Microshift Arsis Review

3perez

Aug 9, 2013
A few months ago I had decided to try out this brand known as Microshift. I used the Arsis group set which is currently their top of the line road group set. I was a bit skeptical at first. I had really found no reviews on the set. Once I received them I was first impressed with the design of the shifters. The carbon inlay on the brake handles was quite beautiful but how would they perform? I went down to my LBS and had them install the set ( Which consist of Shifters and front and rear derailleurs). The shifter lay out was different with a large paddle shifter like shimano has but also a tiny thumb shifter just above it. I soon took it on its first ride and I feel in love with it. The shifter lay out was easy to use and the little thumb shifter was very easy to reach from the drops. It is lighter than Shimano 105 and in my opinion performs better than shimano ultegra! I have tried everything from sram red to Shimano Ultegra and I by far love Microshift more. Its no quite up to par with Sram red or Shimano Dura Ace yet but the shifter lay out is very easy to use and the shifts are always crisp and accurate. Microshift my be a small brand but not for long. With their passion for quality and the affordability of their components(they can be found for around $400 US Dollars for a set online) they may soon become a component powerhouse with in the next few years.
http://www.perezracing.weebly.com
http://www.microshift.com.tw/

Microshift, 400 dollars for a bike shift lever?

sounds like you got more cash than brains.

a bike part isnt going to make you a better rider you have to actuallyremove the training wheels and do it

Its 400 dollars for the whole groupset (shifters and rear and front derailliur) and I never said it would make you a better rider and I agree completley with you that its all in training

My shill detection radar is on high alert...... spidey sense tingling....

Regardless, the ungainly shifter design - even worst than 7800/6600 - is a turnoff. I've admittedly never used Arsis (really, they need to change the name, it sounds too much like "****", which is not a good name for a bike part) but I have seen the semi groupset up close. The finish and build quality is subpar compared to the Big Three. I'll pay the extra $150 for Ultegra.

I've never seen anyone using them over here. if they're any good, more options is a win-win for consumers.

I aint never seen nobody using them neither. I see lots of shimano SIS on ccms though. proven and reliable technology for sure.

Microshift's stuff has been out for a few years now. It's also out there relabeled as Sampson, Forte, and a number of other names. I know at least one Pro Continental team was using it. Yes, it's not Campy, Shimano, or SRAM, but the reviews of it have been quite positive.

Originally Posted by Tech72 .

[SIZE= 13px]I've admittedly never used Arsis (really, they need to change the name, it sounds too much like "****", which is not a good name for a bike part)[/SIZE]
Its greek, it means "to lift"
big-smile.png

Dont ask what "Uranus" means...
big-smile.png

A few locals use Microshift and Token. Some of the Token stuff is impressive.

Some of the Nashbar house brand parts are manufactured by Microshift.

Does the Arsis shifter still use an exposed shift cable like the older shimaNO shifters?

Poultry in Motion duathlon

[SIZE= 15px]Funniest race name ever![/SIZE]

[SIZE= 15px]Nope. Topped by...[/SIZE]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)] Hotter than Du Doo duathlon[/COLOR]

Hmmm, if you haven't tried, I wouldn't knock it.

I also have Arsis. I personally think the fit and finish is quite nice. While it take some time to get used to the 'click-click' to change gears, I have grown to like and possibly even prefer it. If I had to come up with some negatives, it would be that unlike SRAM Zero-loss, you do have to push the big lever about 3/4 of an inch before it begins to move the derailer. Not a huge deal. Also, I cannot (and the instructions do tell you this) use the last two gears in a BIG-BIG or SMALL-SMALL gear selection without rub. I am using an FSA Energy crank and I think if I used a stiffer crank I could only lose 1 gear instead of two. The second gear rub is only when I'm up on the crank.

I have bikes with SRAM Force 22, Shimano 105 5600, Shimano 105 5700, and MS Arsis. Comparing the shift reliablity and quickness its every bit on par with Force 22. Its MUCH better than both 105 sets I have. Front shifting is black and white. Arsis, is a quick flip and its in gear. Both 105s are a slow deliberate and noisy 'turn and hold' to get it to go into the big ring up front.

I will buy Arsis again, no question about it. I wish it was more readily available state-side but other than the several week delivery time, I have no problem buying from Taiwan directly. Also, my full shifter group was only $315 on eBay.