Michelin Pro2 Race

ToffoIsMe

Aug 19, 2005
I just got a pair of these tires and noticed they have a very unusual range for pressure. 87-116 PSI. Whatever happend to a normal 90-110 or 100-120?

ToffoIsMe said:
I just got a pair of these tires and noticed they have a very unusual range for pressure. 87-116 PSI. Whatever happend to a normal 90-110 or 100-120?
That is likely because the French, just like any other modern nation on the planet, use metric units, rather than the medieval nonsense still common in this country. Heck, even the stodgy British are on metric for decades now...

Anyway, 87-116psi corresponds to 6-8 bar. Otherwise, feel free to use pressure in any of the ranges you quoted above. If you go from 116 to 120psi, that won't blow your tire.

I've been on these tires for years, run 'em at 120psi for great performance.

Dietmar said:
That is likely because the French, just like any other modern nation on the planet, use metric units, rather than the medieval nonsense still common in this country. Heck, even the stodgy British are on metric for decades now...

Anyway, 87-116psi corresponds to 6-8 bar. Otherwise, feel free to use pressure in any of the ranges you quoted above. If you go from 116 to 120psi, that won't blow your tire.
I figured it wouldn't be a problem to run them at 120. I've run road tires rated to 90 at 120 and bmx tires rated to 65 at 110. I just found it odd that it wasn't rounded numbers.

ToffoIsMe said:
I figured it wouldn't be a problem to run them at 120. I've run road tires rated to 90 at 120 and bmx tires rated to 65 at 110. I just found it odd that it wasn't rounded numbers.
Just curious, why do run them higher than the rating?

kdelong said:
Just curious, why do run them higher than the rating?
I've always liked my tires feeling solid. Just preferance I guess. I started riding bmx bikes long before I got into riding road, and even then kept my tires at 90-110 when most bmx tires are only rated around 65 (although some newer ones are coming with higher ratings, finally! :D ). My like for rock solid tires just crossed over when I started riding road bikes.

ToffoIsMe said:
I've always liked my tires feeling solid. Just preferance I guess. I started riding bmx bikes long before I got into riding road, and even then kept my tires at 90-110 when most bmx tires are only rated around 65 (although some newer ones are coming with higher ratings, finally! :D ). My like for rock solid tires just crossed over when I started riding road bikes.
You may think of it being a rock but it still bounces. If the tire is overinflated then it may tend to loose contact with the road. This will actually slow you down. You should base the inflation on your weight relative to the tire and road conditions. Just my 2 cents.

Hey, I got some red Pro2 Race and the look sick on my bike.
I weigh about 50kg the PSI I use is about 90. I am supposed to use around 85 but these Michelin tyres deflate suprisingly fast.

Little Lance.

Ride like your life is over!

tfstrum said:
I like the Vredstein tubes. Good quality...
Why? Any evidence against Michelin and Continental etc? I note that they are all made in Asia.

sogood said:
Why? Any evidence against Michelin and Continental etc? I note that they are all made in Asia.
- no.

- all of my ProRace2 tyres are made in France.

sogood said:

No evidence, just good experience. I really only get to ride on the weekends and I usually won't have to air up for two weeks. I'll normally run ~ 115 lbs and they don't lose too much. I use Vittoria tires and Vredestein tubes and I really haven't flatted much either and these tires aren't the thickest rubber out there.

And the stems are better than the specialized tubes I tried when I really needed a spare tube. Butyl tubes hold air better than latex tubes according articles I found.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/information.asp?inf=tubetype

tfstrum said:
Butyl tubes hold air better than latex tubes according articles I found.
Latex tubes just suck at holding air. They're made to be lightweight and flexible (for better puncture resistance), and they need to be pumped up before every ride.