Midges on the Coast to coast

M

Michael Brockhu

I received this letter from a friend who is planning to do the Coast to Coast walk this summer. I
have advised her that late summer evenings can be bad if its warm (late August and September). Can
any of you offer any futher advice I can pass on to her.

Thanks, Mike

the message reads "I've heard that the midges are bad on the C2C walk at certain times of year. Can
you tell me when that is and where they are most prevalent?"

Tel: 01132 584000 Mobile: 07729826619 Email: [email protected] Web Site:
www.walkingenglishman.com

"Michael Brockhurst" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> I received this letter from a friend who is planning to do the Coast to Coast walk this summer. I
> have advised her that late summer evenings can be bad if its warm (late August and September). Can
> any of you offer any futher advice I can pass on to her.
>
> Thanks, Mike

Which Coast to Coast? If you mean the Wainwright, midges are unlikely to be a problem. The one
starting at Oban is a different matter altogether.

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

In message <[email protected]>, Ian Dainty
<[email protected]> writes
>"Michael Brockhurst" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>
>> I received this letter from a friend who is planning to do the Coast to Coast walk this summer. I
>> have advised her that late summer evenings can be bad if its warm (late August and September).
>> Can any of you offer any futher advice I can pass on to her.
>>
>> Thanks, Mike
>
>Which Coast to Coast? If you mean the Wainwright, midges are unlikely to be a problem. The one
>starting at Oban is a different matter altogether.
>
>
If she went now there would not be too much of a problem. Not with midges, anyway.

--
Martin Richardson
216/284 Munros (34/34 'Furths')
217/89 Donalds 397/1552 Marilyns 439/439 Nuttalls

>Which Coast to Coast? If you mean the Wainwright, midges are unlikely to be a problem. The one
>starting at Oban is a different matter altogether.
>

English midges are not to be scoffed at - OK there may opnly be 10% of the Highland hordes, but 10%
of a near infinite horde is a bad midging.

Ask anyone who climbs at Stanage in summer. I have had some right doing overs in the Yorkshire
Dales as well.

Richard Webb

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> >Which Coast to Coast? If you mean the Wainwright, midges are
unlikely
> >to be a problem. The one starting at Oban is a different matter altogether.
> >
>
> English midges are not to be scoffed at - OK there may opnly be 10%
of
> the Highland hordes, but 10% of a near infinite horde is a bad midging.
>
> Ask anyone who climbs at Stanage in summer. I have had some right doing overs in the Yorkshire
> Dales as well.
>
Yes, it's getting worse. I had my first unpleasant week in the Dales last year and the NYMoors has
several sites where camping is only for hard people.

Graham

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (RJ Webb) writes:

> English midges are not to be scoffed at (snip) Ask anyone who climbs at Stanage in summer. I have
> had some right doing overs in the Yorkshire Dales as well.

Stanage? Phooey, smallfry. And the Dales? You surprise me: I thought limestone wasn't their
environment.

OTOH, the worst midging I've ever had was Northumberland, England. An exceptionally hot and humid
night .....

--
Nick Kew

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:24:13 -0000, "Michael Brockhurst"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I received this letter from a friend who is planning to do the Coast to Coast walk this summer. I
>have advised her that late summer evenings can be bad if its warm (late August and September). Can
>any of you offer any futher advice I can pass on to her.

Don't for God's sake stop in Ennerdale in the forested areas - I nearly went batshit last time I did
that. They obviously got booted out of a council estate in Scotland and set up home there - vicious
little sods.

Camp/B&B at Ennerdale Bridge, but you want to be making Black Sail YHA or face the consequences!

>
>Thanks, Mike
>
>the message reads "I've heard that the midges are bad on the C2C walk at certain times of year. Can
>you tell me when that is and where they are most prevalent?"
>
>Tel: 01132 584000 Mobile: 07729826619 Email: [email protected] Web Site:
>www.walkingenglishman.com
>

--
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick -
looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

>Stanage? Phooey, smallfry. And the Dales? You surprise me: I thought limestone wasn't their
>environment.

Plenty of sour land in the Dales... on the grit. Its a different experience of course, you dont
get the unimaginable numbers as in Galloway or the Highlands, you do get enough to make sitting
outside on a still evening a very unpleasant experience. I think its getting worse. They are
migrating south!

I have heard folk in Midlothian complain that its starting to get worse there too.

Richard Webb

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> >
> >Stanage? Phooey, smallfry. And the Dales? You surprise me: I
thought
> >limestone wasn't their environment.
>
> Plenty of sour land in the Dales... on the grit.

I got plagued at Hawkswick Cote. I wanted to sit down in the evening and sip a scotch with the sun
shining on what is predominantly a limestone valley (Littondale) but I ended up with my head inside
a midge hood just for a bit of peace. Nothing serious a la Highlands, but there was a time when
midges were totally absent.

Graham