microplane graters--kitchen vs hardware

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Rona Yuthasastr, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. For use in the kitchen, does one need to buy Microplane graters that are packaged for kitchen
    stores, or can one use the ones found in the hardware sections of stores? They look pretty much the
    same to me but perhaps the hardware store ones have some kind of non-food-safe coating on them?

    rona

  2. Sam Salmon

    Sam Salmon Guest

    I use one from the Hardware store-wasn't cheap but was less than the Kitchen Gadget place. There is
    no food-safe coating on the one I have it doesn't need one it's bare metal. No handle though-that's
    OK with me I'm not clumsy ;)

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:33:06 -0600, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >For use in the kitchen, does one need to buy Microplane graters that are packaged for kitchen
    >stores, or can one use the ones found in the hardware sections of stores? They look pretty much the
    >same to me but perhaps the hardware store ones have some kind of non-food-safe coating on them?
    >
    >rona

  3. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For use in the kitchen, does one need to buy Microplane graters that are packaged for kitchen
    > stores, or can one use the ones found in the hardware sections of stores? They look pretty
    > much the same to me but perhaps the hardware store ones have some kind of non-food-safe
    > coating on them?
    >
    > rona
    >
    > --
    > ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***

    What are the hardware ones made of? I haven't looked at the hardware microplanes, but I know that a
    lot of my husband's woodworking tools are steel and have an oil coating. They're really not meant to
    be cleaned in water.

    I have a microplane that was made for kitchen use, and it's stainless steel and dishwasher safe.

    Is there a significant price difference between the two?

  4. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    >Subject: microplane graters--kitchen vs hardware
    >From: "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" [email protected]

    -------------------------------
    The ones in the hardware department are Better.

  5. Stark Raven

    Stark Raven Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Rona Yuthasastrakosol
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > For use in the kitchen, does one need to buy Microplane graters that are packaged for kitchen
    > stores, or can one use the ones found in the hardware sections of stores? They look pretty
    > much the same to me but perhaps the hardware store ones have some kind of non-food-safe
    > coating on them?
    >
    > rona

    I can't imagine my Microplane grater being used in a wood working shop, unless you're spicing up
    your wood with a little nutmeg or some lemon zest. Compared to other wood working tools, Microplanes
    aren't very substantial.

  6. On 26 Jan 2004 08:26:50 GMT, [email protected] (Nancree) wrote:

    >>Subject: microplane graters--kitchen vs hardware From: "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
    >>[email protected]
    >
    >-------------------------------
    >The ones in the hardware department are Better.

    A couple of years ago, I saw a chef on TV (can't remember who) that said the same thing, and I think
    he mentioned the cost issue as well. Apparently the kitchen type is more expensive.
    --

    candeh

  7. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >Stark Raven opined:
    >
    >>Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:
    >
    >> For use in the kitchen, does one need to buy Microplane graters that are packaged for kitchen
    >> stores, or can one use the ones found in the hardware sections of stores? They look pretty
    >> much the same to me but perhaps the hardware store ones have some kind of non-food-safe
    >> coating on them?
    >>
    >> rona
    >
    >I can't imagine my Microplane grater being used in a wood working shop, unless you're spicing up
    >your wood with a little nutmeg or some lemon zest. Compared to other wood working tools,
    >Microplanes aren't very substantial.

    Microplanes are extremely substantial for their intended usage, which originally was for
    woodworking... culinary use is only a side line... and in fact they're not very useful in the
    kitchen, aside from shaping wood they are better suited for planing calluses by Podiatrists.

  8. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Stark Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:260120040720523294%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Rona Yuthasastrakosol
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > For use in the kitchen, does one need to buy Microplane graters that are packaged for kitchen
    > > stores, or can one use the ones found in the
    hardware
    > > sections of stores? They look pretty much the same to me but perhaps
    the
    > > hardware store ones have some kind of non-food-safe coating on them?
    > >
    > > rona
    >
    > I can't imagine my Microplane grater being used in a wood working shop, unless you're spicing up
    > your wood with a little nutmeg or some lemon zest. Compared to other wood working tools,
    > Microplanes aren't very substantial.

    You can see them on the Rockler Woodworking site. They have pictures of them in use:
    http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/search_results.cfm?user_id=20209491&filter=microplane

  9. Mraod

    Mraod Guest

    D.Currie" asks:

    >"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> For use in the kitchen, does one need to buy Microplane graters that are packaged for kitchen
    >> stores, or can one use the ones found in the hardware sections of stores? They look pretty
    >> much the same to me but perhaps the hardware store ones have some kind of non-food-safe
    >> coating on them?
    >>
    >> rona
    >>
    >> --
    >> ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***
    >>

    >What are the hardware ones made of? I haven't looked at the hardware microplanes, but I know that a
    >lot of my husband's woodworking tools are steel and have an oil coating. They're really not meant
    >to be cleaned in water.
    >
    >I have a microplane that was made for kitchen use, and it's stainless steel and dishwasher safe.
    >
    >Is there a significant price difference between the two?

    www.leevalley.com

    Same item number, same price.

