Michelin tubeless tyre

Rik O'Shea

Guest
Inner tubes may become a thing of the past ... I wonder how
you fix a puncture in a tubless bicycle tire ?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2004/tech/fea-
tures/roubaix/1/michelintubeless

"The days of the inner tube are numbered: in what will be
their first outing at Roubaix, Michelin will be showcasing
their new range of tubeless clinchers - a technology the
company has been applying to cars since 1955!

Developed in partnership with ubiquitous wheel builder
Mavic, the concept is based on two components: first, a
special rim designed to hold the tyre and bead in position
to help ensure air-tightness at high pressure; and second, a
Michelin tubeless tyre.

Initially targeting the professional peloton with
availability to the public expected sometime in 2005,
Michelin will introduce three new products that will be
tested and refined over the course of this year: the
Michelin Pro Race Tubeless, the Pro Grip Tubeless and the
Pro Grip Special Paves Tubeless.

Specially-designed for cobblestones, the Michelin Pro Grip
Special Paves Tubeless has a width of 24mm and uses a new
tread design made up of diamond-shaped points on the central
band to break the film of water or mud on cobblestones. The
company also claims the lateral striped tread - previously
tested on the rain tyres used by 2003 world motorbike
champion Valentino Rossi - makes it possible to lean into
the corners in the often inclement conditions characteristic
of many of the races in northern Europe."

[email protected] (Rik O'Shea) wrote:

> Inner tubes may become a thing of the past ... I wonder
> how you fix a puncture in a tubless bicycle tire ?

Same way you fix currently available tubeless tires
for bicycles.

> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2004/tech/f-
> eatures/roubaix/1/mic helintubeless

> Specially-designed for cobblestones, the Michelin Pro Grip
> Special Paves Tubeless has a width of 24mm and uses a new
> tread design made up of diamond-shaped points on the
> central band to break the film of water or mud on
> cobblestones. The company also claims the lateral striped
> tread - previously tested on the rain tyres used by 2003
> world motorbike champion Valentino Rossi - makes it
> possible to lean into the corners in the often inclement
> conditions characteristic of many of the races in northern
> Europe."

Those claims are nonsense, and it's especially galling
coming from a reputable company like Michelin, which knows
that this is marketing-driven nonsense. Are they seriously
implying that leaning into corners in "inclement"
conditions is not possible on other tires? That would be
news to me and my tires.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

isn't this what tufo has been marketting as tubular
clinchers? and basically what it says above, tubular style
wheels for clincher rims. whats the big deal? clinchers are
good for training, don't have to deal with crazy patching or
gluing a tire on the road.

daivd

"Rik O'Shea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Inner tubes may become a thing of the past ... I wonder
> how you fix a puncture in a tubless bicycle tire ?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2004/tech/fea-
tures/roubaix/1/michelintubeless

> "The days of the inner tube are numbered: in what will be
> their first outing at Roubaix, Michelin will be showcasing
> their new range of tubeless clinchers - a technology the
> company has been applying to cars since 1955!
>
> Developed in partnership with ubiquitous wheel builder
> Mavic, the concept is based on two components: first, a
> special rim designed to hold the tyre and bead in position
> to help ensure air-tightness at high pressure; and second,
> a Michelin tubeless tyre.
>
> Initially targeting the professional peloton with
> availability to the public expected sometime in 2005,
> Michelin will introduce three new products that will be
> tested and refined over the course of this year: the
> Michelin Pro Race Tubeless, the Pro Grip Tubeless and the
> Pro Grip Special Paves Tubeless.
>
> Specially-designed for cobblestones, the Michelin Pro Grip
> Special Paves Tubeless has a width of 24mm and uses a new
> tread design made up of diamond-shaped points on the
> central band to break the film of water or mud on
> cobblestones. The company also claims the lateral striped
> tread - previously tested on the rain tyres used by 2003
> world motorbike champion Valentino Rossi - makes it
> possible to lean into the corners in the often inclement
> conditions characteristic of many of the races in northern
> Europe."

> water or mud on cobblestones. The company also claims the
> lateral striped tread - previously tested on the rain
> tyres used by 2003 world motorbike champion Valentino
> Rossi - makes it possible to lean into the corners in the
> often inclement conditions characteristic of many of the
> races in northern Europe."

Striped tread as in silica tread??? I don't believe there
have ever been any non-black tires used in MotoGP. There
are, however, colored tires that are made from recycled old
tires available for sportbikes.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

rikoshea-<< Inner tubes may become a thing of the past ... I
wonder how you fix a puncture in a tubless bicycle tire ?
>><BR><BR>

Holy disc brakes on road bikes....Batman!!!

Tubeless tire advantages are that you can run lower
pressures w/o pinch flats(great for MTB and cross). How that
is an advantage for road bikes, on pavement, escapes me. The
rubber strip inside a conventional road rim will be heavier
than a tube...NO road rims are tubeless technology. If mavic
makes them, they will be heavier and more expensive. ANOTHER
answer to a not asked question.

If ya tear a sidewall(a possibility sice they will be trying
to make the package 'light') you are SOL.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> rikoshea-<< Inner tubes may become a thing of the past ...
> I wonder how you fix a puncture in a tubless bicycle tire
> ? >><BR><BR>
>
> Holy disc brakes on road bikes....Batman!!!
>
> Tubeless tire advantages are that you can run lower
> pressures w/o pinch flats(great for MTB and cross). How
> that is an advantage for road bikes, on pavement, escapes
> me. The rubber strip inside a conventional road rim will
> be heavier than a tube...NO road rims are tubeless
> technology. If mavic makes them, they will be heavier and
> more expensive. ANOTHER answer to a not asked question.
>
> If ya tear a sidewall(a possibility sice they will be
> trying to make the package 'light') you are SOL.
>
> Peter Chisholm

Fixing problems is easy, just call the Mavic Neutral support
car. The phone number is printed inside the rim of each
Ksyrium SL-T wheel. Why'd you think Silliums cost twice the
price of a regular wheels ? Amazing how few people ever take
advantage of that service, especially since they paid about
$400 for it.

Scott Goldsmith Driver, Mavic Yellow Ford Focus. NB, Trek
Postal bikes are supported by USPS, don't call Mavic. Just
look for the team truck, they're everywhere just like OCLVs.

> Fixing problems is easy, just call the Mavic Neutral
> support car. The phone number is printed inside the rim of
> each Ksyrium SL-T wheel. Why'd you think Silliums cost
> twice the price of a regular wheels ? Amazing how few
> people ever take advantage of that service, especially
> since they paid about $400 for it.

You're kidding, right?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training