Miele Bicycle with Exage Motion components

Benjamin Goldenberg

Guest
Hi,
I recently purchased a late 80s 12-speed Miele Tournet road bicycle
with Exage Motion components. I haven't been able to find much online
about this particular gruppo. Does anyone know anything about them?
Also does anyone know anythinga bout this particular model of Miele?
It has Tange Infinity tubing, for what it's worth.

Thanks,
Benjamin

On Aug 13, 6:50 pm, Benjamin Goldenberg <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently purchased a late 80s 12-speed Miele Tournet road bicycle
> with Exage Motion components. I haven't been able to find much online
> about this particular gruppo. Does anyone know anything about them?
> Also does anyone know anythinga bout this particular model of Miele?
> It has Tange Infinity tubing, for what it's worth

Wasn't it a replacement for "Light Action" stuff at the bottom of the
road range? I just rebuilt some Exage hubs and laced them up. It might
have been a lower end group, but it looks and functions very nicely.
Sounds like a typical bike of the era--one that you can have plenty of
fun monkeying around with.

On Aug 13, 5:07 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Wasn't it a replacement for "Light Action" stuff at the bottom of the
> road range?

Pretty much. Probably on par with Tiagra or Sora. Product code was
A400, IIRC.

On Aug 13, 9:46 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 5:07 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Wasn't it a replacement for "Light Action" stuff at the bottom of the
> > road range?

> Pretty much. Probably on par with Tiagra or Sora. Product code was
> A400, IIRC.

I wouldn't put Exage on par with Sora. RSX and RX 100 were more like
SORA and TIAGRA.
------------------
Alex

On Aug 14, 8:20 am, Alex <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 9:46 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 13, 5:07 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Wasn't it a replacement for "Light Action" stuff at the bottom of the
> > > road range?

> > Pretty much. Probably on par with Tiagra or Sora. Product code was
> > A400, IIRC.

> I wouldn't put Exage on par with Sora. RSX and RX 100 were more like
> SORA and TIAGRA.
> ------------------
> Alex

Exage Motion was pre-RX100/RSX.

IIRC, the hierarchy at the time was DA, 600EX, 105, Exage Sport, Exage
Motion. So about on par with Sora.
And on further research, the code was A250. So maybe somewhere between
Sora and 2200.

Alex wrote:

> I wouldn't put Exage on par with Sora. RSX and RX 100 were more like
> SORA and TIAGRA.

With RX100 being on a level with Tiagra and RSX on a level with Sora?
It is a little hard for me to remember the old models.

Alex wrote:
> I wouldn't put Exage on par with Sora. RSX and RX 100 were more like
> SORA and TIAGRA.

Everyone has an opinion of course but Exage came in M and A series
(mountain and sport) at 300, 400, 500 levels so you could defend any
position but not all of it was junk by any means. The A400 series in
question has proved quite durable, we see it commonly in service working
just fine 20 years later.

"Light Action" was a feature used on Z series and also Exage to allow
pre-selecting a gear before pedaling without cable damage. Seemed like a
solution in search of a problem.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Aug 14, 6:47 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Pretty much. Probably on par with Tiagra or Sora. Product code was
> >> A400, IIRC.

> Alex wrote:
> > I wouldn't put Exage on par with Sora. RSX and RX 100 were more like
> > SORA and TIAGRA.

> Everyone has an opinion of course but Exage came in M and A series
> (mountain and sport) at 300, 400, 500 levels so you could defend any
> position but not all of it was junk by any means. The A400 series in
> question has proved quite durable, we see it commonly in service working
> just fine 20 years later.

I'm telling ya, the hubs I salvaged weren't fancy, but were
surprisingly sweet, and very easy to adjust. These guys:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=14420&src=froogle

I like the way they look compared to the new Shimano stuff. Just a
classic Japanese form.

> "Light Action" was a feature used on Z series and also Exage to allow
> pre-selecting a gear before pedaling without cable damage. Seemed like a
> solution in search of a problem.

