middle eastern rice pudding

John D. Misrahi

Guest
I am looking for a recipe for a sort of middle eastern rice
pudding..They serve it at a local lebanese restaurant. It is
flavoured with pistachios and/or rosewater..It is creamy but
pretty thin, if that makes any sense.

I don't even know what the proper name for it is..

any help would be appreciated

john

"John D. Misrahi" wrote:

> I am looking for a recipe for a sort of middle eastern
> rice pudding..They serve it at a local lebanese
> restaurant. It is flavoured with pistachios and/or
> rosewater..It is creamy but pretty thin, if that makes
> any sense

Would that be Kheer? I think that is the spelling? It's a
lovely Indian rice pudding. Goomba

[email protected] responds to....
>"John D. Misrahi" wrote: I am looking for a recipe for a
>sort of middle eastern rice pudding..They serve it at a
>local lebanese restaurant. It is flavoured with pistachios
>and/or rosewater..It is creamy but pretty thin, if that
>makes any sense
with inquiry of
>Would that be Kheer? I think that is the spelling? It's a
>lovely Indian rice pudding. Using just the "askjeeves"
search engine there seem to be several pages you could look
through here:
http://web.ask.com/web?o=0&qsrc=0&q=kheer+recipe

Picky ~JA~

at Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:40:12 GMT in <jzk8c.1255$%%1.8038@newscontent-
01.sprint.ca>, [email protected] (John D. Misrahi) wrote :

>I am looking for a recipe for a sort of middle eastern rice
>pudding..They serve it at a local lebanese restaurant. It
>is flavoured with pistachios and/or rosewater..It is creamy
>but pretty thin, if that makes any sense.

The Indian version is Kheer. The Persian variety is called
Shir Berenj. There are multiple variants - each country in
the Middle East seems to have a slightly different take on
it. AFAIK the concept was invented in Persia and diffused
out from there. Kheer is typically made only with milk,
while Shir Berenj is more high-test, containing cream as
well. Here's recipes for both.

Kheer

6 cups milk
2/8 cup short-grain rice - pudding rice or Arborio,
Carnaroli, etc.
3/8 cup water 2 tbsp rosewater 2 tbsp sugar 8 cardamom pods
1 oz. pistachios, approx. 1 oz. almonds, approx.

Put the rice and water in a pot and allow to soak
overnight. Bring the rice to a quick boil, stirring
constantly, boiling until all the water has been absorbed.
Pour all the milk in, and immediately reduce the heat as
low as it will go. Cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until very
thick, stirring occasionally. Split the cardamom pods,
grind the seeds, and add to the mix. Briefly cook (about 5
minutes), then add the rosewater, stir, heat for about 1
minute, and remove from the heat. Stir in the sugar. Pour
into ramekins or small bowls. Chill until cool. Just before
serving, chop up the pistachios and almonds finely (use a
knife, NOT a food processor, for this operation) and
sprinkle on top. Serve. Serves 4.

Shir Berenj follows the same recipe, but instead of all
milk, you use 4 cups of milk and 2 cups of cream. You add
only the milk at the beginning, and pour in the cream at the
same time you add the sugar, i.e. as you pull it off the
stove. In Shir Berenj, also, you top only with pistachios -
so double the amount of those and eliminate the almonds.

You can also make both hot instead of cold - delicious in
winter. Simply reduce the amount of milk by 2 cups, heat the
cream, if any, before stirring in, and eat as soon as you
get it off the stove.

If you don't like how thick the mixture turns out, you can
easily change it by increasing or reducing the amount of
milk. There's a range of textures you can produce, from
firm and holding its own shape (4 cups), to very loose and
runny (8 cups).

--
Alex Rast [email protected] (remove d., .7,
not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

Alex, I have eaten this but had no clue about making it.
Thanks for posting this, it's really delicious.

