Midges Mid-September

Jim Compton

Guest
Back in the Highlands Sept 16-23 --- Glencoe, Ardnamurchan, Skye ---

I've never been this early (usually Oct-Nov) --- have heard mid Sept is near
the point where the midge problem dies out but that the whole thing is
rather weather dependent each year --- so, how about this year ?

Thanks ---

I've not really had problems on the East side of Scotland with midges. A few
are about, but not many. Can't remember with the West side.

I usually go to Scotland in either May/June or September, BTW.

Jhimmy

"Jim Compton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:kCjXc.4226$Y%[email protected]...
> Back in the Highlands Sept 16-23 --- Glencoe, Ardnamurchan, Skye ---
>
> I've never been this early (usually Oct-Nov) --- have heard mid Sept is

near
> the point where the midge problem dies out but that the whole thing is
> rather weather dependent each year --- so, how about this year ?
>

> Thanks ---

"Jim Compton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:kCjXc.4226$Y%[email protected]...
> Back in the Highlands Sept 16-23 --- Glencoe, Ardnamurchan, Skye ---
>
> I've never been this early (usually Oct-Nov) --- have heard mid Sept is

near
> the point where the midge problem dies out but that the whole thing is
> rather weather dependent each year --- so, how about this year ?

I had a day on Ben Vane (Loch Lomondside) on Sunday without encountering
any, which was strange as I had "she who attracts midges" with me. On the
other hand, I've just read a post in another group reporting getting eaten
alive this week in the Dundee area.

Maybe they're migrating east, or are being blown by the prevailing gales...

--
Duncan Gray

homepage - www.duncolm.co.uk
also www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk
The Mountaineering Council of Scotland

I was in Glencoe for (I think) the third week of September last year,
and midges weren't a problem at all. (Ticks were.) I'm intending to be in
Glencoe again for the same week this year, so fingers crossed!

Mark
--
Mark Manning [email protected]

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:14:24 GMT, "Jim Compton"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Back in the Highlands Sept 16-23 --- Glencoe, Ardnamurchan, Skye ---
>
>I've never been this early (usually Oct-Nov) --- have heard mid Sept is near
>the point where the midge problem dies out but that the whole thing is
>rather weather dependent each year --- so, how about this year ?

It depends largely on when the first frosts arrive I think. So hard
to say until it's happened!
My guess would be that you'll be OK - but you never quite know...

* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
* of violets, as Jim Compton <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
* of golden sunlight, and announced:

> I've never been this early (usually Oct-Nov) --- have heard mid Sept is near
> the point where the midge problem dies out but that the whole thing is
> rather weather dependent each year --- so, how about this year ?

FWIW I've just been to the Cairngorms and never seen the midges so bad. In
Glen Geusachen they were in a thick grey/brown cloud outside my tent, waiting
for me! When I got out, they descended on me and I was choking on them. When
I blew my nose, I had about 50 in the tissue!

Regards: Jim Ford

"Jim Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> * The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
> * of violets, as Jim Compton <[email protected]> descended on a

shaft
> * of golden sunlight, and announced:
>
> > I've never been this early (usually Oct-Nov) --- have heard mid Sept is

near
> > the point where the midge problem dies out but that the whole thing is
> > rather weather dependent each year --- so, how about this year ?

> FWIW I've just been to the Cairngorms and never seen the midges so bad. In
> Glen Geusachen they were in a thick grey/brown cloud outside my tent,

waiting
> for me! When I got out, they descended on me and I was choking on them.

When
> I blew my nose, I had about 50 in the tissue!
>
> Regards: Jim Ford

Just back from a midgeless Skye!!

druidh