Michelin Krylion Carbon TS tires

tony

Guest
I purchased these tires to replace the Bontrager race x lites that came
on my Trek 5200. I have been riding with them for about a week and
have put about 150 miles on them. The main thing that I notice so far
is that the ride is much harsher than my old tires at the same
pressure. I am going to try running lower pressure to see if that
helps but for me the ride is unacceptable as it is now. Does anyone
have suggestions for tires with ride similar to the race x lites?

tony wrote:

> I purchased these tires to replace the Bontrager race x lites that came
> on my Trek 5200. I have been riding with them for about a week and
> have put about 150 miles on them. The main thing that I notice so far
> is that the ride is much harsher than my old tires at the same
> pressure. I am going to try running lower pressure to see if that
> helps but for me the ride is unacceptable as it is now.

Strange, these (and some other Michelin ) tires were tested as "best buy" by
FIETS magazine in Holland.

Gr, Derk

"Derk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> tony wrote:
>
> > I purchased these tires to replace the Bontrager race x lites that came
> > on my Trek 5200. I have been riding with them for about a week and
> > have put about 150 miles on them. The main thing that I notice so far
> > is that the ride is much harsher than my old tires at the same
> > pressure. I am going to try running lower pressure to see if that
> > helps but for me the ride is unacceptable as it is now.

> Strange, these (and some other Michelin ) tires were tested as "best buy"

by
> FIETS magazine in Holland.

I find it also difficult to believe that changing to a different tire with
the same width and running at the same pressure lead to an onacceptable
harsh ride noticable after only 150 miles. These must be really terrible
tires....

Lou

tony wrote:
> I purchased these tires to replace the Bontrager race x lites that came
> on my Trek 5200. I have been riding with them for about a week and
> have put about 150 miles on them. The main thing that I notice so far
> is that the ride is much harsher than my old tires at the same
> pressure. I am going to try running lower pressure to see if that
> helps but for me the ride is unacceptable as it is now. Does anyone
> have suggestions for tires with ride similar to the race x lites?

Hmm...are the tires the same *actual* size? Never mind what the
advertised size is.

tony wrote:

> Does anyone
> have suggestions for tires with ride similar to the race x lites?

Race X Lites.

HTH, BS

I don't know if they are terrible but my hands get numb and I feel much
more road vibration than the old tires. I never really thought I was
picky about tires but I really notice the difference with these. I
bought them because of the great reviews. It is raining here today but
I will try again with lower pressure and see if they feel better.

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 02:21:38 -0700, tony wrote:

> I purchased these tires to replace the Bontrager race x lites that came
> on my Trek 5200. I have been riding with them for about a week and
> have put about 150 miles on them. The main thing that I notice so far
> is that the ride is much harsher than my old tires at the same
> pressure. I am going to try running lower pressure to see if that
> helps but for me the ride is unacceptable as it is now. Does anyone
> have suggestions for tires with ride similar to the race x lites?

Any top of the line race tire will be similar -- Michelin Pro2 Race,
Vittoria Evo series, etc. I'm surprised you find the Carbon so different,
and unacceptable. They're some of the most popular tires around, being
*almost* as smooth as the smoothest race tires, but more durable and less
expensive. I'm riding some now and I think they're great. I run them at
7-8 bar.

If you want a smooth ride, the hot ticket is a bigger cross section. Some
good race tires like Michelins are available in 25mm and larger sizes, but
you have to search for them. For some reason the fashion police have
decided we should all be riding on 23mm or narrower.

Matt O.

tony wrote:
> I purchased these tires to replace the Bontrager race x lites that came
> on my Trek 5200. I have been riding with them for about a week and
> have put about 150 miles on them. The main thing that I notice so far
> is that the ride is much harsher than my old tires at the same
> pressure.

Measure the width of the tires accurately, preferably with a calipers.
Running a wider tire at the same pressure as a narrower tire results in
a harsher ride. You can however lower the pressure in a wider tire more
than enough to compensate, and end up with a softer ride.

For these two sets of tires, its not possible for the ride to be
harsher for any other reason related to the tires. Perhaps you were
running the old ones at lower pressure than you thought? Are you using
new tubes? Perhaps the old ones were losing air faster than you
thought.