I had a couple Light Action bikes. Don't remember the feature--but
probably didn't know it was there. Shifted about as good as my mid 80s
600. Mmm, sparkle brown Univega!

On Aug 14, 6:58 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Alex wrote:
> > > I wouldn't put Exage on par with Sora. RSX and RX 100 were more like
> > > SORA and TIAGRA.

> > Everyone has an opinion of course but Exage came in M and A series
> > (mountain and sport) at 300, 400, 500 levels so you could defend any
> > position but not all of it was junk by any means. The A400 series in
> > question has proved quite durable, we see it commonly in service working
> > just fine 20 years later.

Thanks for the information everyone. Do you guys think that there
would be a noticeable difference in updating to a 105 or 600 gruppo of
the same vintage, or not? Also, I'm curious about this Light Action
system. How reliable is it? Can I really shift prior to pedaling
without damage, or should I stick to my old habits?

Thanks,
Benjamin

On Aug 15, 5:46 pm, Benjamin Goldenberg <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Everyone has an opinion of course but Exage came in M and A series
> > > (mountain and sport) at 300, 400, 500 levels so you could defend any
> > > position but not all of it was junk by any means. The A400 series in
> > > question has proved quite durable, we see it commonly in service working
> > > just fine 20 years later.

> Thanks for the information everyone. Do you guys think that there
> would be a noticeable difference in updating to a 105 or 600 gruppo of
> the same vintage, or not?

I don't think it would make much difference, unless the fancier stuff
was less worn. Heck, I just put an ancient SunTour Super Seven on a
bike with a worn out derailleur, and it shifts fine--after I bent the
derailleur tab to be in line with the cassette.

If you really want noticeably better shifting, upgrade to a hyperglide
freewheel/cassette and chain.

On Aug 15, 6:01 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 15, 5:46 pm, Benjamin Goldenberg <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Thanks for the information everyone. Do you guys think that there
> > would be a noticeable difference in updating to a 105 or 600 gruppo of
> > the same vintage, or not?

> I don't think it would make much difference, unless the fancier stuff
> was less worn. Heck, I just put an ancient SunTour Super Seven on a
> bike with a worn out derailleur, and it shifts fine--after I bent the
> derailleur tab to be in line with the cassette.
>
> If you really want noticeably better shifting, upgrade to a hyperglide
> freewheel/cassette and chain.

Come to think of it Exage *is* HG, not UG. D'oh!

Benjamin Goldenberg wrote:
> Thanks for the information everyone. Do you guys think that there
> would be a noticeable difference in updating to a 105 or 600 gruppo of
> the same vintage, or not? Also, I'm curious about this Light Action
> system. How reliable is it? Can I really shift prior to pedaling
> without damage, or should I stick to my old habits?

What's the goal? Lighter? Lower gears? More selection? Fashion?
If you want to build a new wheel, replace everything and go to nine or
ten format, sure, any competent LBS can assist in that. If it all works,
ride and enjoy.
p.s. there's no advantage I can see in clicking the lever before
pedaling, but at least on your bike it won't break anything either.
--

On Aug 15, 8:03 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> [email protected]:

> Benjamin Goldenberg wrote:
> > Thanks for the information everyone. Do you guys think that there
> > would be a noticeable difference in updating to a 105 or 600 gruppo of
> > the same vintage, or not? Also, I'm curious about this Light Action
> > system. How reliable is it? Can I really shift prior to pedaling
> > without damage, or should I stick to my old habits?

> What's the goal? Lighter? Lower gears? More selection? Fashion?
> If you want to build a new wheel, replace everything and go to nine or
> ten format, sure, any competent LBS can assist in that. If it all works,
> ride and enjoy.
> p.s. there's no advantage I can see in clicking the lever before
> pedaling, but at least on your bike it won't break anything either.

Mostly smoother shifting. I've also been thinking about a triple chain
wheel, in which case, I would be replacing a lot of the components
anyway. Thanks for the info.

-Benjamin