Midracers?

Tom Sherman

Guest
Frank P. Patterson wrote:

> ...Why are there no dual 24" compact midracers?...

The first generation ATP Vision Saber had ISO 520-mm (24") wheels.
However, the seat height made it more of a highracer. If there have been
any other production recumbents using dual wheels of this size, they do
not come readily to mind.

Tire and rim selection for ISO 520-mm is relatively poor; only narrow
road tires and rims, and not too many of those. This limits the bike to
being best suited for racing and club riding, and a poor choice for bad
roads, touring and commuting. These factors will limits sales.

The ISO 507-mm (24") size is no better, with most rims and tires
intended for inexpensive bicycles sold by mass marketers for use by
juveniles.

The number of potential riders who would buy a highracer but for being
too short of stature to fit a bike with dual ISO 559-mm or ISO 571-mm
wheels is small, which is likely why this market has not yet been
addressed. There may be enough potential volume for it to be profitable
if only one of the likely candidates (RANS, Volae, and Bacchetta)
marketed such a bicycle.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Tom Sherman wrote:

> Frank P. Patterson wrote:
>
> > ...Why are there no dual 24" compact midracers?...

> The first generation ATP Vision Saber had ISO 520-mm (24") wheels.
> However, the seat height made it more of a highracer. If there have been
> any other production recumbents using dual wheels of this size, they do
> not come readily to mind.
> At the time of ordering my T-Bone dual 700, I was very tempted to go with the 520 size. The overall dimentions would have been smaller.

> Tire and rim selection for ISO 520-mm is relatively poor; only narrow
> road tires and rims, and not too many of those. This limits the bike to
> being best suited for racing and club riding, and a poor choice for bad
> roads, touring and commuting. These factors will limits sales.
>A friend of mine markets the "Airnimal". It is a very light weight,

folding, dual520 Moulton-type bike for the serious rider.
Also, club and low level racing is what I do. Along with the majority
of riders I know, including my wife.

> The ISO 507-mm (24") size is no better, with most rims and tires
> intended for inexpensive bicycles sold by mass marketers for use by
> juveniles.

A set of 520 tires and tubes will be lighter than the same quality 650
or 700s.

> The number of potential riders who would buy a highracer but for being
> too short of stature to fit a bike with dual ISO 559-mm or ISO 571-mm
> wheels is small, which is likely why this market has not yet been
> addressed. There may be enough potential volume for it to be profitable
> if only one of the likely candidates (RANS, Volae, and Bacchetta)
> marketed such a bicycle.

I believe I understood George to say he would build it if I ordered it.

Thanks for the response.
Frank