Michelin Carbon

Spacegh()st

Aug 17, 2005
Thinking of getting a new set of tires to replace the Bontrager Selects that came on my bike. I plan on using them for training/endurance riding. Anyone have experience with Michelin Carbons?

Spacegh()st said:
Thinking of getting a new set of tires to replace the Bontrager Selects that came on my bike. I plan on using them for training/endurance riding. Anyone have experience with Michelin Carbons?
I've had pretty good experience with the Michelin Carbons in the past (previously Axial Carbons) with outstanding wear and reasonable puncture resistance for their weight. Handling and feel seemed pretty good in the dry, but I've always felt that they got a bit dicey in the wet. By comparison, in the same general category, I would say that I felt that Continental GP 4-Seasons handled a little surer on slick pavement, but wore quicker and were a bit pricier.

I tried them a few years back and didn't like them. I thought the ride was too "soft" and they appeared to get slits pretty easily. If I remember correctly I retired them after about 2-300 miles or so. I've been happy with Vittoria Rubino Pro's--they ride very nicely, and I've never had any real problems with them. Either way, check out tire prices at www.probikekit.com when you are ready to order. I know their prices on Vittoria are really low, but they carry others too (shipping to US took 4 days for my last tire order).

Spacegh()st said:

Great tire. I normally race with Pro Race, but like the longevity of the Carbons. Not much heavier and a similar ride. Most web retailers have them for about $35 each.

I used to use 'em. They were just fine in the dry, but as someone else noted, they felt a bit sub-optimal in the wet. Ride quality was always fine. I've switched, now, to Maxxis Hors Categories. The ride is about the same, maybe a bit more supple (at the same pressure), but the Maxxis tires feel muy better in the wet. Cut resistance is about the same, as is puncture resistance. A bonus is that the Maxxis tires come in a nice color combo: black and grey. Don't need no stinking bright colors on my tires.

Well I had a pair but ...after 800 miles, the beads gave out so I had to get a new set. Other than that, I like the soft ride...can't tell you about its durability though. I also know another guy had the same thing happened to him but he had accumulated 1500 miles on his.

I prefer the Pro Race 2 or, even better, the Vittoria Open Corsa range - look at the KS for instance as a good comparison to the Carbon...

2k on my Axial Carbons. Very little signs of wear, and they have been, in a word, cutproof. Like some other posters mentioned, its like driving on ice when its wet though.

I love mine. As long as you replace them when they start getting worn, your life will be relatively puncture free.

They are good tires, but Tufo Tubular Clinchers are better for both racing and training. The benefits of a tubular, without the messy glue or tape. I have used both brands and will not part with the Tufo line ever in this lifetime. I'm done with the traditional tire/tube combo. :)

Spacegh()st said: