Michelin Krylion carbon

MikeyOz

New Member
Aug 12, 2003
well it was time for new tyres for me and I was perusing the ProBike web site... and decided to go the big bucks and try some of these new Krylions....will be putting them on soon and see how they go.

Anybody else got any ?? Anything positive or negative about them....

can't say I was overly impressed with the GP4000's, the one I had on the rear seemed to rip up pretty bad if anything a little quicker and a bit worse than the Pro Race II's that I had been using, so I will probably revert back to the Michys.

"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> well it was time for new tyres for me and I was perusing the ProBike web
> site... and decided to go the big bucks and try some of these new
> Krylions....will be putting them on soon and see how they go.
>
> Anybody else got any ?? Anything positive or negative about them....

I've used Michelin Carbons in 23mm width (not branded as the new fangled
name, I bet they're the same though, with maybe a different casing) and they
have excellent wear characteristics, puncture resistance and they roll
pretty well too. They are exceptional at resisting cutting which usually
destroys tyres faster than I can wear them out. I even have trouble
wearing them out on the rollers at home, which is where they end up towards
the end of their life. Sidewalls are pretty much indestructable.

Don't be fooled by the marketting of the word 'carbon' - its really
referring to 'carbon black' in the rubber compound , which is what all tyres
used to have in them to increase tyre longevity ebfore they started muching
about with the silca compounds (which cut pretty easy).... so they're sort
of retro - what's old is new again!

Gemm

Gemma_k said:
Don't be fooled by the marketting of the word 'carbon' - its really
referring to 'carbon black' in the rubber compound , which is what all tyres
used to have in them to increase tyre longevity ebfore they started muching
about with the silca compounds (which cut pretty easy).... so they're sort
of retro - what's old is new again!
Gemm

nah... I'm not toooo fooled.... I figure a lot of the price is in those words.. however im glad to hear the review, because I have found the pro race and the gp's both tear up really bad... big cuts... so hopefully these will last a little longer by the sounds of it.

cheers

I've got Michy carbons (assume they're the samething) on a few of my bikes, and love em to bits. They last forages, and stillride pretty well. They run a little wider than other tyres, so the 23s are more likea 25, and the 25s are more like a 28.

I see they have Rubino Pros for like $24... That's barely more expensive than tubes. How bad can they be for that money?

Cheers,

Suzy

suzyj wrote:
> I see they have Rubino Pros for like $24... That's barely more
> expensive than tubes. How bad can they be for that money?

I've used several sets of Rubino Pro foldings and keep going back for
more - four years now? They last well, don't cut up, don't throw me off
and don't puncture often. I suspect they are a bit slow (well,
something makes me slow!). I'd be dumb to switch to something else if
these are working for me. Happy to hear if they really are slow or
corner badly, but that's not my feeling.

donga

In article <[email protected]>,
suzyj <[email protected]> wrote:

> I see they have Rubino Pros for like $24... That's barely more
> expensive than tubes. How bad can they be for that money?

They're the first tyres I've actually worn out. I keep trying to fault
them, but can't really. I run the 25s, but people I ride with are more
than happy with the 23s.

--
Shane Stanley

MikeyOz wrote:
> well it was time for new tyres for me and I was perusing the ProBike web
> site... and decided to go the big bucks and try some of these new
> Krylions....will be putting them on soon and see how they go.

long lasting, I didn't like them in the wet much though -
grip/longevity compromise is a long way towards longevity with these
tyres.

> Anybody else got any ?? Anything positive or negative about them....
>
> can't say I was overly impressed with the GP4000's, the one I had on
> the rear seemed to rip up pretty bad if anything a little quicker and a
> bit worse than the Pro Race II's that I had been using, so I will
> probably revert back to the Michys.

