Mid priced knicks??

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Tim46, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Tim46

Tim46 New Member

I am pretty new in the cycling circle and have previously been wearing a cheapish set of knicks (thinking...sportful or something) that i got with the bike when i bought it...
    After searching the forum everyone recomends top of the line stuff only, I am looking at mid priced stuff (~$100 aus) and preferably shorts although had no experience with bibs.
    Hopefully help with the comfort of 60km return commutes and over summer hopefully do a few longer rides.... Thanks in advance

Tags:

2. steve46au

steve46au New Member

Try Torpedo7, $53.00 AUD, very good knicks (www.torpedo7.com.au)

3. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Try Ground Effect excellent quality at a very reasonable price - their Sputniks for example are $A79. Or you can go for the Supersonics at $A99 if you are happy to spend a little more. They are mail order only but very reasonable with returns, etc.

I have 3 pairs of their knicks and absolutely love them

4. coneofsilence

coneofsilence Member

I've only used specialized knicks and bibs but seem very nice. $140 for the knicks.

5. JeremyP

JeremyP New Member

The DeMarchi Race shorts/bibs are approx $130-140.

If you ride everyday, and assuming you need 3 of them to allow for washing/drying then the 6 panel Nalini Bibs from PBK sell for around $25. No where near as good as the DeMarchi but extremely good for the price considering they're made in Italy.

If money is no object then the Assos F1 at over $300 :D.

6. cruisin

cruisin New Member

Netti pronix work fine for around $70 from memory and you support an Australian company. However, like most their stuff is mostly made offshore to keep costs down.
    I have been interested in Torpedo 7 myself but don't want to wear the huge logo when touring (I like basic black).

7. anthonyg

anthonyg New Member

The upper end Netti knicks are of good quality and quite comfortable. Netti make a range from cheap to mid priced and the gear they call "Proline" is as good as any stuff I have. You can get some Netti bibknicks for $109 so they may be worth a try.

I realy like Nalini bibnicks and they can be bought online on eBay for around the $100 mark.

Regards, Anthony

8. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

9. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

I agree the Nalini Bibs from www.probikekit.com are great value.

10. tfstrum

tfstrum New Member

Descente shorts are a decent deal...

11. Halcyon1

Halcyon1 New Member

I agree with Matagi re the Ground Effect knicks. I have the Supersonics and think they are great. No leg grippers to annoy you...they just fit well.
    Halcyon1

12. mattyb

mattyb New Member

For $99, personally I couldn't go past 2XU shorts. Really nice soft material, great chamois and you can wear them all day without discomfort.
    I think it's the race shorts that are $99.

13. scirocco

scirocco New Member

Watch out for PBK's Nalini Basic knicks (not bibs) for around $25, because the one I got were rubbish. They were not the same as the ones sold in Australia and did not even have a proper chamois in them, just what looks like some foam rubber sewn in. The real Nalini "Basics" that you can buy here are very good value for money (if you can find any in stock in popular sizes).

Personally I rate the Giordana Tenax as the best shorts around. Ground Effect Sputniks also pretty good although the chamois is very thick.

14. redbikegirl

redbikegirl New Member

Ditto - ground effect are great. They & a netti pair are my favourites.

15. jerrek

jerrek New Member

If you don't mind using your credit card try www.probikekit.co.uk and get yourself a pair of team knicks for less than a pair of cheap knicks in an aussie store. Last pairs i gott were 80$ plus delivery (max 20$) for the pair of bib knicks and jersey.

I recomend bib knicks. If they fit well they are more comfortable.

16. nerdag

nerdag New Member

as you're
    I find that less expensive knicks (approx $50) do fine over distances of 60km.

You can find some inexpensive knicks locally from Cell Bikes - www.cellbikes.com.au if you are a bit reluctant to buy from overseas.

Not the greatest quality going around, but certainly adequate for commuting. I wear cheapo $20 Prorace knicks from ProBikeKit for this purpose, and have had zero problems. I also don't mind wearing out the lycra with frequent use, and they are cheap enough that you can afford to buy five pairs (one for each day of the week).

If you are really deadset keen on $100 knicks, then Scody's 3D Avenger knicks certainly fit that bill, and will last you a long time.

n