Microsport Powermeter insole

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by Sugar292, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Sugar292

Sugar292 New Member

Just came across this and wonder if anybody (ie Andy Coggan) has had any experience/opinons/thoughts on the powermeter insole. Reading their literature sounds impressive:

http://www.microsporttech.com/

Mike Barro

Tags:

2. Lucy_Aspenwind

Lucy_Aspenwind New Member

3. Sugar292

Sugar292 New Member

Thanks. The search function on this site sucks. But there is most likely a thread regarding that as well...

4. normZurawski

normZurawski New Member

Unfortunately that thread immediately went on a tangent about the iBike. So it has virtually nothing to do with the MicroTech product.

5. Lucy_Aspenwind

It did go off about the iBike but there is some definite relevancy. Basically in that just as iBike hasn't provided hard data as to how it compares with PM's like SRM, PT - neither have the Microsport folks.

So the question is - do you (we, whatever) want to buy a product from a company that has not put out any data or studies on the accuracy of what it is selling?

I personally do not and opted for a PT instead - obviously you have to choose what works for you.

6. normZurawski

normZurawski New Member

I'm cheap, so no. But being cheap is why I'm holding out hope. Dave Harris has already ordered one, which will theoretically be available in March. If he gives it the thumbs up, that's all I need.

Like the comments in the thread about Coggan/etc testing the iBike and that holding more weight than any study, the opinion of Dave Harris is all I need to make the investment.

7. acoggan

acoggan Member

I have no direct experience with the iBike - any questions that I might have raised* should be considered strictly theoretical concerns unless/until actual data become available.

*The only one that I can think of being how the software accounts for energy dissipated via braking when calculating the distribution of effort against various resistances (e.g., aero drag, gravity, etc.).

8. normZurawski

normZurawski New Member

I suppose you were incorrectly included in the thread linkes as among the group of people who compared iBike files with PowerTap files. My issue is that I could use it on any bike, where I fear the iBike would struggle with off-road rides and is useless on a trainer.

9. acoggan

acoggan Member

Not me (although I have seen one such comparison, and have a friend who rode for a while with both an SRM and an iBike).

10. pedalsquares

pedalsquares New Member

Looks like a great solution if it has any accuracy. The PowerTap can't take into account power-train friction (not that there's a whole lot), and isn't very portable between bikes. The SRM should take that into account, but is very expensive and not portable at all. This would be a measurement right at your power transfer point i.e. your feet. I'll definitely be watching this product with interest.

11. acoggan

acoggan Member

I can move my SRM from one bike to another in <5 min. Granted, that's more time than it takes to change wheels, but it's also a far cry from being "not portable at all".

12. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

For what it's worth of course Norm, I made warm recommendations on a french forum for the iBike. An engineer (on this french forum) who specializes into building prototypes has had few email exchanges with Microsports. It seems to have been enough to convince him about the Revolution too.

In my humble opinion, it's better to buy these powermeters than not buying anything at all. I base this jugement on the fact that very few owner of the product are actually complaining against it. On this forum as well as on the list or any other forums.

But beware. Once you get the power meter fever, you'll probably want more precision and features. And you'll probably order a better one. :)

13. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

The new PT SL2.4 could not be more portable between bikes that can share wheels (e.g., road or TT). In fact, the complete install should be less than 5 mins from scratch. There are other issues (e.g., using multiple wheel sets), but portability won't be an issue.

14. normZurawski

normZurawski New Member

I think if the Revolution were available now, I might go ahead and pull the trigger and get used to it over the winter. Being as it's not going to be available until late winter at best, I'll hold out for now. I agree that it's probably better to have something than nothing, though the Polar was ruled out because it got poor marks on the trainer as well as off-road. I'd be interested in the iBike if it worked on the trainer and mtb, but it seems the iBike does best on "standard" road rides.

15. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I don't think you need a PM at all to ride with power on a trainer (well, some trainers at least).

16. Lucy_Aspenwind

Definitely. The KK has a neat little computer for about $49 that converts the numbers from the power curve into wattage. I think even one of the trainers sold by performancebike has a similar feature though I know nothing of the power curve of the trainer.

If I did not have a PT, I would use the KK + KK power computer before buying an iBike or the insole PM.

17. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

Does iBike transfers directly into CyclingPeaks?

18. Terry Ferguson

Terry Ferguson New Member

CP is set up for it, but I'm pretty sure it currently has to go in through a .csv file. Direct transfer has been promised shortly. - TF

19. Lucy_Aspenwind

Hi...

I found this directly from the CP website:

Power Meter Software File Compatibility:

· .srm files from SRM Win™

· .txt files from SRM Win™

· .csv files from Power-Tap Link™

· .txt files from Computrainer CS™

· .txt files from Velotron Coaching Software™

· .hrm files from Polar Precision Performance®

· .pdd files from Polar Precision Performance® (corresponding .hrm must also be there)

· .txt files from Velodyne Trainer

So it would seem they don't but I guess there is either a conversion or future support planned?

S

20. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Does it also work for jogging? ;)

IMO, $500 for seems like a marginal difference from the $800-900 that one would pay for a PT Pro, but I realize price points are highly relative.