They are soft compound race tyres, you won't get much out of them
before they're worn out and shredded. I used to get about 1500km out
of a pro race rear before it was worn to the belts. Not a
commuting/training tyre, unless you have a lot of money to burn :)

Bleve said:
long lasting, I didn't like them in the wet much though -
grip/longevity compromise is a long way towards longevity with these
tyres.

'nother vote for 'carbons'. so what IS good in wet?
Perhaps I need ANOTHER bike?!?! The 'Wet weather' bike...

"That's NOT cummin in the house!@#!!"
"But honeeeeeeyyyy..."

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:11:37 +1000, flyingdutch wrote:

> Perhaps I need ANOTHER bike?!?! The 'Wet weather' bike...
>
> "That's NOT cummin in the house!@#!!"
> "But honeeeeeeyyyy..."

Your wet weather bike should be a POS (preferably SS or fixed) so that you
don't give a rat's about the grit killing expensive parts. Therefore it
should be able to live outside.

The next step down is the station bike, which is just barely functional
enough to be quicker than walking to the station. A bike that'll be left
all day needs to be ridiculously inexpensive, so stuff you find on the
side of the road and can't be bothered making half decent.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Lithospheric flight paths typically result in extremely high drag

suzyj wrote:

> I see they have Rubino Pros for like $24... That's barely more
> expensive than tubes. How bad can they be for that money?

Yup..

just picked myself up four Rubino Pro slicks at that price.

Have only had one on the back for a week now.. but it doesn't seem to
be cut by any bogan droppings yet.

Will report back in 6 months (~ 6k)

duncan

Duncan wrote:
> suzyj wrote:
>
> > I see they have Rubino Pros for like $24... That's barely more
> > expensive than tubes. How bad can they be for that money?

> Yup..
>
> just picked myself up four Rubino Pro slicks at that price.
>
> Have only had one on the back for a week now.. but it doesn't seem to
> be cut by any bogan droppings yet.
>
> Will report back in 6 months (~ 6k)
>
> duncan

Another vote for the Rubino Pros.

I have 'em on my bike (commuter/trainer/racer), and have absolutely no
complaints. About 2000km so far with no punctures and still in OK
shape.

They may be a 'slow' tyre, but I really wouldn't know. I'm pretty
certain my tyres aren't the key reason I keep getting dropped in
crits... *grins*

Cheers,
Abby

Absent Husband wrote:

> Duncan wrote:
> > suzyj wrote:
> >
> > > I see they have Rubino Pros for like $24... That's barely more
> > > expensive than tubes. How bad can they be for that money?

> > Yup..
> >
> > just picked myself up four Rubino Pro slicks at that price.
> >
> > Have only had one on the back for a week now.. but it doesn't seem to
> > be cut by any bogan droppings yet.
> >
> > Will report back in 6 months (~ 6k)
> >
> > duncan

> Another vote for the Rubino Pros.
>
> I have 'em on my bike (commuter/trainer/racer), and have absolutely no
> complaints. About 2000km so far with no punctures and still in OK
> shape.
>
> They may be a 'slow' tyre, but I really wouldn't know. I'm pretty
> certain my tyres aren't the key reason I keep getting dropped in
> crits... *grins*
>
> Cheers,
> Abby

Go with it Abby, just blame it on the tyres... ;-)

Absent Husband wrote:
> Duncan wrote:
>> suzyj wrote:
>>
>>> I see they have Rubino Pros for like $24... That's barely more
>>> expensive than tubes. How bad can they be for that money?

