Mid Size SUV

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by frusso10, Dec 12, 2006.

1. frusso10

frusso10 New Member

My wife and I are looking for a mid size SUV that we can transport our road bikes in. We currently have a Chrysler town & country that we would like to replace with a smaller mid size. We do not like roof or hitch mount racks. We remove the front wheel and with a board I have, I installed two quick release mounts placed the board in the back of my van and now we can have our bikes safe and secure and out of the wether. We also do not have to worry when staying over night in motel. Any suggestions?

Thank you
    Frank
    ]

Tags:

2. Phill P

Phill P New Member

Stop being so American, there are other cars that will do your job that isn't a gas guzzling SUV.
    And you should worry, plenty of cars are broken into at motels, good chance there is luggage or other goods left in the car.

3. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I thought this was spam. It is strange to come to a cycling forum and ask what car should I buy. I ride my bike everywhere possible (essential, considering I am U17) and despise drivers with 4WD (SUV) that have never taken them off road, what a waste. Get a smaller car and put the bikes on the back (or in it). But, offering a suggestion, why not the Subaru Forester?

4. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

i like my jeep cherokee. it swallows bikes and gear easily with plenty of room left for me and the wife/friends.

5. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

Stop being such an Australian, there are fuel efficient trucks, vans, and SUV’s available. Most notably, American made models such as Ford, Jeep, and Dodge.

6. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

I don't know. The OP is probably looking for something with a decent build quality. American auto companies' market share is dropping faster than Paris Hilton's panties for a reason.

7. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

I know this topic has nothing to do with drug use in cycling, so you're effectively lost, but I was speaking of fuel efficient vehicles.

8. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

============================================================
    Most American SUVs(and it seems other US vehicles too) are gas guzzling, planet ruining beasts:mad:

You've even got full sized trucks(the CVT, which is built for towing semi trailers) which is marketed as a pick up - that is nuts:eek:

9. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

===========================================================
    You're right - it's sad but true.

10. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

============================================================
    We've got a '96 Mitsubishi Libero(you may call them Lancers) stationwagon. Very economical 1500 cc, 5 speed. It fits myself, my wife, our two boys, their gear, a double pram and my bike on the tow bar when we go away for weekends etc. I lock my bike on the bike rack which is locked on the towbar.
    If we're staying in a motel or at someone's place - my bike comes inside too(where it belongs!):)

You don't need an SUV - there are small, economical, safer(read SUV crash reports) and better handling(re SUV crash reports) cars out there for you:)

11. CAMPYBOB

Most American SUVs(and it seems other US vehicles too) are gas guzzling, planet ruining beasts

So...you don't approve of my Corvette or Chevy pickup truck either? Oh well, life's a beach.

12. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

Of course not. You are obviously succeeding in being a vacuous, environmentally braindead American:mad:

P.S. Thankfully there are many US citizens who are more caring of the environment(and so people) than this turkey:)

13. CAMPYBOB

Do my big Harley-Davidsons also make you angry?

14. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Yeah, and we all know what priority American auto companies assign to fuel efficiency. If you can get over your jingoism, you might want to check out Japanese vehicles; most that you buy in the U.S. are built in the U.S. Even your favorite doper promotes Subaru. Scoobys don't have the same quality as Toyotas or Hondas, but nothing is better in the snow. Where I live they are practically the official state vehicle. The downside is that all wheel drive all the time is detrimental to gas mileage.

If you don't need towing capacity then the Scooby AWD wagons (and the clones that are now being made by other Japanese companies) make a hell of a lot more sense than a big honkin' SUV, especially if you intend to really use your vehicle as an outdoorsman. You cannot take them digging in Moab, but for getting to trailheads and back in shitty weather they are hard to beat. Plus when you park at a trailhead, half the other cars are Scoobys, so yours does not stick out like an invitation for thieves. I always get a laugh when I see that someone has parked their H2 in the mountains; it's like the thing has a sign on it that says, "Hey, granolas, I'm an asshat. Please key or rock my car."

15. CAMPYBOB

"Hey, granolas, I'm an asshat. Please key or rock my car."

Now THAT'S funny!

16. Phill P

Phill P New Member

Very easy for me to stop being an Australian, because I'm not one! I'm from New Zealand!!

Define fuel efficient. I work for Ford motor, so am aware of the issues with lack of fuel efficiency in the trucks over in the USA. The states is the most diesel resistant country in world, preferring to chew up cheap petrol instead. The market is turning away from such large pointless vehicles as peoples' egos are being dented by thier wallet. This is hurting Ford and GM pretty heavily (in Australia as well).

I aggree with the the Forester idea. The AWD does cut the fuel economy a little, but the use in snow conditions might make it worth while. I believe the RAV4 has on demand AWD. But if you want a true economical small SUV, then why not try a hybrid escape??

17. Gee3

Gee3 New Member

In regards to the OP's thread... I have a BMW X3 and can fit two bikes int eh rear area with the rear seats put down. I also used a board to hold the bikes in place and the BMW comes with adjustable tie downs in the rear area I use to hold the board in place. I do have to loosen the seat posts to drop them a bit but other than that I can fit the bikes and all my gear with room for two up front. It works out great and I have a better sense of safety knowing the bikes are locked and alarmed in my truck/SUV, etc...

And when the bikes are in the house it's a great family vehicle for my 5yo for trips to teh park, store or snow boarding trips to Lake Tahoe!

Good luck!

18. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

Would you like it if they did annoy me?:confused:
    Two weekends ago I sold my 1986 Kawasaki GPX 750(you know the watercooled version) that I've owned for 9 1/2 years(and done 10s of thousands of kms on - commuting and sport/touring on) to a guy who's got wise - he'd sold his Harley(he's also had a Buel) and put the $20k into his property. He's very impressed with "my" bike - comfortable, handles great, economical, powerful and looks cool.:)

Thankfully Harleys(and I don't dislike them all - the older ones are a part of motorcycling history) are on the way out...it's a demographic thing. The Baby Boomers who wanted to be Easyrider wanted one, had one, getting too old/fat now and selling them:eek:
    Younger riders like myself will never want them - we'd rather have Japanese or a Ducati/Moto Guzzi.

So my advice - sell them while you can still get a good price for them and get a Colnago C50 instead:)

19. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

THAT is a waste of money.

the H2 is such a stupid car, I've only ever seen one being driven (Goldcoast), and instantly thought, 'wow, what an ass, I wonder what he's compensating for'

20. mrklein

mrklein New Member

AAmen! I just got a Honda Ridgeline and it is very well built. It is not going to be confused with a Jeep off road but it has a lot off room and is great on the road. Honda quality too. I got tired of GM problems.