Wayne

[email protected] (Alex Rast) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> at Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:40:12 GMT in <jzk8c.1255$%%1.8038@newscontent-
> 01.sprint.ca>, [email protected] (John D. Misrahi)
> wrote :
>
>>I am looking for a recipe for a sort of middle eastern
>>rice pudding..They serve it at a local lebanese
>>restaurant. It is flavoured with pistachios and/or
>>rosewater..It is creamy but pretty thin, if that makes
>>any sense.
>>
> The Indian version is Kheer. The Persian variety is called
> Shir Berenj. There are multiple variants - each country in
> the Middle East seems to have a slightly different take on
> it. AFAIK the concept was invented in Persia and diffused
> out from there. Kheer is typically made only with milk,
> while Shir Berenj is more high-test, containing cream as
> well. Here's recipes for both.
>
> Kheer
>
> 6 cups milk
> 5/8 cup short-grain rice - pudding rice or Arborio,
> Carnaroli, etc.
> 5/8 cup water 2 tbsp rosewater 2 tbsp sugar 8 cardamom
> pods 1 oz. pistachios, approx. 1 oz. almonds, approx.
>
> Put the rice and water in a pot and allow to soak
> overnight. Bring the rice to a quick boil, stirring
> constantly, boiling until all the water has been absorbed.
> Pour all the milk in, and immediately reduce the heat as
> low as it will go. Cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until very
> thick, stirring occasionally. Split the cardamom pods,
> grind the seeds, and add to the mix. Briefly cook (about 5
> minutes), then add the rosewater, stir, heat for about 1
> minute, and remove from the heat. Stir in the sugar. Pour
> into ramekins or small bowls. Chill until cool. Just
> before serving, chop up the pistachios and almonds finely
> (use a knife, NOT a food processor, for this operation)
> and sprinkle on top. Serve. Serves 4.
>
> Shir Berenj follows the same recipe, but instead of all
> milk, you use 4 cups of milk and 2 cups of cream. You add
> only the milk at the beginning, and pour in the cream at
> the same time you add the sugar,
> i.e. as you pull it off the stove. In Shir Berenj, also,
> you top only with pistachios - so double the amount
> of those and eliminate the almonds.
>
> You can also make both hot instead of cold - delicious in
> winter. Simply reduce the amount of milk by 2 cups, heat
> the cream, if any, before stirring in, and eat as soon as
> you get it off the stove.
>
> If you don't like how thick the mixture turns out, you can
> easily change it by increasing or reducing the amount of
> milk. There's a range of textures you can produce, from
> firm and holding its own shape (4 cups), to very loose and
> runny (8 cups).

Kheer

4 C whole milk 2 T basmati rice (white) 4 Cardamom pods
lightly crushed Cook at a simmer over low heat for well
over an hour ...until it's reduced to 2 C of milk. Pick
out the cardamom Stir in 1/4 C sugar, or to taste Flavor
with a spoonful of rosewater or orange blossom water
Garnish with chopped pistachios and pomegranite seeds.
Chill very very well.

I also have a recipe using whole milk and Cream of Rice!
Lynn from Fargo

"John D. Misrahi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:jzk8c.1255$%%[email protected]...
> I am looking for a recipe for a sort of middle eastern
> rice pudding..They serve it at a local lebanese
> restaurant. It is flavoured with pistachios and/or
> rosewater..It is creamy but pretty thin, if that makes
> any sense.
>
> I don't even know what the proper name for it is..
>
> any help would be appreciated
>
> john
Will this do?

Dimitri

Moohalabiyeh

10 servings

200 g ground rice
1.5 kg Milk (lukewarm) 300 g sugar 20 g orange flower water
500 g almonds and pistachios

Add water to ground rice, enough to make a paste, then add
this paste to the milk , and cook slowly until thickened (
stirring constantly) add sugar and lastly add orange flower.
Pour into serving cups, let cool , and top with blanched
almonds or pistachios

"Lynn Gifford" wrote in message

> Kheer
>
> 4 C whole milk 2 T basmati rice (white) 4 Cardamom pods
> lightly crushed Cook at a simmer over low heat for well
> over an hour ...until it's reduced to 2 C of milk. Pick
> out the cardamom Stir in 1/4 C sugar, or to taste Flavor
> with a spoonful of rosewater or orange blossom water
> Garnish with chopped pistachios and pomegranite seeds.
> Chill very very well.
>
> I also have a recipe using whole milk and Cream of Rice!
> Lynn from Fargo

Where would I buy rosewater or orange blossom water? Would
they be health food store items?

Dora

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:47:45 -0500, limey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Where would I buy rosewater or orange blossom water? Would
> they be health food store items?

Hi Dora! I found both at a nearby Middle Eastern
grocery, but have also seen rosewater (not sure about
orange blossom) at an Indian grocery store. Health
food stores are worth a look.

Ariane

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:33:16 GMT, Ariane Jenkins
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:47:45 -0500, limey
><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Where would I buy rosewater or orange blossom water?
>> Would they
be health
>> food store items?
>
> Hi Dora! I found both at a nearby Middle Eastern
> grocery, but have also seen rosewater (not sure
> about orange blossom) at an Indian grocery store.
> Health food stores are worth a look.
>
>Ariane

Our local health food store had rosewater. aloha, Thunder

http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

"limey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Where would I buy rosewater or orange blossom water? Would
> they be health food store items?
>
> Dora
======================================
Maybe in a health food store, more likely in a middle
eastern store or an Indian store.

They are not expensiVe - under $3 a bottle (will last you
forever) Lynn from Fargo

"limey" wrote in message >
> Where would I buy rosewater or orange blossom water?
> Would they be
health
> food store items?
>
> Dora