Migrains

helicopter

Jun 25, 2005
Is there anybody else out there that suffers from migrains when they work out? I think its heat related as I did a 45 miler on a cool day in 2 1/2 hours and finished without even a headache!! But I cant go 6 miles in the heat without having to stop, so i can cool down and stop my headache from turning into a migraine, then off i go again for another 6 miles. I have had this for 20 years, so its not something new. I found cycling a year ago and love it, i refuse to let this condition stop me, but it does stop me from joining a club for obviouse reasons!!. I can generally do 6 miles in 18 minutes without pushing myself, if i went flat out i would be down for the rest of the day, so i never really feel i have a great work out. I try and do 18 to 24 every other day. I tried all the energy drinks etc. dont work. Taking a migraine tab every time i go out is not a great idea either. Am I unique, any advise?

vonnicopter

Very interesting. Would like to know if the cooler weather, no migraine's holds up or if it was a coincidence. Either way, if exercise does cause migraines, you should get a work up from your family doctor. It could be your blood pressure going up to high levels which case you may need some Rx intervention. On hot days, we dehydrate much quicker which can be a factor. Drink so you urinate clearly. If it really is migraine type headache, then it may be vascular in nature. Therefore, try a little coffee prior to your run, Don't do this if it is your blood pressure or dehydration!!!!. Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor and can help.

How often do you consume caffeine?

This may or may not be the answer for you. However, I had horrible migraine headaches all the time. UNTIL I quit caffeine. I have not had a single headache since.

-a

DocK said:
Very interesting. Would like to know if the cooler weather, no migraine's holds up or if it was a coincidence. Either way, if exercise does cause migraines, you should get a work up from your family doctor. It could be your blood pressure going up to high levels which case you may need some Rx intervention. On hot days, we dehydrate much quicker which can be a factor. Drink so you urinate clearly. If it really is migraine type headache, then it may be vascular in nature. Therefore, try a little coffee prior to your run, Don't do this if it is your blood pressure or dehydration!!!!. Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor and can help.
Thanks Dock,
Had workouts from docs, stress test etc. MRI found nothing, which i guess is a good thing, but gave me no answers. Blood pressure tends to run lowish. Always drink lots of h2o. Tend to stay away from coffee makes me hyper!! Would i i get same effect from decaf?

vonnicopter

HoWheels said:
How often do you consume caffeine?

This may or may not be the answer for you. However, I had horrible migraine headaches all the time. UNTIL I quit caffeine. I have not had a single headache since.

-a
Only do the decaf stuff get to hyper on the real mackoy:confused:

vonnicopter

Decaf would not give you the same effect........ Like I said, caffeine maybe could help, but if you don't like to use it I understand. Good Luck finding your solution.

HoWheels said:
Decaff will not get you hyper unless you load it with sugar.

-a
Dont touch sugar, do get jittery on coffee though:confused: going on my bike now, tata for now.

vonnicopter

I don't get them as frequently as I once did ... stress was a factor for me ... caffeine was not a factor ... heat alone was not a factor but dehydration was ...

I found that popping an ibuprofin/aspirin would counter-act it ... I would get numbness in my hand and a streak in my vision about 20 minutes before the headache came on ... if I got to the medicine cabinet quickly, I could limit the migraine effects ...

(FYI: Imitrex didn't work for me either ...)

DocK said:
Dock,
Thought i would try out your coffee suggestion, its works, couldnt believe it, no migraine. Took along some extra coffee, still had to stop cos i was to hot, but recovery time was much quicker, tried it twice now, wish i new this 20 yrs ago!!
Did feel slightly light headed and a little queazy, very hot and humid out there though. But i seem to be going in the right direction thanks to you, I owe you one. Thanks a mill.

vonnicopter

I get the headache always after races. That is until this last weekend of them. Since I had 3 days and 4 races (which I got 2nd in 2 of them) I took the opportunity to experiment. The first one at night was no big, no stress. The second was full sunlight 15 mile XC, the hardest of that sort I have done in 7 yrs. Major headache. I did 1 gel and gatorade before and maintained hydration throughout, but it did not go away for the better part of a day(normal for that). The last day of the set, I did 3 gels with the gatorade and breakfast(Short events I always load first instead of during). The headache and muscle tension went away and I had no headache at all after the day was over. That was after a dirt crit and hillclimb. Only differences were the higher powergel intake, and 2 cans of non-caffinated Red Bull. Non-caffinated gels(Tropical). I wanted the choc-caffinated ones but I could not find them. Thus, in my view it has to be blood-glucose deficiency related since there was no caffine factor.

