Miche rear hub cups replaceable?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dana Kilalps, May 3, 2003.

  1. Dana Kilalps

    Dana Kilalps Guest

    I have come by some wheels with Miche hubs. One rear cup is damaged. It looks like the cup is a
    separate part pressed into the hub. Is the cup in fact replaceable? Where could replacement cups be
    obtained? How are the old cups removed?

    The cassette lockring has a different pattern from the Park BBT-5 removal tool I expected would
    work. The lockring splines are rounded, not square. I'm thinking that may be a Shimano lockring on
    there. Is that possible? Is it something else?

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Dana Kilalps <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have come by some wheels with Miche hubs. One rear cup is damaged. It looks like the cup is a
    >separate part pressed into the hub. Is the cup in fact replaceable? Where could replacement cups be
    >obtained? How are the old cups removed?

    I think your only chance is if an old Campy bearing cup will work in that hub. Rebuilding the wheel
    with a new cassette hub would be a much better use of time in my opinion.

    >The cassette lockring has a different pattern from the Park BBT-5 removal tool I expected would
    >work. The lockring splines are rounded, not square. I'm thinking that may be a Shimano lockring on
    >there. Is that possible? Is it something else?

    Are you sure it's a cassette? I would assume you're looking at the splines of a freewheel and not
    a lockring.

    --Paul

  3. Dave Abraham

    Dave Abraham Guest

    probly. a freewheel, not a cassette..see: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html HTH

    Dave Abraham New Wheel ~ Hokie Spokes Beautiful SW VA voice: (540) 552-7765 (or) 731-1211 FAX:
    552-7768 (or) 731-0666 "Treating every bike like our own.."

    "Dana Kilalps" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have come by some wheels with Miche hubs. One rear cup is damaged. It looks like the cup is a
    > separate part pressed into the hub. Is the cup in fact replaceable? Where could replacement cups
    > be obtained? How are the old cups removed?
    >
    > The cassette lockring has a different pattern from the Park BBT-5 removal tool I expected would
    > work. The lockring splines are rounded, not square. I'm thinking that may be a Shimano lockring on
    > there. Is that possible? Is it something else?

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Dana Kilalps" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have come by some wheels with Miche hubs. One rear cup is damaged. It looks like the cup is a
    > separate part pressed into the hub. Is the cup in fact replaceable? Where could replacement cups
    > be obtained? How are the old cups removed?
    >
    > The cassette lockring has a different pattern from the Park BBT-5 removal tool I expected would
    > work. The lockring splines are rounded, not square. I'm thinking that may be a Shimano lockring on
    > there. Is that possible?
    Is
    > it something else?

    Many Miche products interchange with Campagnolo small parts. Your competent LBS may be able to
    measure the cup in situ and compare with a Campagnolo one. Replacing hub cups is a job best left to
    your LBS IMHO unless you are familiar with removing/setting small bearings or other similar stuff
    and you're handy in tool fabrication. The spline is most likely the same as Shimano's freewheel
    which is also Campagnolo's cassette lockring format. Again a quick ride to the a competent
    neighborhood bike shop could answer that easily.

    For so many things like your problem, a guy with several parts in front of him/her and a caliper is
    way ahead of us ( who cannot see your hub. . . )