Midges in Scotland - Again !

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jem, Jan 18, 2005.

  1. Jem

    Jem Guest

    Tags:

  2. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:01:58 -0000, Jem wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Further to my last thread about midges in Scotland, I found this link...
    >
    >http://a5.zencatalog.com/Group55/Mosquito_Contro.html
    >
    >What do you think?????

    Ha ha ha. Given that the biggest predators of midges are swifts
    swallows and martins I don't think this is going to work in Scotland.

  3. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:01:58 -0000, Jem wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Further to my last thread about midges in Scotland, I found this link...
    >
    >http://a5.zencatalog.com/Group55/Mosquito_Contro.html
    >
    >What do you think?????

    Ha ha ha. Given that the biggest predators of midges are swifts
    swallows and martins I don't think this is going to work in Scotland.

  4. Fran

    Fran Guest

  5. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Jem wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Further to my last thread about midges in Scotland, I found this link...
    >
    > http://a5.zencatalog.com/Group55/Mosquito_Contro.html
    >
    > What do you think?????
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Jem

    There seems to be some sort of misconception around that midges are just
    some form of mosquito. Let me tell you that they are not related at all.
    No self-respecting midge would EVER date a mosquito.

    druidh

  6. Nick

    Nick Guest

    - And on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:43:42 +0000, it was spake thus in <[email protected]> said in message Phil Cook <[email protected]>:

    > On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:01:58 -0000, Jem wrote:
    >
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >Further to my last thread about midges in Scotland, I found this link...
    > >
    > >http://a5.zencatalog.com/Group55/Mosquito_Contro.html
    > >
    > >What do you think?????

    > Ha ha ha. Given that the biggest predators of midges are swifts
    > swallows and martins I don't think this is going to work in Scotland.

    Don't forget about Bats too, each bat consumes it's own weight a night !

    There's not enough bats out there to assist due to humans destroying
    their habitat/roosts, so who's fault is it that there's so many midges
    and other insects ?!
    --
    Nick in Northallerton
    www.whelan.me.uk

  7. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    "Nick" <[email protected]> wrote

    > There's not enough bats out there to assist due to humans destroying
    > their habitat/roosts, so who's fault is it that there's so many midges
    > and other insects ?!

    There's somewhere I know where a specially designed all mod cons bat roost
    shed has been supplied for one colony. That's only because they want to
    redevelop the site of their current roost though. Last I heard they bats
    were resisting all encouragement to get them to move out.

  8. Graham Seed

    Graham Seed Guest

  9. Jem

    Jem Guest

    Hi all

    Thanks for all your replies to this and my previous thread.

    Guess what... based on the replies we've now decided to go to the Cotswolds
    instead!

    This is mainly due to our two girls (13 and 11) running a mile if they see a
    single fly, I can't even begin to imagine how they'll cope surrounded by
    midges.

    Ah well...

    Cheers

    Jem

    P.S. Is there a time when the midges aren't about in Scotland, ie., spring
    or late summer?

    "Graham Seed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]

    > "Jem" <[email protected]***NOSPAM***btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Further to my last thread about midges in Scotland, I found this link...
    >>
    >> http://a5.zencatalog.com/Group55/Mosquito_Contro.html
    >>
    >> What do you think?????
    >>

    > Nope. Buy a (very) cheap bottle of whisky instead, drink it all at once
    > and
    > you should at least get a good nights sleep.
    >
    > Graham

  10. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Jem wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > Thanks for all your replies to this and my previous thread.
    >
    > Guess what... based on the replies we've now decided to go to the Cotswolds
    > instead!
    >
    > This is mainly due to our two girls (13 and 11) running a mile if they see a
    > single fly, I can't even begin to imagine how they'll cope surrounded by
    > midges.
    >
    > Ah well...
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Jem
    >
    > P.S. Is there a time when the midges aren't about in Scotland, ie., spring
    > or late summer?

    Jem

    Your response made me laugh. A bit like saying you fancied Dubai, were
    told it got a bit hot so decided on Wales instead.

    You need to realise that the whole midge thing is completely overstated
    in attempt to deter visitors. Can you imagine what the Highlands would
    be like if it was as polpular as the Lakes?

    As for your children - I think they need to get out more.

    Enjoy the Cotswolds - no flies there then? Just wait until global
    warming kicks in!

    druidh

  11. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:18:31 GMT, druidh wrote:

    >Jem wrote:

    >> Guess what... based on the replies we've now decided to go to the Cotswolds
    >> instead!
    >>
    >> This is mainly due to our two girls (13 and 11) running a mile if they see a
    >> single fly, I can't even begin to imagine how they'll cope surrounded by
    >> midges.

    >> P.S. Is there a time when the midges aren't about in Scotland, ie., spring
    >> or late summer?

    Late autumn to early spring. Roughly late September to mid May.

    The best defence agin the wee beasties is a brick wall - strictly
    speaking four of them with a roof and closed windows :)

    >You need to realise that the whole midge thing is completely overstated
    >in attempt to deter visitors. Can you imagine what the Highlands would
    >be like if it was as polpular as the Lakes?

