    http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/11053083p-11811150c.html

    When you watch remodels on HGTV and see all Hispanic work crews, you
    know they're moving into new occupations and I say: "Good for them!"
    Now the welfare whiners who complained they took away "american" jobs"
    as field workers can backfill what they've left open.

    Tags:

  2. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-09-21, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > When you watch remodels on HGTV and see all Hispanic work crews, you
    > know they're moving into new occupations and I say: "Good for them!"

    If seeing it on HGTV is truly your first clue, I'll take pity and not
    jump dead square in your shit.

    nb

  3. sf

    sf Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:16:25 -0500, notbob wrote:

    > On 2005-09-21, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > When you watch remodels on HGTV and see all Hispanic work crews, you
    > > know they're moving into new occupations and I say: "Good for them!"

    > If seeing it on HGTV is truly your first clue, I'll take pity and not
    > jump dead square in your shit.
    >
    > nb

    What on earth is your point?

  4. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-09-21, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What on earth is your point?

    If you are just now getting around to noticing illegal aliens are
    taking American's jobs, you've been braindead for the last 5 decades.

    nb

  5. Ken Davey

    Ken Davey Guest

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2005-09-21, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> What on earth is your point?

    > If you are just now getting around to noticing illegal aliens are
    > taking American's jobs, you've been braindead for the last 5 decades.
    >
    > nb

    And just where did you get the 'illegal aliens' from??
    The term was "migrant workers".
    Your xenophobia is showing.

    Ken.

  6. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-09-21, Ken Davey <[email protected]> wrote:

    > And just where did you get the 'illegal aliens' from??
    > The term was "migrant workers".
    > Your xenophobia is showing.

    .....and migrant implies they will move on after working. So far,
    there's about 13 million who are still here ...illegally.

    nb

  7. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-09-21, Ken Davey <[email protected]> wrote:

    > And just where did you get the 'illegal aliens' from??
    > The term was "migrant workers".
    > Your xenophobia is showing.

    .....and migrant implies they will move on after working. So far,
    there's about 13 million who are still here ...illegally.

    nb

  8. Faux_Pseudo

    Faux_Pseudo Guest

    _.-In rec.food.cooking, Ken Davey wrote the following -._
    > And just where did you get the 'illegal aliens' from??
    > The term was "migrant workers".
    > Your xenophobia is showing.

    Most of them are illegal, migrant is a politically correct phrase
    adopted based on a bent view of history. Here you can see a satirical
    example of this I wrote up a little while ago:
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/faux_pseudo/26431.html

    It isn't xenophobia to say illegals are taking American jobs. That is
    a fact. Xenophobia would be saying that illegals shouldn't be taking
    our jobs. Or that we should protect American jobs from illegals,
    although it can be argued that every one is a xenophobe based on the idea
    that no one wants 'them' taking what is 'ours' since any nation who
    has thought otherwise is no longer with us.

    I do have to agree with notbob in one area, anyone who has just
    noticed that the vast amount of construction work in this country is
    done by non-native, non-English speaking, workers primarily from South
    of the Boarder has not been paying attention.

    The growing fields of California are having a problem getting enough
    /illegal/ workers to pick the crops because most of the men have found
    that construction work is easier and pays three to four times as much.

    In many parts of this country there are places where you can find a
    group of 40 or so /illegal/ men gathered around some popular
    intersection where construction workers and contractors will drive up
    and pick out how ever many people they need for the day. My first
    experiences with this was back in the late 80's in San Diego and I
    heard a report about this kind of thing becoming a problem in North
    Carolina and even up past the Mason Dixon Line. By problem I don't
    mean "oh no, we have illegals", I mean "We got rid of people looking
    for work on street corners back in the 30's and back then we didn't
    have to worry about getting sued because we didn't provide them
    benches to sit on, something to protect them from the rain and a
    drinking fountain even though Federal law prohibits us from offering
    services to non-US citizens."

    You want to know how you can tell when they are illegal? When the
    Border Patrol shows up and only 3 of the 40 people who were standing
    there are still there (sometimes knocked down) just 5 seconds after
    the La Migra van rounds the corner and the other 37 people take off on
    foot running for the hills. If they get caught they will have to pay
    another $8,000 to $15,000 to get back to America.

