Miche or Marchisio?

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
Has anyone ever used Miche Primato cassettes or Marchisio cassettes? I'm on a never ending quest to find a well performing 12-27 (or, at worst, 11-27) 10 spd cassette for Campy. I absolutely do not want an aluminum cassette. If Cycle Dynamics were still functioning, I'd just get a couple of cogs to replace the last two on my 12-25 CD cassette. It worked well enough. Recon makes an 11-25 and possibly a 12-25 ti cassette, but at a red moist peachfish hair over $200, that's kinda steep for something that would only be used for rides with lots o' climbing and/or stupid steep grades.

The Miche cassettes are $70-ish, which is a nice price. I dunno what Marchisio cassettes cost and sourcing them could be creatively challenging.

So?

...I tried both and they're not as perfect as a real campy one. a Record cassette, like the pro', isn't enough for you? In Italy Miche costs 35€, Marchisio near 90€...

moreover both the two cassettes are in ergal, that is an aluminium alloy...

Sikhandar said:
...I tried both and they're not as perfect as a real campy one. a Record cassette, like the pro', isn't enough for you? In Italy Miche costs 35€, Marchisio near 90€...

moreover both the two cassettes are in ergal, that is an aluminium alloy...

The Primato is steel, while the Supertype is aluminum. Real Campy doesn't come in a 12-27. When the grade gets steep, the difference between a 26T and a 27T isn't trivial. I don't want a 13-29. I don't care if an aftermarket cassette doesn't shift quite as nice as a Campy. The Cycle Dynamics 12-25 I have and used in the past, shifted just fine, with not much difference in shift quality from the Campy stuff.

Record cassette? Besides being overpriced to me, it still doesn't have the gearing I want. I'll pay a higher price to get the gearing I want.

alienator said:
Has anyone ever used Miche Primato cassettes or Marchisio cassettes? I'm on a never ending quest to find a well performing 12-27 (or, at worst, 11-27) 10 spd cassette for Campy. I absolutely do not want an aluminum cassette. If Cycle Dynamics were still functioning, I'd just get a couple of cogs to replace the last two on my 12-25 CD cassette. It worked well enough. Recon makes an 11-25 and possibly a 12-25 ti cassette, but at a red moist peachfish hair over $200, that's kinda steep for something that would only be used for rides with lots o' climbing and/or stupid steep grades.

The Miche cassettes are $70-ish, which is a nice price. I dunno what Marchisio cassettes cost and sourcing them could be creatively challenging.

So?

We tried some Miche and all had mis made smallest cog. Not centered. Later ones that had a proper smallest ring shifted worse than poorly.

Veloce has a 10s 11-25. 11s has a 12-27.

Peter@vecchios said:
We tried some Miche and all had mis made smallest cog. Not centered. Later ones that had a proper smallest ring shifted worse than poorly.

Veloce has a 10s 11-25. 11s has a 12-27.

I should have said that Recon makes 11-27 and possibly 12-27. I'm already using an 11-25 Campy cassette. The jam I want spread on my toast is a 27T cog. 11s doesn't help if I'm not going that route, yet.

alienator said:
I should have said that Recon makes 11-27 and possibly 12-27. I'm already using an 11-25 Campy cassette. The jam I want spread on my toast is a 27T cog. 11s doesn't help if I'm not going that route, yet.

I agree that Campagnolo doesn't do a good job in cogset ratios, IMO. I'd love to see 11 and 12 thru 29...like 11-23, 11-25, 11-27, 11-29 and with 12 starts as well.

Peter@vecchios said:
I agree that Campagnolo doesn't do a good job in cogset ratios, IMO. I'd love to see 11 and 12 thru 29...like 11-23, 11-25, 11-27, 11-29 and with 12 starts as well.

Yeah, I don't really understand how Campy made their ratio decisions. It's odd to go from 11-25 or 12-25 to 13-26 and 13-29. 13-26 seems the odd man out, whereas 11 or 12-27 would have been a more sensible choice. With a few of the descents around here, 11 and 12T cogs get used quite a bit. On group ride, too, they come in handy.

For now, even a $200 aftermarket cassette is less than half the cost of 11s shifters with an 11s cassette and chain.

alienator said:
Yeah, I don't really understand how Campy made their ratio decisions. It's odd to go from 11-25 or 12-25 to 13-26 and 13-29. 13-26 seems the odd man out, whereas 11 or 12-27 would have been a more sensible choice. With a few of the descents around here, 11 and 12T cogs get used quite a bit. On group ride, too, they come in handy.

For now, even a $200 aftermarket cassette is less than half the cost of 11s shifters with an 11s cassette and chain.

Way less. But I think a Chorus 11s casette is $270, chain is $70, shifters in the $350 range. Speaking from memory, all my prices are at the shop.