Miche cassettes teeth chipped and broken

A Muzi wrote:
> Tim McNamara wrote:
>> Criminy on toast! WTF is up with these prices? Are people really
>> dumb enough to spend that kind of money on stuff that has to be
>> replaced every year or two? Good grief!

> You don't get out much.

To the extent that- all of my bikes have steel frames, none currently
have brifters, the only one with indexed shifting has a 3 speed hub, all
my wheels have at least 32 spokes, I use tan wall carbon rubber tires,
and the only bike I own that was built in the past decade was the frame
I built myself- you're very much correct. I don't get out much in terms
of current bike gear. The old stuff hasn't worn out yet! The one
cassette hub I have uses a Shimano 8 speed cassette, the current and
spare of which cost me $30 each.

> We remove hundreds of dollars worth of broken gadgets in our service
> department weekly. O tempora O mores!

Even the chickpea complained that the world was falling apart 2100 years
ago. In politics plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. If the
politicians were right, humans would have vanished off the face of the
Earth long ago.

On Nov 10, 1:14 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Nov 8, 4:55 pm, Paul S <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I have two of the Miche Campagnolo-compatible 10s cassettes in 11-25.
> > It's a delightful gearing for riding hills with a 50/34 compact. Now
> > with about 1500 miles on one cassette and perhaps 1000 on the other,
> > they are starting to get shredded, one has lost two whole teeth and
> > many are chipped or gouged. I have never seen this on the many Campy
> > or Shimano cassettes I used on the same bikes, even on a stamped steel
> > cassette like Veloce. I wish some higher quality manufacturers would
> > pick up this gearing.

> you can also get the replacement parts on ebay. i got my dura ace
> cassettes for under $100. there are people or racers who use the
> cassettes for less than 500 miles and get rid of them

A *used* cassette for "under $100" - such a deal!!!!

On Nov 10, 2:10 pm, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> A Muzi wrote:
> > Tim McNamara wrote:
> >> Criminy on toast! WTF is up with these prices? Are people really
> >> dumb enough to spend that kind of money on stuff that has to be
> >> replaced every year or two? Good grief!

> > You don't get out much.

> To the extent that- all of my bikes have steel frames, none currently
> have brifters, the only one with indexed shifting has a 3 speed hub, all
> my wheels have at least 32 spokes, I use tan wall carbon rubber tires,
> and the only bike I own that was built in the past decade was the frame
> I built myself- you're very much correct. I don't get out much in terms
> of current bike gear. The old stuff hasn't worn out yet! The one
> cassette hub I have uses a Shimano 8 speed cassette, the current and
> spare of which cost me $30 each.

The price of 10 speed consumables is what keeps me from "upgrading."
Although I ride a carbon frame (Calfee tetra with Kestrel carbon
fork), have Campy ergo levers and a variety of cassette hubs (both
Shimano and Campy), I too use tan wall carbon rubber tires (have a
very small stash of Avocet Fasgrip 700x28 tires and 32h wheels. I am
still using 9 speed cassettes as I can still find them in the $40-50
range. I use Shimano Ultegra 9 12-27 cassettes on my Shimano 9 hubs
and have both Campy 13-28 and Miche 12-27 9 speed cassettes for my
Campy rear hub. All seem to work fine.

On Nov 11, 8:54 am, bfd <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2:10 pm, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > A Muzi wrote:

> > > You don't get out much.

> > To the extent that- all of my bikes have steel frames, none currently
> > have brifters, the only one with indexed shifting has a 3 speed hub, all
> > my wheels have at least 32 spokes, I use tan wall carbon rubber tires,
> > and the only bike I own that was built in the past decade was the frame
> > I built myself- you're very much correct. I don't get out much in terms
> > of current bike gear. The old stuff hasn't worn out yet! The one
> > cassette hub I have uses a Shimano 8 speed cassette, the current and
> > spare of which cost me $30 each.

> The price of 10 speed consumables is what keeps me from "upgrading."
> Although I ride a carbon frame (Calfee tetra with Kestrel carbon
> fork), have Campy ergo levers and a variety of cassette hubs (both
> Shimano and Campy), I too use tan wall carbon rubber tires (have a
> very small stash of Avocet Fasgrip 700x28 tires and 32h wheels. I am
> still using 9 speed cassettes as I can still find them in the $40-50
> range. I use Shimano Ultegra 9 12-27 cassettes on my Shimano 9 hubs
> and have both Campy 13-28 and Miche 12-27 9 speed cassettes for my
> Campy rear hub. All seem to work fine.

Oh yeah, and don't forget about the chain. 10 speed chains are
narrower and supposedly last as little as 1000 miles. When you look at
the costs of 10 speed chains, KMC or equivalent start at about $25 or
so and other brands can climb up to $70, and that's for steel!

I usually get at least 3000 miles on a 9 speed chain, while 8 speed
and lower can last even longer. And yes, I ride alot of hills in the
SF Bay Area.

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:44:07 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

>Although the general run of your argument is good, Campagnolo's most
>popular format CrMo cassette, Veloce, is under $100.

Cheerist. And I thought 50 for one step below Dura Ace was expensive.

>Veloce cassettes allow cog swapping

That's not a feature, it's a bug. So do my Deore cheapo cassettes.

>The 11t-start models are
>a bit past $100 as they include a special smaller lockring for the
>special 11t end cog and the special riders who prefer 11t.

And is that lockring, besides 'special', also more expensive to fabricate?
Or are they just gouging their customers because they can?

Jasper

On Nov 11, 5:37 pm, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:44:07 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Although the general run of your argument is good, Campagnolo's most
> >popular format CrMo cassette, Veloce, is under $100.

> Cheerist. And I thought 50 for one step below Dura Ace was expensive.
>
> >Veloce cassettes allow cog swapping

> That's not a feature, it's a bug. So do my Deore cheapo cassettes.
>
> >The 11t-start models are
> >a bit past $100 as they include a special smaller lockring for the
> >special 11t end cog and the special riders who prefer 11t.

> And is that lockring, besides 'special', also more expensive to fabricate?
> Or are they just gouging their customers because they can?
>
> Jasper

Not more expensive to fabricate. But the 12/13 lockring is included
with Campy hubs, therefore not with the cassettes. The 11t Lockring is
included with 11t cassettes, hence the higher price.

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Although the general run of your argument is good, Campagnolo's most
>> popular format CrMo cassette, Veloce, is under $100.

> Cheerist. And I thought 50 for one step below Dura Ace was expensive.

>> Veloce cassettes allow cog swapping

> That's not a feature, it's a bug. So do my Deore cheapo cassettes.

>> The 11t-start models are
>> a bit past $100 as they include a special smaller lockring for the
>> special 11t end cog and the special riders who prefer 11t.

> And is that lockring, besides 'special', also more expensive to fabricate?
> Or are they just gouging their customers because they can?

I cannot speak to their motivation but a standard size lockring is
included with the hub. Changing to 11t start in most systems, including
Campagnolo, requires a bit of kludge, in this case, a different lockring
which ships with cassette. One might argue that the 2d cassette with
11-start includes a forced spare lockring.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org