    I have no problem with Mexicans. My girlfriend, for example, is a
    light complected one. Two girlfiends befor that I had another.
    I do have a problem with people who are in any country other than their
    own and don't have permission.

    --
    .-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
    ' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to

  9. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Faux_Pseudo" <[email protected]> wrote

    > In many parts of this country there are places where you can find a
    > group of 40 or so /illegal/ men gathered around some popular
    > intersection where construction workers and contractors will drive up
    > and pick out how ever many people they need for the day.

    Yeah, they call them musters here. I don't know what prompted
    the police to start harassing them in the last couple of years, someone
    was complaining. They, whoever they is, wound up setting up a
    permanent zone in conjunction with an adjacent church. Haven't
    heard anything about it since.

    nancy

  10. JimLane

    JimLane Guest

    Ken Davey wrote:
    > notbob wrote:
    >
    >>On 2005-09-21, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>What on earth is your point?

    >>If you are just now getting around to noticing illegal aliens are
    >>taking American's jobs, you've been braindead for the last 5 decades.
    >>
    >>nb

    > And just where did you get the 'illegal aliens' from??
    > The term was "migrant workers".
    > Your xenophobia is showing.
    >
    > Ken.

    You're being polite. I'd have called him a bigot. Migrants workers
    follow the crops in this case, not staying in one location. While most
    are probably illegal, not all are.

    jim

  11. JimLane

    JimLane Guest

    Faux_Pseudo wrote:
    > _.-In rec.food.cooking, Ken Davey wrote the following -._
    >
    >>And just where did you get the 'illegal aliens' from??
    >>The term was "migrant workers".
    >>Your xenophobia is showing.

    > Most of them are illegal, migrant is a politically correct phrase
    > adopted based on a bent view of history. Here you can see a satirical
    > example of this I wrote up a little while ago:
    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/faux_pseudo/26431.html

    You may be right, but to typify "migrants" as "illegal aliens" reeks of
    bigotry to me. You are incorrect about the use of migrant as being a pc
    term. It was used far before there was an illegal problem in the US.
    There are uses of the word as far back as the 1920s that I know of and
    I'm not bothering to go back any before that because at that time,
    Mexicans nor Canadians had to carry any papers at all to enter the US.
    There was no illegal alien problem of significance until that late 60s
    when the US terminated the Bracero program that allowed these workers
    seasonal entrance to the US to follow the crops. Once that program was
    terminated, illegal entry began becoming a real problem.

    Fittingly, one can point their finger at Cesar Chavez and the UFW as
    being the reason this illegal alien problem occurred as they
    instrumental in getting the bracero program terminated. They not only
    were prime architects of this, they also failed in protecting the very
    jobs they were concerned about.

    jim

  12. JimLane

    JimLane Guest

    Faux_Pseudo wrote:
    > _.-In rec.food.cooking, Ken Davey wrote the following -._
    >
    >>And just where did you get the 'illegal aliens' from??
    >>The term was "migrant workers".
    >>Your xenophobia is showing.

    > Most of them are illegal, migrant is a politically correct phrase
    > adopted based on a bent view of history. Here you can see a satirical
    > example of this I wrote up a little while ago:
    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/faux_pseudo/26431.html

    You may be right, but to typify "migrants" as "illegal aliens" reeks of
    bigotry to me. You are incorrect about the use of migrant as being a pc
    term. It was used far before there was an illegal problem in the US.
    There are uses of the word as far back as the 1920s that I know of and
    I'm not bothering to go back any before that because at that time,
    Mexicans nor Canadians had to carry any papers at all to enter the US.
    There was no illegal alien problem of significance until that late 60s
    when the US terminated the Bracero program that allowed these workers
    seasonal entrance to the US to follow the crops. Once that program was
    terminated, illegal entry began becoming a real problem.

    Fittingly, one can point their finger at Cesar Chavez and the UFW as
    being the reason this illegal alien problem occurred as they
    instrumental in getting the bracero program terminated. They not only
    were prime architects of this, they also failed in protecting the very
    jobs they were concerned about.

    jim

  13. Andy Katz

    Andy Katz Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:35:29 GMT, Faux_Pseudo <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >_.-In rec.food.cooking, Ken Davey wrote the following -._
    >> And just where did you get the 'illegal aliens' from??
    >> The term was "migrant workers".
    >> Your xenophobia is showing.