>> Yup..
>>
>> just picked myself up four Rubino Pro slicks at that price.
>>
>> Have only had one on the back for a week now.. but it doesn't seem to
>> be cut by any bogan droppings yet.
>>
>> Will report back in 6 months (~ 6k)
>>
>> duncan

> Another vote for the Rubino Pros.
>
> I have 'em on my bike (commuter/trainer/racer), and have absolutely no
> complaints. About 2000km so far with no punctures and still in OK
> shape.
>
> They may be a 'slow' tyre, but I really wouldn't know. I'm pretty
> certain my tyres aren't the key reason I keep getting dropped in
> crits... *grins*
>
> Cheers,
> Abby

I've got Rubino Pros on my "training" bike. They're not
too bad and a good price. I would say that compared with
the ProRace 2s I've got on the "racing" bike they don't
feel as "grippy". This view might be somewhat influenced
by the off I had a few weeks while negotiating a round-a-bout
on the Rubinos when it was a bit wet. I think the Rubinos have
a harder compound which might wear better but doesn't grip
quite as well. Of course, YMMV (we are talking tyres here!).

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

DeF, > wrote:

> Absent Husband wrote:
> > Duncan wrote:

> >> Yup..
> >>
> >> just picked myself up four Rubino Pro slicks at that price.
> >>
> >> Have only had one on the back for a week now.. but it doesn't seem to
> >> be cut by any bogan droppings yet.
> >>
> >> Will report back in 6 months (~ 6k)
> >>
> >> duncan

> > Another vote for the Rubino Pros.
> >
> > I have 'em on my bike (commuter/trainer/racer), and have absolutely no
> > complaints. About 2000km so far with no punctures and still in OK
> > shape.
> >
> > They may be a 'slow' tyre, but I really wouldn't know. I'm pretty
> > certain my tyres aren't the key reason I keep getting dropped in
> > crits... *grins*
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Abby
> >

> I've got Rubino Pros on my "training" bike. They're not
> too bad and a good price. I would say that compared with
> the ProRace 2s I've got on the "racing" bike they don't
> feel as "grippy". This view might be somewhat influenced
> by the off I had a few weeks while negotiating a round-a-bout
> on the Rubinos when it was a bit wet. I think the Rubinos have
> a harder compound which might wear better but doesn't grip
> quite as well. Of course, YMMV (we are talking tyres here!).
>
> DeF.

My better-looking, faster-riding half would concur with your opinion
there. I use the Michelin ProRace 2s on my race bike also, and I can't
compare them to the Rubino Pros, but they're grippier and faster than
the Zaffiros, and much grippier than Conti ultra sports.

Tam

On 2006-06-13, Random Data (aka Bruce)
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:11:37 +1000, flyingdutch wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I need ANOTHER bike?!?! The 'Wet weather' bike...
>>
>> "That's NOT cummin in the house!@#!!"
>> "But honeeeeeeyyyy..."

> Your wet weather bike should be a POS (preferably SS or fixed) so that you
> don't give a rat's about the grit killing expensive parts. Therefore it
> should be able to live outside.

I was a bit more nervous than usual riding the fixie in the wet. One
hesitation with the pedals, and I think you would be flatter faster on
your face (oooh, alliteration).

--
TimC
>Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.

You're saying cats are the opposite of bijectiveness? -- ST in RHOD

TimC wrote:
> On 2006-06-13, Random Data (aka Bruce)
> > On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:11:37 +1000, flyingdutch wrote:
> >
> >> Perhaps I need ANOTHER bike?!?! The 'Wet weather' bike...
> >>
> >> "That's NOT cummin in the house!@#!!"
> >> "But honeeeeeeyyyy..."

> > Your wet weather bike should be a POS (preferably SS or fixed) so that you
> > don't give a rat's about the grit killing expensive parts. Therefore it
> > should be able to live outside.

> I was a bit more nervous than usual riding the fixie in the wet. One
> hesitation with the pedals, and I think you would be flatter faster on
> your face (oooh, alliteration).
>
> --
> TimC
> >Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.

> You're saying cats are the opposite of bijectiveness? -- ST in RHOD

And which bike did you last crash in the wet?

I use my fixie almost exclusively for commuting type riding, including
wet weather and don't think that it is more likely to come unstuck than
any other bike.

If you stop pedalling the rear wheel will leave the road and you'll get
a kick in the butt!

