Michele Bartoli - Retires !

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Cycling News carries the story that Michele Bartoli has announced his retirement at the age of 34.

Bartoli says that the 2004 season was very bad and that he thinks he can no longer compete at the top of the sport.

For me, Bartoli was a very classy rider - excellent one day racer (in the mid-late 1990's, he won and was competing for, many Classics).
I watched him closely during the 2004 TDF to see how much he'd contribute to CSC following his transfer to them last winter.

Seems that it didn't work out after all.

Yup, Michele is out. Sad to see him go on such a 'low' note. His performances at the Lombardia have been memorable recently, to say nothing of his earlier classics wins!

Ciao Michele! :(

limerickman said:
Cycling News carries the story that Michele Bartoli has announced his retirement at the age of 34.

Bartoli says that the 2004 season was very bad and that he thinks he can no longer compete at the top of the sport.

For me, Bartoli was a very classy rider - excellent one day racer (in the mid-late 1990's, he won and was competing for, many Classics).
I watched him closely during the 2004 TDF to see how much he'd contribute to CSC following his transfer to them last winter.

Seems that it didn't work out after all.
One of the top riders ever. I actually operator the same bicycle as his. Great poster of my idol hanging on my wall at my office

I've got to agree gents - one thing that struck me about Michele was that he never developed in to a great grand tour rider.

He reminded me of an Argentin-type of rider - fantastic classic rider.
I thought he had the ability to become a great three week rider.
Sadly we'll never know now.

Saw him in this years TDF - tried to get an autograph but did manage to do so.

Maybe his back injuries were too serious. Too bad.
CSC seems to be the place to go to revive your career.
Just imagine if Jan went there instead of Coast, maybe Lance wouldn't be a six time winner now.