Michelin Prorace clinchers

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jiyang Chen, Jun 7, 2003.

  1. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    Can the Michelin ProRace Clinchers be used as training tires? probikekit.com sells them at about
    30+ dollars.

    Jiyang

    Tags:

  2. Jiyang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Can the Michelin ProRace Clinchers be used as training tires? probikekit.com sells them at about
    > 30+ dollars.

    Absolutely. Whether it's sensible or not is another matter, obviously. They wear fast and thus cost
    more money than a "training tyre", and possibly puncture more easily. However, some time ago, some
    fellow here recommended the ultra-light Continental Grand Prix Supersonic for something called
    "aggressive training".

    -as

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in news:bbvpp2
    [email protected]:
    > Can't say I've experienced faster wear or more punctures with them than any other tire. I've been
    > getting 3500 miles per tire set with anywhere from 1 to three flats.

    How much do you weigh and what air pressure do you use? Just curious.

  4. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    Hi.

    Thanks for the replies. I weigh 110, and I pump the tires to as high as they will go. Any other
    suggestions for a good training tire besides the Michelin? I would like a tire that's light enough
    for racing, but durable and long lasting for training. My IRC Redstorms have been really durable,
    but they feel "sluggish" and heavy.

    Thanks, Jiyang

    > [email protected]:
    > > Can't say I've experienced faster wear or more punctures with them than
    any
    > > other tire. I've been getting 3500 miles per tire set with anywhere
    from
    > > 1 to three flats.
    >
    > How much do you weigh and what air pressure do you use? Just curious.

  5. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    Anybody have any experience with the Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp?

    totalcycling.com sells them for only $25, although shipping costs are a bit high.

    > [email protected]:
    > > Can't say I've experienced faster wear or more punctures with them than
    any
    > > other tire. I've been getting 3500 miles per tire set with anywhere
    from
    > > 1 to three flats.
    >
    > How much do you weigh and what air pressure do you use? Just curious.

  6. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "Jiyang Chen" wrote:
    > Thanks for the replies. I weigh 110, and I pump the tires to as high as they will go. Any other
    > suggestions for a good training tire besides the Michelin? I would like a tire that's light enough
    > for racing, but durable and long lasting for training. My IRC Redstorms have been really durable,
    > but they feel "sluggish" and heavy.

    That's perfect. When you switch to your "race day" tires, they will feel all the more faster. I
    assume you ARE training to a race, and not just training to train. ;->

    Art Harris

  7. In article <[email protected]>, Jiyang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks for the replies. I weigh 110, and I pump the tires to as high as they will go. Any other
    >suggestions for a good training tire besides the Michelin? I would like a tire that's light enough
    >for racing, but durable and long lasting for training. My IRC Redstorms have been really durable,
    >but they feel "sluggish" and heavy.

    The Michelins are a good training tire, I find it has a tougher casing than a lot of others.

    The Pro Race however is about the same weight as the IRC Redstorm so if you meant "heavy" in a
    literal sense then they are not an improvement. I think a 225g clincher training tire is pretty
    light and if you look at the tires that are lighter than that none are very durable.

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Jiyang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Anybody have any experience with the Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp?

    I used three of them and they all disintegrated very rapidly, the tread came apart.

    Other than that no complaints. :)

  9. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest

    "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi.
    >
    > Thanks for the replies. I weigh 110, and I pump the tires to as high as they will go. Any other
    > suggestions for a good training tire besides the Michelin? I would like a tire that's light enough
    > for racing, but durable and long lasting for training. My IRC Redstorms have been really durable,
    > but they feel "sluggish" and heavy.
    >
    > Thanks, Jiyang

    Are you the same Jiyang Chen who wrote the letter to Style Man in Bicycling this month?

  10. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    I have IRC Redstorms 700x25c with wire bead, so they feel considerably heavier.

    Jiyang "Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:8DNEa.35817$A%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Jiyang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >Thanks for the replies. I weigh 110, and I pump the tires to as high as they will go. Any other
    > >suggestions for a good training tire besides the Michelin? I would like a tire that's light
    > >enough for racing, but
    durable
    > >and long lasting for training. My IRC Redstorms have been really
    durable,
    > >but they feel "sluggish" and heavy.
    >
    > The Michelins are a good training tire, I find it has a tougher casing than a lot of others.
    >
    > The Pro Race however is about the same weight as the IRC Redstorm so if you meant "heavy" in a
    > literal sense then they are not an improvement. I think a 225g clincher training tire is pretty
    > light and if you look at the tires that are lighter than that none are very durable.

  11. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    news:[email protected]...

    > [email protected]:
    > > Can't say I've experienced faster wear or more punctures with them than
    any
    > > other tire. I've been getting 3500 miles per tire set with anywhere
    from
    > > 1 to three flats.
    >
    > How much do you weigh and what air pressure do you use? Just curious.

    I weigh 157 lbs, the tires are 25s, I inflate them to 95 psi rear, 85 front when I ride by myself,
    105 rear, 95 front when I do an occasional group ride.

  13. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest