano-splined hubs:
http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes_alloy.html

The list price for the IRD "Elite" Campy splined cassette is about
$140:
http://store.interlocracing.com/10elcac.html

It also offers a "wide-range" Campy splined cassette in 12-32 for
$170:
http://store.interlocracing.com/10elcacra.html

Of course, if you want the standard steel cassettes, IRD Campy splined
retail for $80:
http://store.interlocracing.com/10coca.html

A definite alternative to the Campy Veloce and Miche cassettes!

On Nov 8, 3:44 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Jim Higson wrote:
> >> Why not use the Campagnolo 11-25 10 speed cassettes?

> Chalo wrote:
> > $300 to $450 retail for Record, $210 to $220 for Chorus. You'd have
> > to be a stupendous chump to pay that for consumable bike parts. It's
> > just an exaggerated version of the basic problem with all 9-speed and
> > 10-speed parts, though.

> > I'll continue to pay about $20 for my favorite 7-speed freewheels.
> > There is no adequate virtue in 9- and 10-speed stuff to warrant the
> > difference in cost-- and I do own a bike with 9-speed SRAM X-7
> > drivetrain as a basis of comparison.

> Although the general run of your argument is good, Campagnolo's most
> popular format CrMo cassette, Veloce, is under $100. Veloce cassettes
> allow cog swapping and don't have the 'features' of loud loosening
> carriers/rivets nor fast-wearing titanium cogs. The 11t-start models are
> a bit past $100 as they include a special smaller lockring for the
> special 11t end cog and the special riders who prefer 11t.
> --

Agree, for the money, Veloce cassettes are excellent. Another
alternative not mentioned is IRD cassettes. For Campy, they offer 10
speed cassettes in steel, ranging from 11-23 to 12-28:
http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes_steel.html

IRD also offers an "alloy" (read - soft) cassette, but it is only for
Shimano-splined hubs:
http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes_alloy.html

The list price for the IRD "Elite" Campy splined cassette is about
$140:
http://store.interlocracing.com/10elcac.html

It also offers a "wide-range" Campy splined cassette in 12-32 for
$170:
http://store.interlocracing.com/10elcacra.html

Of course, if you want the standard steel cassettes, IRD Campy splined
retail for $80:
http://store.interlocracing.com/10coca.html

A definite alternative to the Campy Veloce and Miche cassettes!

On Nov 8, 3:44 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Jim Higson wrote:
> >> Why not use the Campagnolo 11-25 10 speed cassettes?

> Chalo wrote:
> > $300 to $450 retail for Record, $210 to $220 for Chorus. You'd have
> > to be a stupendous chump to pay that for consumable bike parts. It's
> > just an exaggerated version of the basic problem with all 9-speed and
> > 10-speed parts, though.

> > I'll continue to pay about $20 for my favorite 7-speed freewheels.
> > There is no adequate virtue in 9- and 10-speed stuff to warrant the
> > difference in cost-- and I do own a bike with 9-speed SRAM X-7
> > drivetrain as a basis of comparison.

> Although the general run of your argument is good, Campagnolo's most
> popular format CrMo cassette, Veloce, is under $100. Veloce cassettes
> allow cog swapping and don't have the 'features' of loud loosening
> carriers/rivets nor fast-wearing titanium cogs.

That's what I need, I missed them earlier, must have been shopping in
the wrong places. I'm glad to hear I am not the only one wearing out
the Miche cogs, they are apparently **** in the shape of a cassette,
at a bargain price.

On Nov 8, 3:44 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Jim Higson wrote:
> >> Why not use the Campagnolo 11-25 10 speed cassettes?

> Chalo wrote:
> > $300 to $450 retail for Record, $210 to $220 for Chorus. You'd have
> > to be a stupendous chump to pay that for consumable bike parts. It's
> > just an exaggerated version of the basic problem with all 9-speed and
> > 10-speed parts, though.

> > I'll continue to pay about $20 for my favorite 7-speed freewheels.
> > There is no adequate virtue in 9- and 10-speed stuff to warrant the
> > difference in cost-- and I do own a bike with 9-speed SRAM X-7
> > drivetrain as a basis of comparison.

> Although the general run of your argument is good, Campagnolo's most
> popular format CrMo cassette, Veloce, is under $100. Veloce cassettes
> allow cog swapping and don't have the 'features' of loud loosening
> carriers/rivets nor fast-wearing titanium cogs.

That's what I need, I missed them earlier, must have been shopping in
the wrong places. I'm glad to hear I am not the only one wearing out
the Miche cogs, they are apparently **** in the shape of a cassette,
at a bargain price.

Criminy on toast! WTF is up with these prices? Are people really dumb
enough to spend that kind of money on stuff that has to be replaced
every year or two? Good grief!

Tim McNamara wrote:
> Criminy on toast! WTF is up with these prices? Are people really dumb
> enough to spend that kind of money on stuff that has to be replaced
> every year or two? Good grief!

You don't get out much. We remove hundreds of dollars worth of broken
gadgets in our service department weekly. O tempora O mores!
--

On Nov 8, 4:55 pm, Paul S <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have two of the Miche Campagnolo-compatible 10s cassettes in 11-25.
> It's a delightful gearing for riding hills with a 50/34 compact. Now
> with about 1500 miles on one cassette and perhaps 1000 on the other,
> they are starting to get shredded, one has lost two whole teeth and
> many are chipped or gouged. I have never seen this on the many Campy
> or Shimano cassettes I used on the same bikes, even on a stamped steel
> cassette like Veloce. I wish some higher quality manufacturers would
> pick up this gearing.

you can also get the replacement parts on ebay. i got my dura ace
cassettes for under $100. there are people or racers who use the
cassettes for less than 500 miles and get rid of them
regards,
carlos
www.bikingthings.com
Get Faster, Enjoy Cycling, Get Fit, Live Better.

A Muzi wrote:
> Tim McNamara wrote:
>> Criminy on toast! WTF is up with these prices? Are people really
>> dumb enough to spend that kind of money on stuff that has to be
>> replaced every year or two? Good grief!

> You don't get out much.

To the extent that- all of my bikes have steel frames, none currently
have brifters, the only one with indexed shifting has a 3 speed hub, all
my wheels have at least 32 spokes, I use tan wall carbon rubber tires,
and the only bike I own that was built in the past decade was the frame
I built myself- you're very much correct. I don't get out much in terms
of current bike gear. The old stuff hasn't worn out yet! The one
cassette hub I have uses a Shimano 8 speed cassette, the current and
spare of which cost me $30 each.

> We remove hundreds of dollars worth of broken gadgets in our service
> department weekly. O tempora O mores!

Even the chickpea complained that the world was falling apart 2100 years
ago. In politics plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. If the
politicians were right, humans would have vanished off the face of the
Earth long ago.