    >Most of them are illegal, migrant is a politically correct phrase
    >adopted based on a bent view of history. Here you can see a satirical
    >example of this I wrote up a little while ago:
    >http://www.livejournal.com/users/faux_pseudo/26431.html
    >
    >It isn't xenophobia to say illegals are taking American jobs. That is
    >a fact. Xenophobia would be saying that illegals shouldn't be taking
    >our jobs. Or that we should protect American jobs from illegals,
    >although it can be argued that every one is a xenophobe based on the idea
    >that no one wants 'them' taking what is 'ours' since any nation who
    >has thought otherwise is no longer with us.
    >
    >I do have to agree with notbob in one area, anyone who has just
    >noticed that the vast amount of construction work in this country is
    >done by non-native, non-English speaking, workers primarily from South
    >of the Boarder has not been paying attention.

    Look at what you're saying here: non-native, non-English speaking +
    south of the border = illegal.

    The guys in my kitchen are all Mexican. They're all legal. Though, to
    be honest, if you want to bus tables, wash dishes and hump prep for
    six and change come by and drop a res ... we'll talk;-)

    >The growing fields of California are having a problem getting enough
    >/illegal/ workers to pick the crops because most of the men have found
    >that construction work is easier and pays three to four times as much.
    >
    >In many parts of this country there are places where you can find a
    >group of 40 or so /illegal/ men gathered around some popular
    >intersection where construction workers and contractors will drive up
    >and pick out how ever many people they need for the day. My first
    >experiences with this was back in the late 80's in San Diego and I
    >heard a report about this kind of thing becoming a problem in North
    >Carolina and even up past the Mason Dixon Line. By problem I don't
    >mean "oh no, we have illegals", I mean "We got rid of people looking
    >for work on street corners back in the 30's and back then we didn't
    >have to worry about getting sued because we didn't provide them
    >benches to sit on, something to protect them from the rain and a
    >drinking fountain even though Federal law prohibits us from offering
    >services to non-US citizens."
    >
    >You want to know how you can tell when they are illegal? When the
    >Border Patrol shows up and only 3 of the 40 people who were standing
    >there are still there (sometimes knocked down) just 5 seconds after
    >the La Migra van rounds the corner and the other 37 people take off on
    >foot running for the hills. If they get caught they will have to pay
    >another $8,000 to $15,000 to get back to America.
    >
    >I have no problem with Mexicans. My girlfriend, for example, is a
    >light complected one.

    Well, I'm glad to learn she has a fair complexion, else folks might
    say you're shtupping a beaner.

    Andy Katz
    Being lied to so billionaires can wage war for profits
    while indebting taxpayers for generations to come, now
    that's just a tad bit bigger than not admitting you like
    the big moist-moist lips of chunky trollops on your pecker.

    Paghat, the Rat Girl

  14. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-09-21, Faux_Pseudo <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I do have to agree with notbob in one area, anyone who has just
    > noticed that the vast amount of construction work in this country is
    > done by non-native, non-English speaking, workers primarily from South
    > of the Boarder has not been paying attention.

    This is not by accident and it's been occuring since the 50's. They've
    been let in to bust the trade unions and they've succeeded. Since
    then, providing housing, education, and medical to illegals has been
    mandated by law by the federal govt. CA tried to stop it but was
    overidden by federal courts. It's bitter irony sf should use the term
    welfare with respect to American citizens while billions of tax
    dollars are spent attracting and supporting illegals. But, it's not
    pc to call it welfare when referring to illegals, just our own
    citizens. It's bankrupting the border states and both AZ and NM have
    declared themselves to be in a "state of emergency" over the issue.

    nb

  15. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-09-21, Andy Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The guys in my kitchen are all Mexican. They're all legal. Though, to
    > be honest, if you want to bus tables, wash dishes and hump prep for
    > six and change come by and drop a res ... we'll talk;-)