  10. "MrAoD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Same item number, same price.

    ?????

    I was at Lee Valley last weekend and the Microplane rasps I saw all had handles. On their website,
    the Microplane rasp for hacksaws (no handle) was item number 27W02.10 and the kitchen rasp was
    27W02.07. Was it a different rasp you saw? Do you remember the number? I may have missed something
    at the store, or during my web search.

    FWIW, the LV kitchen rasp is not made by Microplane--or if it is it's private labeled. LV's kitchen
    rasp seems a bit thinner than Microplane rasps. Alan B managed to bend his LV one a bit in the
    middle. It was just the side that was bent, I think (I don't remember now).

    rona

  11. "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > For use in the kitchen, does one need to buy Microplane graters that are packaged for kitchen
    > > stores, or can one use the ones found in the
    hardware
    > > sections of stores? They look pretty much the same to me but perhaps
    the
    > > hardware store ones have some kind of non-food-safe coating on them?
    > >
    > > rona
    > >
    > > --
    > > ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***
    > >

    > What are the hardware ones made of? I haven't looked at the hardware microplanes, but I know that
    > a lot of my husband's woodworking tools are steel and have an oil coating. They're really not
    > meant to be cleaned in water.
    >
    > I have a microplane that was made for kitchen use, and it's stainless
    steel
    > and dishwasher safe.
    >
    > Is there a significant price difference between the two?

    It depends :). If I buy the Lee Valley brand kitchen rasp, it's $13.50 (no handle) and the
    Microplane ones in the hardware section are about $17 (with handle). That's just a bit of a
    difference. However, if I go to a kitchen specialty store the Microplane ones for the kitchen are
    about $20+. I was thinking of just getting the Lee Valley one because it's cheaper, but I sort of
    like the handled ones. They're a little more comfortable to hold. But I'm poor, and beggars can't
    be choosers!

    rona

  12. "Sam Salmon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I use one from the Hardware store-wasn't cheap but was less than the Kitchen Gadget place. There
    > is no food-safe coating on the one I have it doesn't need one it's bare metal. No handle though-
    > that's OK with me I'm not clumsy ;)

    I was more worried about a non-food-safe coating on the hardware ones. I know tools sometimes have
    coatings and such on them. But thanks for the info! If I can scrounge up the extra $3, I may go for
    the handled hardware ones!

    rona

  13. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "MrAoD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > D.Currie" asks:
    >

    > >"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> For use in the kitchen, does one need to buy Microplane graters that
    are
    > >> packaged for kitchen stores, or can one use the ones found in the
    hardware
    > >> sections of stores? They look pretty much the same to me but perhaps
    the
    > >> hardware store ones have some kind of non-food-safe coating on them?
    > >>
    > >> rona
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***
    > >>

    > >What are the hardware ones made of? I haven't looked at the hardware microplanes, but I know that
    > >a lot of my husband's woodworking tools are steel and have an oil coating. They're really not
    > >meant to be cleaned in water.
    > >
    > >I have a microplane that was made for kitchen use, and it's stainless
    steel
    > >and dishwasher safe.
    > >
    > >Is there a significant price difference between the two?
    >
    > www.leevalley.com
    >
    > Same item number, same price.

    Yup, that looks like the kitchen one. I asked my husband today, and he said that his was made of
    steel and was heavier gauge, so there are apparently some that are different.

  14. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

    > I was at Lee Valley last weekend and the Microplane rasps I saw all had handles. On their website,
    > the Microplane rasp for hacksaws (no handle) was item number 27W02.10 and the kitchen rasp was
    > 27W02.07. Was it a different rasp you saw? Do you remember the number? I may have missed something
    > at the store, or during my web search.
    >
    > FWIW, the LV kitchen rasp is not made by Microplane--or if it is it's private labeled. LV's
    > kitchen rasp seems a bit thinner than Microplane rasps. Alan B managed to bend his LV one a bit in
    > the middle. It was just the side that was bent, I think (I don't remember now).

    The Lee Valley rasp that I picked up at their store was most definitely a Micoplane. It is stamped
    or etched right into it.

    What is it about these rasps. I had heard how good they were and searched high and low for one
    before I discovered Lee Valley. Now I am seeing them all over the place. I found a great kitchen
    store the other day in a town near here. It stocked several different sizes of Microplane rasps
    (with handles), and I picked up a miniature one that is only a few inches long.

