Microsoft, Oracle, Unisys should sponsor a team each!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by What If Club, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. What If Club

    What If Club Guest

    I thing Bill gates should sponsor a cycling team!!

    he has too much money! and oracle, instead of that 10 mil dollar yaht they been racing..

    Tags:

  2. "what if club" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I thing Bill gates should sponsor a cycling team!!
    >
    > he has too much money! and oracle, instead of that 10 mil dollar yaht they been racing..

    One problem: with Gates or Ellisons sort of disposable income you could build a team that would
    monopolize cycling (sound familiar?) very easily. It'd cost only a tiny percentage of what Gates
    pays in taxes every year to fund a team that would dominate all the classics and grand tours.

    - BA

  3. On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:23:48 GMT, The Black Adder wrote:
    > It'd cost only a tiny percentage of what Gates pays in taxes every year to fund a team that would
    > dominate all the classics and grand tours.

    Div 1 teams can only have 25 riders under contract.

  4. Spider1977

    Spider1977 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    $250 million for malaria research is a pretty good start by Billy boy.

  5. Real LITE guy

    Real LITE guy New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2003
    Can one sponsor have multiple teams, say in conjunction with multiple other sponsors?

  6. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    "The Black Adder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "what if club" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I thing Bill gates should sponsor a cycling team!!
    > >
    > > he has too much money! and oracle, instead of that 10 mil dollar yaht they been racing..
    >
    > One problem: with Gates or Ellisons sort of disposable income you could build a team that would
    > monopolize cycling (sound familiar?) very easily. It'd cost only a tiny percentage of what Gates
    > pays in taxes every year to fund a team that would dominate all the classics and grand tours.

    $17 million dollars would do it right, for an annual budget from a primary sponsor to be
    totally dominant?

    Spend $12M on a team of 21 guys and the rest on travel and support staff (another 20 people).

    -kjp

  7. On 24 Sep 2003 23:48:32 +0950, Real LITE guy wrote:
    > Can one sponsor have multiple teams, say in conjunction with multiple other sponsors?

    Sure, see Colnago or Giant. They're not title sponsors tho. I would be surprised if a) there's a
    rule against it, but also b) anyone would want to be title sponsor of more than 1 team at a time.

  8. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > On 24 Sep 2003 23:48:32 +0950, Real LITE guy wrote:
    > > Can one sponsor have multiple teams, say in conjunction with multiple other sponsors?
    >
    > Sure, see Colnago or Giant. They're not title sponsors tho. I would be surprised if a) there's a
    > rule against it, but also b) anyone would want to be title sponsor of more than 1 team at a time.

    The only concern would be if a company was blatantly using two teams to get around the rules about
    maximum athletes and also if they were fielding both teams at races and they were working together.
    I don't know what regulatory safe guards are in place if any, but I would guess that it would not be
    tolerated if the abuses I mentioned were observed.

  9. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On 24 Sep 2003 23:48:32 +0950, Real LITE guy wrote:
    > > > Can one sponsor have multiple teams, say in conjunction with multiple other sponsors?
    > >
    > > Sure, see Colnago or Giant. They're not title sponsors tho. I would be surprised if a)
    > > there's a rule against it, but also b) anyone would want to be title sponsor of more than 1
    > > team at a time.
    >
    > The only concern would be if a company was blatantly using two teams to get around the rules about
    > maximum athletes

    Mercury used to do that.

  10. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Real LITE guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > > On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:23:48 GMT, The Black Adder wrote:
    > > > It'd cost only a tiny percentage of what Gates pays in taxes every year to fund a team that
    > > > would dominate all the classics and grand tours.
    > > Div 1 teams can only have 25 riders under contract.
    >

    > Can one sponsor have multiple teams, say in conjunction with multiple other sponsors?

    Rabobank, Quick.Step-Davitamon, Credit Agricole all have division I and division III teams. Bodysol
    (offshoot of Davitamon) will have a Division II team next year, essentially run by the same 'family'
    as Quick.Step-Davitamon. Given that they are both Belgian teams, I would say that there is a high
    probability that they will be riding the same races together. But in a country where it's standard
    practice to bet on riders during races, this shouldn't be a problem.

    Jeff

  11. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Sure, see Colnago or Giant. They're not title sponsors tho. I would be surprised if a) there's
    > > > a rule against it, but also b) anyone would want to be title sponsor of more than 1 team at a
    > > > time.
    > >
    > > The only concern would be if a company was blatantly using two teams to get around the rules
    > > about maximum athletes
    >

    > Mercury used to do that.

    IIRC, Coors Light (pro) and Crest (amateur), both run by Len Pettyjon, were accused of
    collaborating in races.

  12. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    Spider1977 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > What If Club wrote:
    > > I thing Bill gates should sponsor a cycling team!! he has too much money! and oracle, instead
    > > of that 10 mil dollar yaht they been racing..
    >
    > $250 million for malaria research is a pretty good start by Billy boy.

    And anopther recent $50 million for inner city NYC schools. No matter what though, people will
    rag on Bill.

    $17 million/year would finance a TOP and dominating pro cycling team. I'd love to see
    Microsoft do that.

    Maybe when US Postal pulls out after 2005 or so?

    -Ken

  13. Steve

    Steve Guest

    http://geekjerseys.com/vendors/ms/msJerseyShort.htm

    On 9/24/03 6:58 AM, in article [email protected], "Real LITE guy"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    >> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:23:48 GMT, The Black Adder wrote:
    >>> It'd cost only a tiny percentage of what Gates pays in taxes every year to fund a team that
    >>> would dominate all the classics and grand tours.
    >> Div 1 teams can only have 25 riders under contract.
    >

    > Can one sponsor have multiple teams, say in conjunction with multiple other sponsors?

  14. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > The only concern would be if a company was blatantly using two teams
    to get
    > > > around the rules about maximum athletes
    > >

    > > Mercury used to do that.
    > >

    > IIRC, Coors Light (pro) and Crest (amateur), both run by Len Pettyjon,
    were accused of
    > collaborating in races.

    Yeah, that I remember. I wonder if any rules were put in place in response to that?