Michelin Krylion Carbon

RedRider2009 said:
Has anybody tried these? Pros and Cons? How much do these cost per pair? Thanks
I'm using Krylions. I haven't really got anything to compare them too so can't really help. they seem to be holding up pretty well. Can't really fault them.
Pro bike kit have them for $28 USD each plus postage

I have a Krylion Carbon on my rear. It's absolutely bombproof! I have not had a flat in over 6 months of considerable riding. (Knock on wood) The durability is the reason I got this tire. I am actually thinking of changing the tube, even though it's not flat.:cool:

They seem to roll pretty well too, but as far as actual grams, rolling resistance, etc. I'm not sure how they stack up to the higher-end tires. I am about to purchase some Pro3 Race tires from Michelin. They are definitely lighter than the Krylions, so I want to see how they compare. But if I start getting flats, then I'll probably go back to the Krylions.

I bought a set of Conti GP4000s about a year ago, which are supposed to be, and maybe in fact are, a sweet tire, but I was not a huge fan. I had a decent amount of flats, some sidewall issues, and they seemed squirmy on descents. So I actually prefer the blue-collar Krylion to the GP4000, but I might be in the minority there.

Awesome tires. Great for poor quality roads. One flat in 3000 miles. Staple through the heart. Stiff bead. Wish they made just black though. Good for training, probably too heavy for racing.

Scott

If you last two posters come back, can you give me an idea what you paid for each tire? The bike I am currently riding is older than I am, and I have tires that are quite crappy and make the bike look older than it is, they are the type of tires with like tan sidewalls...it looks terrible. I am getting ready to buy a new Trek 1.5 in about a month, and I figure I will change the tires after a while. The Red striped michelin tires would look awesome with the red pin-striping business on it. As I see in the picture there is a white strip on the side, is that visible or is that tucked in the wheel?Thanks for the responses!

Bike Nashbar has them on sale for $44.00 each. You're probably better off getting them at Pro Bike Kit if Coneofsilence is right. There is no white line on the side of the wheel. What you are seeing is a picture of the tire as it looks on a rim, and the rim is what looks like a white line.

Right now I am looking for a good set of gumwall tires for a vintage bike that I am building. I can't find them at my usual LBS and they suggested looking at Wally World. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet on this one and just get a set of all black tires.

Gumwall tires? What exactly are gum wall tires? Thanks for the help everybody, 25 dollars sounds good especially compared to the 44 dollars somebody found. Thanks

Well at pro bike kit, the tyres are $31.43 AUD. I paid $75AUD each at my lbs. I needed them straight away but you do the math.The catalogue i have says postage for USA is free. AUS $18.99, UK Free, NZ $19.99.

coneofsilence said:
Well at pro bike kit, the tyres are $31.43 AUD. I paid $75AUD each at my lbs. I needed them straight away but you do the math.The catalogue i have says postage for USA is free. AUS $18.99, UK Free, NZ $19.99.
possibly, good. I just read the link you provided

http://www.probikekit.com/postage.php

in any case, a great many biker praise this tire, so I'll stick with them for a while..

ibi-m said:
possibly, good. I just read the link you provided

http://www.probikekit.com/postage.php

in any case, a great many biker praise this tire, so I'll stick with them for a while..
Yeah, PBK has been shipping free to the US for some time now; hope it continues. No worries with customs either. My last tire order arrived in less than 10 days.....3 Vittoria Evo Open Corso CX tires. Looking at the "thinness" of the rubber, I'm pretty sure they won't last as long as Krylion's (or my GP 4000's), but wanted to experience the low RR of a real race tire......I'm sure the speed increase will be unbelieveable :)

dhk2 said:
Yeah, PBK has been shipping free to the US for some time now; hope it continues. No worries with customs either. My last tire order arrived in less than 10 days.....3 Vittoria Evo Open Corso CX tires. Looking at the "thinness" of the rubber, I'm pretty sure they won't last as long as Krylion's (or my GP 4000's), but wanted to experience the low RR of a real race tire......I'm sure the speed increase will be unbelieveable :)
Plus, the look cool and you will be stylin'. :cool:

jojoma said:
I have not had a flat in over 6 months of considerable riding. (Knock on wood)
Unreal! I got a flat today on my short after work ride. But it's still a good tire. I think I paid $40 for it at Performance Bike.

RedRider2009 said:
If you last two posters come back, can you give me an idea what you paid for each tire? The bike I am currently riding is older than I am, and I have tires that are quite crappy and make the bike look older than it is, they are the type of tires with like tan sidewalls...it looks terrible. I am getting ready to buy a new Trek 1.5 in about a month, and I figure I will change the tires after a while. The Red striped michelin tires would look awesome with the red pin-striping business on it. As I see in the picture there is a white strip on the side, is that visible or is that tucked in the wheel?Thanks for the responses!
I am using them right know but do not have many miles on them yet, but so far they seem OK, I ride on some pretty crappy roads sometimes and they have held up so far, I bought mine on ebay I think for around $45 or $50 for the set, maybe $10 to ship.

RedRider2009 said:
If you last two posters come back, can you give me an idea what you paid for each tire?

I typically paid between $25 to $30 per tire on Ebay.