  15. "PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >"D.Currie"
    > >
    > >I asked my husband today, and he said that his was made of steel and was >heavier gauge.
    >
    > Awww... he was just bragging! <G>

    Steel would be cold!

    rona

  16. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > FWIW, the LV kitchen rasp is not made by Microplane--or if it is it's private labeled. LV's
    > kitchen rasp seems a bit thinner than Microplane rasps. Alan B managed to bend his LV one a bit in
    > the middle. It was just the side that was bent, I think (I don't remember now).

    My LV rasp isn't bent...It does have definite shortish sides but no handle. The sides make it flex
    less and easier to grate things. The sides ...picture a squarish u where the side pillars are about
    1/8 or so high and the grating surface (the bottom of the u ) is about 2 inches wide.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
    --------

  17. "hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > My LV rasp isn't bent...It does have definite shortish sides but no
    handle.
    > The sides make it flex less and easier to grate things. The sides ...picture a squarish u where
    > the side pillars are about 1/8 or so high
    and
    > the grating surface (the bottom of the u ) is about 2 inches wide.

    Yours isn't the one with the little dent-type think in the side? For some reason I thought it was
    you. It's not bent bent, but the side buckled a little under pressure and so there's a little buckle-
    mark. Hmm, must've been someone else.

    Does your LV one have Microplane stamped/etched into it? Dave Smith says his does, but I don't
    recall seeing that. Plus the LV one makes no mention of being a Microplane, either at the store or
    in the catalogue. I'm thinking of the kitchen one, in particular.

    I'll be going back at the end of February for one of their workshops--women and woodworking. I
    registered my mother for it (for her birthday) but I don't think she really wants to go. Oh well!

    One last question...where did you get your Microplane one? You said a kitchen supply store somewhere
    around St. James? I can't remember the name of the street. I thought I'd check some other sources.
    Happy Cooker is way too expensive!

    rona

  18. Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:
    > For use in the kitchen, does one need to buy Microplane graters that are packaged for kitchen
    > stores, or can one use the ones found in the hardware sections of stores? They look pretty
    > much the same to me but perhaps the hardware store ones have some kind of non-food-safe
    > coating on them?
    >
    > rona

    The rasp style ones here:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/store-name%3Dkitchen%26index%3Dkitchen%26search-
    type%3Dss%26field-manubrand%3DMicroplane/102-3306793-4258543

    don't seem to be more expensive than the Lee Valley ones -- and there are other styles that seem
    particularly useful in the kitchen -- like the plastic sided ones you can use with the little
    attachment that holds what you are grating and saves your fingertips. I got one for the holidays and
    it works well. Amazon often puts them in the Friday sale too.

    Peggy in snowy NE PA.

  19. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    >> My LV rasp isn't bent...It does have definite shortish sides but no
    > handle.
    >> The sides make it flex less and easier to grate things. The sides ...picture a squarish u where
    >> the side pillars are about 1/8 or so high
    > and
    >> the grating surface (the bottom of the u ) is about 2 inches wide.
    >>

    > Yours isn't the one with the little dent-type think in the side? For some reason I thought it was
    > you. It's not bent bent, but the side buckled a little under pressure and so there's a little buckle-
    > mark. Hmm, must've been someone else.
    >
    > Does your LV one have Microplane stamped/etched into it? Dave Smith says his does, but I don't
    > recall seeing that. Plus the LV one makes no mention of being a Microplane, either at the store or
    > in the catalogue. I'm thinking of the kitchen one, in particular.
    >
    > I'll be going back at the end of February for one of their workshops--women and woodworking. I
    > registered my mother for it (for her birthday) but I don't think she really wants to go. Oh well!
    >
    > One last question...where did you get your Microplane one? You said a kitchen supply store
    > somewhere around St. James? I can't remember the name of the street. I thought I'd check some
    > other sources. Happy Cooker is way too expensive!
    >
    > rona

    Mine isn't dented, and I never saw microplane on it anywhere. Microplane went to court over other
    manufacturers using their name...I think in 2000 or as late as 2002 they won their case.

    This is the place I got my larger micrplane from (I think). It isn't cheap either. If you use the
    web phonebook there is a map.

    http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/searchCustomer.do?type=MAP&what=kitchen+sup
    plies&listingId=16088488&step=more&srchtype=business&pLen=15&city=winnipeg

    D A Niels Kitchenware & Restaurant Supplies Ltd 204-953-2345

    485 Berry Street, Winnipeg, MB R3J 1N6

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  20. "Nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The ones in the hardware department are Better.

    Do you think they're more durable? I was imagining that it was possible that Microplane (if one is
    buying a Microplane-brand one) just puts the same models in different packages.

    rona