Midges in Scotland - Again !

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:01:58 -0000, Jem wrote:

>Hi
>
>Further to my last thread about midges in Scotland, I found this link...
>
>http://a5.zencatalog.com/Group55/Mosquito_Contro.html
>
>What do you think?????

Ha ha ha. Given that the biggest predators of midges are swifts
swallows and martins I don't think this is going to work in Scotland.

Jem wrote:
> Hi
>
> Further to my last thread about midges in Scotland, I found this link...
>
> http://a5.zencatalog.com/Group55/Mosquito_Contro.html
>
> What do you think?????
>
> Cheers
>
> Jem

There seems to be some sort of misconception around that midges are just
some form of mosquito. Let me tell you that they are not related at all.
No self-respecting midge would EVER date a mosquito.

druidh

- And on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:43:42 +0000, it was spake thus in <[email protected]> said in message Phil Cook <[email protected]>:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:01:58 -0000, Jem wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >Further to my last thread about midges in Scotland, I found this link...
> >
> >http://a5.zencatalog.com/Group55/Mosquito_Contro.html
> >
> >What do you think?????

> Ha ha ha. Given that the biggest predators of midges are swifts
> swallows and martins I don't think this is going to work in Scotland.

Don't forget about Bats too, each bat consumes it's own weight a night !

There's not enough bats out there to assist due to humans destroying
their habitat/roosts, so who's fault is it that there's so many midges
and other insects ?!
--
Nick in Northallerton
www.whelan.me.uk

"Nick" <[email protected]> wrote

> There's not enough bats out there to assist due to humans destroying
> their habitat/roosts, so who's fault is it that there's so many midges
> and other insects ?!

There's somewhere I know where a specially designed all mod cons bat roost
shed has been supplied for one colony. That's only because they want to
redevelop the site of their current roost though. Last I heard they bats
were resisting all encouragement to get them to move out.

Hi all

Thanks for all your replies to this and my previous thread.

Guess what... based on the replies we've now decided to go to the Cotswolds
instead!

This is mainly due to our two girls (13 and 11) running a mile if they see a
single fly, I can't even begin to imagine how they'll cope surrounded by
midges.

Ah well...

Cheers

Jem

P.S. Is there a time when the midges aren't about in Scotland, ie., spring
or late summer?

news:%[email protected]...

Jem wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Thanks for all your replies to this and my previous thread.
>
> Guess what... based on the replies we've now decided to go to the Cotswolds
> instead!
>
> This is mainly due to our two girls (13 and 11) running a mile if they see a
> single fly, I can't even begin to imagine how they'll cope surrounded by
> midges.
>
> Ah well...
>
> Cheers
>
> Jem
>
> P.S. Is there a time when the midges aren't about in Scotland, ie., spring
> or late summer?

Jem

Your response made me laugh. A bit like saying you fancied Dubai, were
told it got a bit hot so decided on Wales instead.

You need to realise that the whole midge thing is completely overstated
in attempt to deter visitors. Can you imagine what the Highlands would
be like if it was as polpular as the Lakes?

As for your children - I think they need to get out more.

Enjoy the Cotswolds - no flies there then? Just wait until global
warming kicks in!

druidh

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:18:31 GMT, druidh wrote:

>Jem wrote:

>> Guess what... based on the replies we've now decided to go to the Cotswolds
>> instead!
>>
>> This is mainly due to our two girls (13 and 11) running a mile if they see a
>> single fly, I can't even begin to imagine how they'll cope surrounded by
>> midges.

>> P.S. Is there a time when the midges aren't about in Scotland, ie., spring
>> or late summer?

Late autumn to early spring. Roughly late September to mid May.

The best defence agin the wee beasties is a brick wall - strictly
speaking four of them with a roof and closed windows :)

>You need to realise that the whole midge thing is completely overstated
>in attempt to deter visitors. Can you imagine what the Highlands would
>be like if it was as polpular as the Lakes?

Well it is and it isn't. If you get them bad it can be hell but if it
blows a bit you are fine.

>As for your children - I think they need to get out more.
>
>Enjoy the Cotswolds - no flies there then?

Plenty of bluebottles warble fies horseflies, but at leat you can see
them coming :)

Jem wrote:

> P.S. Is there a time when the midges aren't about in Scotland, ie., spring
> or late summer?

I find that late May or mid-September are OK.

Glad I made you smile, there's not enough of it about these days :)

Perhaps I didn't explain too well, but it was me that voted for going to
Scotland and my wife the Cotswolds, the kids didn't get a vote !

We take the kids out LOADS, walking here there and everywhere (mainly Lakes
and Yorks Dales). BUT it still doesn't alter the fact that they don't like
little flies, seemingly big giant ones are o.k. but the little ones... They
drive the kids crazy and make our life miserable. I've forgotten how many
hundred times i've said 'just ignore them, they won't do you any harm'.

So, for the sake of sanity and until they eventually get old enough to
realise they're 'fairly' harmless... the Cotswolds it is !

Ho Hum...

Cheers

Jem

news:[email protected]...

Jem wrote:
> Glad I made you smile, there's not enough of it about these days :)
>
> Perhaps I didn't explain too well, but it was me that voted for going

> Scotland and my wife the Cotswolds, the kids didn't get a vote !
>
> We take the kids out LOADS, walking here there and everywhere (mainly

Lakes
> and Yorks Dales). BUT it still doesn't alter the fact that they

don't like
> little flies, seemingly big giant ones are o.k. but the little

ones... They
> drive the kids crazy and make our life miserable. I've forgotten how

many
> hundred times i've said 'just ignore them, they won't do you any

harm'.

> So, for the sake of sanity and until they eventually get old enough

> realise they're 'fairly' harmless... the Cotswolds it is !
>
> Ho Hum...
>
> Cheers
>
> Jem

I must admit to finding flies / midgies more of a problem while cycling
as I seem to end up swalowing them. I wonder how many calories in a
midge??

Pity the kids aren't into Balamory - seems to drag loads of families to
Mull at the moment. Of course, you can always indulge in a spot of
walking while you're there. . . .

druidh

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:42:46 -0000, "Jem"
<jeremy.turner@***NOSPAM***btinternet.com> wrote:

>P.S. Is there a time when the midges aren't about in Scotland, ie., spring
>or late summer?

Spring is OK, up to mid-to-late May, except in Skye where it's the
beginning of May :-(
If by late summer you mean late August then they're at their peak
then. If you mean mid-to-late September then on average you should be
OK.
--
York Alpine Club - http://www.yorkalpineclub.org.uk
Recent Photos - http://climbing.me.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
<[email protected]> writes
>>Enjoy the Cotswolds - no flies there then?

>Plenty of bluebottles warble fies horseflies, but at leat you can see
>them coming :)

Yeah! warble flies are nice - they lay their eggs just under your skin,
the larva burrows along and then when you think you have a boil
somewhere watch it burst and a fly emerge.

NICE!
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

[email protected] said...
> In article <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
> <[email protected]> writes
> >>Enjoy the Cotswolds - no flies there then?

> >Plenty of bluebottles warble fies horseflies, but at least you can see
> >them coming :)

> Yeah! warble flies are nice - they lay their eggs just under your skin,
> the larva burrows along and then when you think you have a boil
> somewhere watch it burst and a fly emerge.
>
> NICE!

This must be some strange value of 'nice' that I've hitherto
failed to find in a dictionary of English usage.
--
If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs...
then you've failed to grasp some important aspect of the