Middle toes on one foot numb...?

MrBeetleman

Sep 13, 2010
I have just gotten back into cycling and I am finding that the middle toes on my right foot are going numb while riding.
I have new, well fitting cycling shoes that I am not tightening too much. I just wanted any ideas as to cause....

Originally Posted by MrBeetleman .

I have just gotten back into cycling and I am finding that the middle toes on my right foot are going numb while riding.
I have new, well fitting cycling shoes that I am not tightening too much. I just wanted any ideas as to cause....

If they're not too tight and you're not tighening them too tight then the likely suspect is the insole of the shoe putting pressure on the bottom of your foot where it shouldn't be. This is likely the arch support pressing a little too far towards your toes. If you have shoes with removable inserts that can be retrofitted with custom insoles - similar to the Specialized Body Geometry insoles - then that's where I'd look first. Those insoles work great in Specialized shoes but I haven't heard of anyone using them in a pair of Sidis...

I've had a similar problem with my right foot... moving my cleats back about a half a cm relieved alot, but after longer rides it still comes back. Another thing I've noticed is that I push with my right much more than with my left. Probably because of recovering from a left ankle injury a few months ago.

If I concentrate on pedaling evenly, without favoring my right and making sure to pull, scrape, etc. it seems to help. I don't know if that makes sense, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Just works for me.

Sounds like preliminary stages of Morton's neuroma, a common foot ailment for skiers, skaters, runners, cyclists, and anyone else who might wear shoes that are too narrow and laced too tightly. You are doing right by using wider shoes, and metatarsal arch supports such as those in Specialized BG insoles will help.