(Miele Bike) Thank you - You guys are the greatest

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joanne, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. Joanne

    Joanne Guest

    Hi Folks, The advice I got here from everyone was so helpful. It got me going in the best direction
    with the bike. I never knew until now how much fun a stress fracture would turn out to be!

    The first thing I will do is take it to a shop - probably Bike Specialties - for an honest
    assessment. I would like to get the drive train replaced or at least serviced so that it functions
    properly without the clicking (sounds like something rubbing when in gear.)

    I learned so much here already that I feel far more confident to begin a dialogue with a good
    mechanic about the options for the bike.

    The wheels say Ambrosio and I believe in good condition but the tires are pretty inexpensive
    no-name stuff so I will look into having them upgraded as well. The cables look great, the parts
    look well cared for
    - I think I lucked out with a bike that seems like someone cared a lot for it.

    But one more delicate question....do bike shorts *really* work for padding??? My butt is killing me
    lol!! and I know with work, the, ahem, ride will get easier (and is already).

    Thank you so much again for taking the time to respond and I look forward to learning much
    more here.

    regards Joanne

    Tags:

  2. Danny

    Danny Guest

    Well.. although I fit on the seat just a little differently than you do, the shorts have helped me.
    I haven't ridden in years, and as I do with most things, I bought a bike and immediately started a
    minimum of 5 miles a day on the road, (to and from work), to get familiar with riding again..
    Needless to say, my butt hurt!!! I got the shorts and noticed an immediate difference.

    I would recommend them!

    Danny

    "joanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > (snip) But one more delicate question....do bike shorts *really* work for padding??? My butt is
    > killing me lol!! and I know with work, the, ahem, ride will get easier (and is already).
    >
    > Thank you so much again for taking the time to respond and I look forward to learning much
    > more here.
    >
    > regards Joanne

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    My experience is that bike shorts are worthwhile to protect from chafing and bike seats prevent
    sore butt.

    I commute 20 miles daily. One ride in loose shorts leaves me with chafed and scraped thighs. 50
    rides in spandex, no problem.

    The sore butt, however has only been cured by finding the right saddle and getting it positioned
    right. Took a lot of fiddling to get it right. But that was all time on the bike, so not a chore.

    > But one more delicate question....do bike shorts *really* work for padding??? My butt is killing
    > me lol!!

  4. fid

    fid New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2003
    Bike shorts are absolutely worthwhile. You wont believe what a difference it will make. They seem expensive (atleast they did to me) but they are worth every cent.

    All the best.

    Rob.

  5. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 02:46:28 GMT, [email protected] (joanne) wrote:

    >The wheels say Ambrosio and I believe in good condition

    I don't know if the brand, Ambrosio, has anything to do with this, but I will mention that I bought
    a bike from the mid-80s, 12 speed, with Ambrosio rims. It had been well-ridden, and I put a thousand
    more miles on them. And then I noticed the cracks along the sides of one of the rims, to the inside
    edge of the side.

    Just a few cracks, but the rim was obviously worn out. Fortunately I saw the cracks before the rim
    fell apart while riding.

    Again, I think this was a function of age and use (and the original Modolo sintered brake pads), not
    because they were Ambrosio rims. Still something to check on an older bike every now and then.

  6. Jean

    Jean Guest

    "joanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Hi Folks,

    ...snip...

    | But one more delicate question....do bike shorts *really* work for padding??? My butt is killing
    | me lol!! and I know with work, the, ahem, ride will get easier (and is already).
    |
    | Thank you so much again for taking the time to respond and I look forward to learning much
    | more here.
    |
    | regards Joanne

    As a female rider, my experience is that: -all bike shorts help prevent chaffing of the thighs,
    -well padded bike shorts moderate the pain at the "sit bones", but they increase the pain on the
    "soft tissue".

    Jean

  7. On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, joanne wrote:

    > The first thing I will do is take it to a shop - probably Bike Specialties - for an honest
    > assessment. I would like to get the drive train replaced or at least serviced so that it functions
    > properly without the clicking (sounds like something rubbing when in gear.)

    Is that Mike Barry's Bicycle Specialties in the Toronto area? Great shop!

  8. Joanne,

    I can't find your original post, so don't know how much riding you've been doing. It's normal for
    anyone's butt to hurt the first few days if you haven't been riding for a while. It happens to
    all of us.

    That said, of course, a saddle that suits you is important, and bike shorts -- in my humble opinion,
    I like them for rides over 25 miles, but can do without them for shorter runs. That's just what
    works for me.

    Joe