Mid-range wheels

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by MTJoe, Mar 5, 2004.

1. MTJoe

MTJoe New Member

Hey all,
    I am looking for new wheels and have a ceiling of $500. I plan to race on these wheels (mainly crits, a few road races) and do fact club rides. I'm considering Bontrager Race Lites, Campy Zonda's, & Velomax Circuits. I have also thought about getting Am. Classic hubs laced to Velocity Aerohead rims. I'm looking for opinions about thses wheels and any others that are in this price range. Thanks!

Tags:

2. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Those are all fine choices, from what I know.

As far as factory-built brand-name wheels go, Velomax, in particular, seems to be a company with a huge amount of consumer and critical praise to its name. In addition to what you've got in mind, I'd consider the Ksyrium Elite, Ritchey Pro Z, and Shimano R540, depending on what's available and what sorts of deals you can find.

You're right in suggesting, though, that with $500, you can build a no-nonsense and fairly lightweight wheel with top-quality hubs and solid rims. The Velocity rims are classic; you could also look into Ritchey rims, or save even a bit more and try OpenPros. The AC hubs are featherlight; can't go wrong with King hubs either. A bit heavier, but dreamy smooth and solid, no?

3. MTJoe

MTJoe New Member

Thanks for the help. I'll look do some more research and look into these.

4. shokhead1

shokhead1 New Member

No problems with my elites,2000 and perfect. I've seen them now for 429.

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

They aren't worth that. Cirrrus wheels from excel are better and $125 less.

6. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Why don't you look at what you can have built by colorado cyclist or excel using open pros and DA ,Campy or CK hubs.