Midges Mid-September

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jim Compton, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. Jim Compton

    Jim Compton Guest

    Back in the Highlands Sept 16-23 --- Glencoe, Ardnamurchan, Skye ---

    I've never been this early (usually Oct-Nov) --- have heard mid Sept is near
    the point where the midge problem dies out but that the whole thing is
    rather weather dependent each year --- so, how about this year ?

    Thanks ---

    Tags:

  2. Jhimmy

    Jhimmy Guest

    I've not really had problems on the East side of Scotland with midges. A few
    are about, but not many. Can't remember with the West side.

    I usually go to Scotland in either May/June or September, BTW.

    Jhimmy

    "Jim Compton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:kCjXc.4226$Y%[email protected]
    > Back in the Highlands Sept 16-23 --- Glencoe, Ardnamurchan, Skye ---
    >
    > I've never been this early (usually Oct-Nov) --- have heard mid Sept is

    near
    > the point where the midge problem dies out but that the whole thing is
    > rather weather dependent each year --- so, how about this year ?
    >

    > Thanks ---

  3. Duncan Gray

    Duncan Gray Guest

    "Jim Compton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:kCjXc.4226$Y%[email protected]
    > Back in the Highlands Sept 16-23 --- Glencoe, Ardnamurchan, Skye ---
    >
    > I've never been this early (usually Oct-Nov) --- have heard mid Sept is

    near
    > the point where the midge problem dies out but that the whole thing is
    > rather weather dependent each year --- so, how about this year ?

    I had a day on Ben Vane (Loch Lomondside) on Sunday without encountering
    any, which was strange as I had "she who attracts midges" with me. On the
    other hand, I've just read a post in another group reporting getting eaten
    alive this week in the Dundee area.

    Maybe they're migrating east, or are being blown by the prevailing gales...

    --
    Duncan Gray

    homepage - www.duncolm.co.uk
    also www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk
    The Mountaineering Council of Scotland

  4. Mark Manning

    Mark Manning Guest

    I was in Glencoe for (I think) the third week of September last year,
    and midges weren't a problem at all. (Ticks were.) I'm intending to be in
    Glencoe again for the same week this year, so fingers crossed!

    Mark
    --
    Mark Manning [email protected]

  5. On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:14:24 GMT, "Jim Compton"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Back in the Highlands Sept 16-23 --- Glencoe, Ardnamurchan, Skye ---
    >
    >I've never been this early (usually Oct-Nov) --- have heard mid Sept is near
    >the point where the midge problem dies out but that the whole thing is
    >rather weather dependent each year --- so, how about this year ?

    It depends largely on when the first frosts arrive I think. So hard
    to say until it's happened!
    My guess would be that you'll be OK - but you never quite know...

  6. Jim Ford

    Jim Ford Guest

    * The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
    * of violets, as Jim Compton <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
    * of golden sunlight, and announced:

    > I've never been this early (usually Oct-Nov) --- have heard mid Sept is near
    > the point where the midge problem dies out but that the whole thing is
    > rather weather dependent each year --- so, how about this year ?

    FWIW I've just been to the Cairngorms and never seen the midges so bad. In
    Glen Geusachen they were in a thick grey/brown cloud outside my tent, waiting
    for me! When I got out, they descended on me and I was choking on them. When
    I blew my nose, I had about 50 in the tissue!

    Regards: Jim Ford

  7. druidh

    druidh Guest

    "Jim Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > * The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
    > * of violets, as Jim Compton <[email protected]> descended on a

    shaft
    > * of golden sunlight, and announced:
    >
    > > I've never been this early (usually Oct-Nov) --- have heard mid Sept is

    near
    > > the point where the midge problem dies out but that the whole thing is
    > > rather weather dependent each year --- so, how about this year ?

    > FWIW I've just been to the Cairngorms and never seen the midges so bad. In
    > Glen Geusachen they were in a thick grey/brown cloud outside my tent,

    waiting
    > for me! When I got out, they descended on me and I was choking on them.

    When
    > I blew my nose, I had about 50 in the tissue!
    >
    > Regards: Jim Ford

    Just back from a midgeless Skye!!

    druidh

  8. SteveO