Michigan: Kalamazoo to Charlevoix / White Pines Trail help

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Mike Kruger, May 24, 2003.

  1. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    I'm route planning for a bike tour, including a stretch from Kalamazoo, Michigan to a camp near
    Charlevoix / Petoskey / Boyne City.

    88 miles of that could be covered by the White Pines Trail
    http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/ParksandTrailsInfo.asp?id=508 from north Grand Rapids
    to Cadillac.

    The surface is described as: "natural ballast and hard packed gravel, with 13 miles of asphalt
    pavement from Reed City to Big Rapids and 7 miles of asphalt pavement from just north of Rockford
    to Belmont"

    That sounds like other nearby trails (like the Kal-Haven trail), which aren't ideal for a road bike
    with 1.25 wide tires, but work OK. Anyone with any personal experience on this trail?

    Also, if anyone has a route through / around Grand Rapids that would be nice, too.

    --
    Mike Kruger "Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
    - Vernon Law

    Tags:

  2. hjohnc

    hjohnc Guest

    On Sat, 24 May 2003 22:35:25 GMT, "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm route planning for a bike tour, including a stretch from Kalamazoo, Michigan to a camp near
    >Charlevoix / Petoskey / Boyne City.

    >That sounds like other nearby trails (like the Kal-Haven trail), which aren't ideal for a road bike
    >with 1.25 wide tires, but work OK. Anyone with any personal experience on this trail?

    My 2 cents. Kalamazoo to South Haven on Kal Haven Trail (OK for road bikes). South Haven to Holland
    to Grand Haven (good paved bike trails). Grand Haven through Muskegon (not the best) to Whitehall.
    Whitehall to Hart (excellent paved rail to trail) to Ludington along the lake. The reat of the ride
    is along the lake, mostly M-22 and a great ride. Ludington to Manistee to Onekema (mother of all
    hills) to Frankfort. Around Crystal Lake to Empire to Traverse City. Traverse City around Torch Lake
    to Boyne City.

    A Great Ride!