PiledHIgher

suzyj wrote:
> <snip>
>
> I see they have Rubino Pros for like $24... That's barely more
> expensive than tubes. How bad can they be for that money?

Wow tubes have gone up a lot since last time I bought some. Glad I've
gone tubeless.

Parbs

On 2006-06-14, PiledHigher (aka Bruce)
> And which bike did you last crash in the wet?

Yeah, but I rode the fixie a total of what, 15 times? I ride the
roady approximately 720 times a year.

> I use my fixie almost exclusively for commuting type riding, including
> wet weather and don't think that it is more likely to come unstuck than
> any other bike.

Not if you are used to it, maybe. If you alternate between bikes,
fixed and free, I would imagine there's a bit of crossover time when
you are liable to commit errors.

> If you stop pedalling the rear wheel will leave the road and you'll get
> a kick in the butt!

I was going around a corner a bit hot (not a problem on the roady --
I've recently gotten much better at picking a line on this particular
corner, and now don't ever use the brake except when it is wet (or
there are cars going the other way), but on the fixie, the pedals have
a nasty tendency to threaten to dig in) in my one and only fixie
scare. The bike skipped certainly, but the front wheel kept true to
it's mark. In the wet, I wouldn't think that would be the case.

--
TimC
"You can't trust any bugger further than you can

TimC wrote:
> On 2006-06-14, PiledHigher (aka Bruce)
> > And which bike did you last crash in the wet?

> Yeah, but I rode the fixie a total of what, 15 times? I ride the
> roady approximately 720 times a year.
>
> > I use my fixie almost exclusively for commuting type riding, including
> > wet weather and don't think that it is more likely to come unstuck than
> > any other bike.

> Not if you are used to it, maybe. If you alternate between bikes,
> fixed and free, I would imagine there's a bit of crossover time when
> you are liable to commit errors.
>
> > If you stop pedalling the rear wheel will leave the road and you'll get
> > a kick in the butt!

> I was going around a corner a bit hot (not a problem on the roady --
> I've recently gotten much better at picking a line on this particular
> corner, and now don't ever use the brake except when it is wet (or
> there are cars going the other way), but on the fixie, the pedals have
> a nasty tendency to threaten to dig in) in my one and only fixie
> scare. The bike skipped certainly, but the front wheel kept true to
> it's mark. In the wet, I wouldn't think that would be the case.
>
> --
> TimC
> "You can't trust any bugger further than you can
> throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it,
> so let's have a drink." -- Terry Pratchett

I swap a couple of times between fixed and non fixed every week.

Once you have learned to not stop pedalling on the fixed I don't
believe it is a big issue, yes stopping pedalling in a corner in the
wet will be troublesome. That said I find I'm more likely to stop
pedalling when going in a straight line...

The pedals are futher from the ground than you realise (I have an
additional buffer with 7.5 mm difference between fixed and roadie
cranks).

You should not be braking through a corner in the wet, rather than
before it, I hope that is just poor written expression rather than
actual practice.

FWIW, I bought my Krylion from probikekit (700*23C) recently and just
installed them last night (it was hard!) and did my first 70km ride on Beach
Road this morning. Too early to tell but they do feel "stiffer" than my
almost worn out Bontrager Race-X-Lite (~5000km on those soft race tyres, ~4
flats, Beach Road must be easy on tyres, I guess, or I am just too weak and
slow). Krylion's seem to roll a bit worse but I expected it since
Race-X-Lite is a lighter, sticky, soft race tyre and Krylion is a heavier
training hard wearing tyre.

If you check out www.roadbikereview.com you will see Michelin Carbon (also
known in the past as Axiom Carbon but now Krylion) tend to have good overall
user reviews (careful when wet!). I bought my Krylion based on good puncture
resistance and high km based on those reviews. The reason they are
relatively expensive is because they are new 2006 model. In 6-12 months you
will buy them cheaper on probikekit.com.

stay upright