microplane graters--kitchen vs hardware

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The Lee Valley rasp that I picked up at their store was most definitely a Micoplane. It is stamped
> or etched right into it.

And that was one from the kitchen section, not the hardware section? I wonder if maybe they've
changed their supplier for the kitchen one recently. Perhaps they used to be made by Microplane but
now they are not.

Did you notice, btw, on their website, that they sort of take credit for the use of rasps in the
kitchen? They say it was a "Lee Valley woodworker's wife" who first discovered its usefulness in the
kitchen. I wonder if it's true...

> What is it about these rasps. I had heard how good they were and searched
high
> and low for one before I discovered Lee Valley. Now I am seeing them all
over
> the place. I found a great kitchen store the other day in a town near
here. It
> stocked several different sizes of Microplane rasps (with handles), and I
picked
> up a miniature one that is only a few inches long.

They've been popular in the kitchen for several years, I think. I think Mimi Hiller started selling
them on her website at least in 1999 or 2000. I think they're even more popular now because of the
exposure they get on many cooking shows.

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> > The Lee Valley rasp that I picked up at their store was most definitely a Micoplane. It is
> > stamped or etched right into it.
> >

> And that was one from the kitchen section, not the hardware section? I wonder if maybe they've
> changed their supplier for the kitchen one recently. Perhaps they used to be made by Microplane
> but now they are not.

It was from the kitchen section, and I got it in November, just three months ago.

> > What is it about these rasps. I had heard how good they were and searched
> high
> > and low for one before I discovered Lee Valley. Now I am seeing them all
> over
> > the place. I found a great kitchen store the other day in a town near
> here. It
> > stocked several different sizes of Microplane rasps (with handles), and I
> picked
> > up a miniature one that is only a few inches long.
> >

> They've been popular in the kitchen for several years, I think. I think Mimi Hiller started
> selling them on her website at least in 1999 or 2000. I think they're even more popular now
> because of the exposure they get on many cooking shows.

I had been hearing about them for a year and had been looking for one before a friend gave us a Lee
Valley catalogue. I didn't bother ordering one but figured the next time I was in the vicinity of
the store (about 50 miles from here) I would check it out.

Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I had been hearing about them for a year and had been looking for one before a friend gave us a
> Lee Valley catalogue. I didn't bother ordering one but figured the next time I was in the vicinity
> of the store (about 50 miles from here) I would check it out.

Canadian Tire carries them too.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
--------

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:17:21 -0600, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>> The ones in the hardware department are Better.
>
>Do you think they're more durable? I was imagining that it was possible that Microplane (if one is
>buying a Microplane-brand one) just puts the same models in different packages.
>
>rona

time for a stupid question: what do you use the microplane for? grating ginger, cheese and whatnot?
or are we in nutmeg territory?

your pal, blake

"blake murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:17:21 -0600, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> >> The ones in the hardware department are Better.
> >
> >Do you think they're more durable? I was imagining that it was possible that Microplane (if one
> >is buying a Microplane-brand one) just puts the
same
> >models in different packages.
> >
> >rona
>
> time for a stupid question: what do you use the microplane for? grating ginger, cheese and
> whatnot? or are we in nutmeg territory?

They come in fine, medium, and course. I use them for garlic, ginger, cheese, nutmeg, and
other stuff.

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Um, your oven won't light?

Hey! My oven is plenty warm, but the coldness of the steel would cause seizing, I think. Granted,
friction will help warm things up more quickly, but the initial cold shock is not fun!

rona

I purchased 2 Microplane graters (one coarse, one fine) with the handles at Amazon during a buy 1
get one free sale! IF you're not in a hurry, just wait around until you see the sale. I believe I
got 2 for $13.

I was just using an ordinary small-holed grater before, but when the deal came along, I
couldn't resist!

"blake murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> time for a stupid question: what do you use the microplane for? grating ginger, cheese and
> whatnot? or are we in nutmeg territory?
>
> your pal, blake

I'm planning to use mine primarily for zesting. I've used the fine holes on a box grater and it just
doesn't get much of the zest, plus it's a PITA to clean, so I usually end up leaving zest out of
recipes. I will use it for other things, of course (grating ginger and cheese are right up there on
my list), but zesting is the main reason I want one.

rona

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:20:23 -0600, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"blake murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>> time for a stupid question: what do you use the microplane for? grating ginger, cheese and
>> whatnot? or are we in nutmeg territory?
>>
>> your pal, blake
>
>I'm planning to use mine primarily for zesting. I've used the fine holes on a box grater and it
>just doesn't get much of the zest, plus it's a PITA to clean, so I usually end up leaving zest out
>of recipes. I will use it for other things, of course (grating ginger and cheese are right up there
>on my list), but zesting is the main reason I want one.
>
>rona

i find i can zest with a potato peeler, if i work carefully.

your pal, blake

"hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>

http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/searchCustomer.do?type=MAP&what=kitchen+sup
> plies&listingId=16088488&step=more&srchtype=business&pLen=15&city=winnipeg
>
> D A Niels Kitchenware & Restaurant Supplies Ltd 204-953-2345
>
> 485 Berry Street, Winnipeg, MB R3J 1N6

Thanks! I'll hopefully get there the next time I do a Costco/Lee Valley run. I love browsing in
kitchen supply shops (though most things are usually too expensive to buy!).

rona

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I had been hearing about them for a year and had been looking for one
before a
> friend gave us a Lee Valley catalogue. I didn't bother ordering one but
figured
> the next time I was in the vicinity of the store (about 50 miles from
here) I
> would check it out.

As an aside, two small but not well-known things about Lee Valley...
1. They offer excellent workshops at relatively low costs, and the proceeds go to United Way (they
even provide lunch during their all-day workshops).
2. They have a program where you can sign a friend up for a catalogue. Should that friend buy
something from the catalogue, Lee Valley will donate $5 to the United Way. (I'm not condoning
sending junk mail to friends, but I know at least one person who would love Lee Valley and I was
planning to send her one of my catalogues, so why not contribute to charity--indirectly--in the
process?).

rona