Michelin Pro3 tires

vascdoc

May 7, 2005
I was wondering if anyone had tried this tire yet. Spring is upon us and I have to replace my clincher tires. I have liked the pro and pro2 in the past. I liked the Vittoria Open Corsa EVO-CX but found it was not a huge improvement over the Michelin and had only half the mileage.

I've got a set coming from PBK, due any day now. Will post back here with impressions. Currently I'm running ProRace 2 so will be able to give a direct comparison.

Have you tried Veloflex? Very limited in terms of mileage, but really nice!

Curious about your Pro3 experience (when you have some) scirocco!

scirocco said:
I've got a set coming from PBK, due any day now. Will post back here with impressions. Currently I'm running ProRace 2 so will be able to give a direct comparison.
I too have recently bought some. I've been running the Pro2 and liked them quite a bit. Still a few miles left on them but once they're done I'll install the Pro3 and report back. Shouldn't be long because I've got some big milage weeks coming up. :)

Well, I've been running them for a few weeks now and they seem pretty nice, roll even smoother than ProRace2. Could I tell the difference in a blind test? Probably not.

Haven't done much wet weather riding on them so can't really comment on wet grip.

No punctures yet either so far (now I've jinxed myself).

Key question is, how does it compare with Conti's Black Chili compound on the new GP4000 and GP4000S?

sogood said:
Key question is, how does it compare with Conti's Black Chili compound on the new GP4000 and GP4000S?
I reckon it could be in the eye of the beholder - I use the Conti GP4000S reckon they're great and am sticking with them. My son however has been on the Michi Pros and thinks likewise.

I think the Pro (vs 4000S) might have a slightly better tread life esp on the back wheel but as we train and ride on different roads, road surface could be the difference.

At least we both get to compare tread life because the tyres have lasted.

We just got them here in Japan, and I used them in the first race of the season. Initial impressions: excellent grip, the rubber feels sticky compared to the Pro2s. However, I'm expecting that they will wear out much sooner - if only used as race tires, not a big deal imo. They are hard to get on a rim, esp if you use Campy wheels - I pinched one tube getting them on, which I very, very rarely do (like once every few years). They are definately narrower than the Pro2s, both measurable, and visibly (altho this could be optical illusion, as they only have the one grey tread in the center of the tire). They roll well - according to btr ( www.biketechreview.com ) rr tests. As well, they are as light or lighter than both the Pro2s AND, interestingly, the Pro2 Lights ( look at http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=roadtyres ).

All in all, I would say this is an excellent race tire. Highly recommended.

BikingBrian said:
They are hard to get on a rim, esp if you use Campy wheels.
Interesting; I didn't find them tight on my Fulcrum wheels. Good tyres though - I really like them.