Conniebiker said:
I get the headache always after races. That is until this last weekend of them. Since I had 3 days and 4 races (which I got 2nd in 2 of them) I took the opportunity to experiment. The first one at night was no big, no stress. The second was full sunlight 15 mile XC, the hardest of that sort I have done in 7 yrs. Major headache. I did 1 gel and gatorade before and maintained hydration throughout, but it did not go away for the better part of a day(normal for that). The last day of the set, I did 3 gels with the gatorade and breakfast(Short events I always load first instead of during). The headache and muscle tension went away and I had no headache at all after the day was over. That was after a dirt crit and hillclimb. Only differences were the higher powergel intake, and 2 cans of non-caffinated Red Bull. Non-caffinated gels(Tropical). I wanted the choc-caffinated ones but I could not find them. Thus, in my view it has to be blood-glucose deficiency related since there was no caffine factor.
Interesting, I was borderline diabetic 10 years ago, but after a change of diet am now normal. I do the low carb as a life style ( not a diet) i dont believe in diets!! am not too strict on it though. What is the gel stuff you talk about?
Congrats on placing 2nd in the races must feel really good:D Off on my bike, tata for now.

vonnicopter

Powerbar brand Powergel is my fav. There are several brands but they all seem to have wierd flavoring that doesnt sit well with me. I was introduced to them when I had a serious bonk in a race a couple years back. 3 miles from the line, 90deg day, no water, I could not move. A guy gave me one and some water and inside 3 mins i could ride across the line. The EMT's on site said I was dangerously close to heatshock if that didn't happen.
Since then I have learned to use them to manage the blood glucose levels during and after events with a decent ammount of success.(Top 3s all year). I never could get used to coffee, but the choclate flavor gel has caffine in it, and tastes like brownie mix.:D

I get headaches when cycling in hot weather. I find a stong cup of coffer prior to the ride helps a lot. If I have a headache after riding (or anytime) I use Excedrine Migrain (caffene-based) and I can usually beat the headache.

Remember to drink lots of water when using coffee like this!!

This may not be all that related, but I find that I get a bad headache once in a while during my rides. Almost always, it has to do with the placement of the helmet straps underneath the plastic "cage" parts behind my ears or my sunglasses arms' behind my ears. Its very strange to me, but simply taking off my glasses for a few minutes works wonders for me, and then readjusting the helmet if necessary too.

Be careful with the addition of caffeine--it can cause heart palpitations, which can be harmful to you. That said, I've always been a strong proponent of the stuff--whether in the form of diet coke (my favorite mid-ride rest stop beverage) or coffee (my favorite morning/before ride beverage). For those that aren't used to it though, like I said, it can cause problems.

martin_j001 said:
This may not be all that related, but I find that I get a bad headache once in a while during my rides. Almost always, it has to do with the placement of the helmet straps underneath the plastic "cage" parts behind my ears or my sunglasses arms' behind my ears. Its very strange to me, but simply taking off my glasses for a few minutes works wonders for me, and then readjusting the helmet if necessary too.

Be careful with the addition of caffeine--it can cause heart palpitations, which can be harmful to you. That said, I've always been a strong proponent of the stuff--whether in the form of diet coke (my favorite mid-ride rest stop beverage) or coffee (my favorite morning/before ride beverage). For those that aren't used to it though, like I said, it can cause problems.
Interesting observation on the straps. I will keep that in mind next time I get a headache.

I would have to agree with the caffeine comment. If you don't use it alot, be careful that you work it in slowly.

I have been using the coffee before and during a ride for 3 weeks, that along with a "sublingual b complex" which i take just before i go out, seems to help alot, I still over-heat and get a small headache, but recovery time is much quicker. So far i have not had side effects with the caffeine. I used to take exedrine but it started to give me colic same thing i get with aspirin. Thanks for the advise on the straps but this is a life long thing, as i have been only cycling for just over a year i know its not relaited to that. There was a guy from brit that had a post very similar to mine, so maybe we just cant take the heat. I seem to be heading in the right direction though. Thanks for the advise.

helicopter said:
I have been using the coffee before and during a ride for 3 weeks, that along with a "sublingual b complex" which i take just before i go out, seems to help alot, I still over-heat and get a small headache, but recovery time is much quicker. So far i have not had side effects with the caffeine. I used to take exedrine but it started to give me colic same thing i get with aspirin. Thanks for the advise on the straps but this is a life long thing, as i have been only cycling for just over a year i know its not relaited to that. There was a guy from brit that had a post very similar to mine, so maybe we just cant take the heat. I seem to be heading in the right direction though. Thanks for the advise.
Was it "Excedrine" or "Excedrine Migraine" that you took and had problems with?

Conniebiker said:
I get the headache always after races.... in my view it has to be blood-glucose deficiency related since there was no caffine factor.

I also get headache after my races when i really gave it all. Always had to take some aspirin afterwards. But i don't like to do that. I will try your experiment with glucose before/during the race (looks promising). Hope this will help me to.