    Well it is and it isn't. If you get them bad it can be hell but if it
    blows a bit you are fine.

    >As for your children - I think they need to get out more.
    >
    >Enjoy the Cotswolds - no flies there then?

    Plenty of bluebottles warble fies horseflies, but at leat you can see
    them coming :)

  12. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected]***NOSPAM***btinternet.com said...
    > P.S. Is there a time when the midges aren't about in Scotland, ie., spring
    > or late summer?

    Apparently not. Sorry :-(
    --
    All the best to everyone in 2005
    - Fran

  13. Mike Smith

    Mike Smith Guest

    Jem wrote:

    > P.S. Is there a time when the midges aren't about in Scotland, ie., spring
    > or late summer?

    I find that late May or mid-September are OK.

  14. Jem

    Jem Guest

    Glad I made you smile, there's not enough of it about these days :)

    Perhaps I didn't explain too well, but it was me that voted for going to
    Scotland and my wife the Cotswolds, the kids didn't get a vote !

    We take the kids out LOADS, walking here there and everywhere (mainly Lakes
    and Yorks Dales). BUT it still doesn't alter the fact that they don't like
    little flies, seemingly big giant ones are o.k. but the little ones... They
    drive the kids crazy and make our life miserable. I've forgotten how many
    hundred times i've said 'just ignore them, they won't do you any harm'.

    So, for the sake of sanity and until they eventually get old enough to
    realise they're 'fairly' harmless... the Cotswolds it is !

    Ho Hum...

    Cheers

    Jem

    "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Jem wrote:
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> Thanks for all your replies to this and my previous thread.
    >>
    >> Guess what... based on the replies we've now decided to go to the
    >> Cotswolds instead!
    >>
    >> This is mainly due to our two girls (13 and 11) running a mile if they
    >> see a single fly, I can't even begin to imagine how they'll cope
    >> surrounded by midges.
    >>
    >> Ah well...
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Jem
    >>
    >> P.S. Is there a time when the midges aren't about in Scotland, ie.,
    >> spring or late summer?
    >>

    > Jem
    >
    > Your response made me laugh. A bit like saying you fancied Dubai, were
    > told it got a bit hot so decided on Wales instead.
    >
    > You need to realise that the whole midge thing is completely overstated in
    > attempt to deter visitors. Can you imagine what the Highlands would be
    > like if it was as polpular as the Lakes?
    >
    > As for your children - I think they need to get out more.
    >
    > Enjoy the Cotswolds - no flies there then? Just wait until global warming
    > kicks in!
    >

    > druidh

  15. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Jem wrote:
    > Glad I made you smile, there's not enough of it about these days :)
    >
    > Perhaps I didn't explain too well, but it was me that voted for going

    > Scotland and my wife the Cotswolds, the kids didn't get a vote !
    >
    > We take the kids out LOADS, walking here there and everywhere (mainly

    Lakes
    > and Yorks Dales). BUT it still doesn't alter the fact that they

    don't like
    > little flies, seemingly big giant ones are o.k. but the little

    ones... They
    > drive the kids crazy and make our life miserable. I've forgotten how

    many
    > hundred times i've said 'just ignore them, they won't do you any

    harm'.

    > So, for the sake of sanity and until they eventually get old enough

    > realise they're 'fairly' harmless... the Cotswolds it is !
    >
    > Ho Hum...
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Jem

    I must admit to finding flies / midgies more of a problem while cycling
    as I seem to end up swalowing them. I wonder how many calories in a
    midge??

    Pity the kids aren't into Balamory - seems to drag loads of families to
    Mull at the moment. Of course, you can always indulge in a spot of
    walking while you're there. . . .

    druidh

  16. On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:42:46 -0000, "Jem"
    <[email protected]***NOSPAM***btinternet.com> wrote:

    >P.S. Is there a time when the midges aren't about in Scotland, ie., spring
    >or late summer?

    Spring is OK, up to mid-to-late May, except in Skye where it's the
    beginning of May :-(
    If by late summer you mean late August then they're at their peak
    then. If you mean mid-to-late September then on average you should be
    OK.
    --
    York Alpine Club - http://www.yorkalpineclub.org.uk
    Recent Photos - http://climbing.me.uk

  17. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
    <[email protected]> writes
    >>Enjoy the Cotswolds - no flies there then?

    >Plenty of bluebottles warble fies horseflies, but at leat you can see
    >them coming :)

    Yeah! warble flies are nice - they lay their eggs just under your skin,
    the larva burrows along and then when you think you have a boil
    somewhere watch it burst and a fly emerge.

    NICE!
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  18. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > >>Enjoy the Cotswolds - no flies there then?

    > >Plenty of bluebottles warble fies horseflies, but at least you can see
    > >them coming :)

    > Yeah! warble flies are nice - they lay their eggs just under your skin,
    > the larva burrows along and then when you think you have a boil
    > somewhere watch it burst and a fly emerge.
    >
    > NICE!

    This must be some strange value of 'nice' that I've hitherto
    failed to find in a dictionary of English usage.
    --
    If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs...
    then you've failed to grasp some important aspect of the