    Well, that's pretty much the point now, isn't it? Why pay anyone
    $10/hr when you can get illegals for $6. No doubt if Eskimos would do
    it for $5, your kitchen would full of Eskimos, right? I don't know
    where you are, but burger flippers get $8-10 here in CA. And how do
    you know your guys are all legal? Have you seen their immagration
    papers? Have you double checked to make sure they're not forged? Are
    any of them being trained as waitstaff or apprenticed or are they just
    humps?

    nb

    >>The growing fields of California are having a problem getting enough
    >>/illegal/ workers to pick the crops because most of the men have found
    >>that construction work is easier and pays three to four times as much.
    >>
    >>In many parts of this country there are places where you can find a
    >>group of 40 or so /illegal/ men gathered around some popular
    >>intersection where construction workers and contractors will drive up
    >>and pick out how ever many people they need for the day. My first
    >>experiences with this was back in the late 80's in San Diego and I
    >>heard a report about this kind of thing becoming a problem in North
    >>Carolina and even up past the Mason Dixon Line. By problem I don't
    >>mean "oh no, we have illegals", I mean "We got rid of people looking
    >>for work on street corners back in the 30's and back then we didn't
    >>have to worry about getting sued because we didn't provide them
    >>benches to sit on, something to protect them from the rain and a
    >>drinking fountain even though Federal law prohibits us from offering
    >>services to non-US citizens."
    >>
    >>You want to know how you can tell when they are illegal? When the
    >>Border Patrol shows up and only 3 of the 40 people who were standing
    >>there are still there (sometimes knocked down) just 5 seconds after
    >>the La Migra van rounds the corner and the other 37 people take off on
    >>foot running for the hills. If they get caught they will have to pay
    >>another $8,000 to $15,000 to get back to America.
    >>
    >>I have no problem with Mexicans. My girlfriend, for example, is a
    >>light complected one.

    > Well, I'm glad to learn she has a fair complexion, else folks might
    > say you're shtupping a beaner.
    >
    > Andy Katz
    > Being lied to so billionaires can wage war for profits
    > while indebting taxpayers for generations to come, now
    > that's just a tad bit bigger than not admitting you like
    > the big moist-moist lips of chunky trollops on your pecker.
    >
    > Paghat, the Rat Girl

  16. Andy Katz

    Andy Katz Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:24:04 -0500, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2005-09-21, Andy Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The guys in my kitchen are all Mexican. They're all legal. Though, to
    >> be honest, if you want to bus tables, wash dishes and hump prep for
    >> six and change come by and drop a res ... we'll talk;-)

    >Well, that's pretty much the point now, isn't it? Why pay anyone
    >$10/hr when you can get illegals for $6. No doubt if Eskimos would do
    >it for $5, your kitchen would full of Eskimos, right? I don't know
    >where you are, but burger flippers get $8-10 here in CA. And how do
    >you know your guys are all legal? Have you seen their immagration
    >papers? Have you double checked to make sure they're not forged? Are
    >any of them being trained as waitstaff or apprenticed or are they just
    >humps?

    Apples & oranges, NB.

    The lower rungs of two/three star NYC cooking usually pay less than
    fast food.

    See, it's a goshdarn privilege to work alongside these
    twenty-something CIA grads or fortyish refugees from Lyon.

    Andy Katz
    Being lied to so billionaires can wage war for profits
    while indebting taxpayers for generations to come, now
    that's just a tad bit bigger than not admitting you like
    the big moist-moist lips of chunky trollops on your pecker.

    Paghat, the Rat Girl

  17. William Boyd

    William Boyd Guest

    JimLane wrote:

    > Ken Davey wrote:
    >
    >> notbob wrote:

    >>> If you are just now getting around to noticing illegal aliens are
    >>> taking American's jobs, you've been braindead for the last 5 decades.
    >>>
    >>> nb

    >> And just where did you get the 'illegal aliens' from??
    >> The term was "migrant workers".
    >> Your xenophobia is showing.
    >>
    >> Ken.
    >>

    > You're being polite. I'd have called him a bigot. Migrants workers
    > follow the crops in this case, not staying in one location. While most
    > are probably illegal, not all are.
    >

    > jim

    Well the only thing I know that is worse than a legal illegal is
    when you down the shot of Tequila and lick the salt first before
    chomping on the lime, makes you wonder if that is the way it should
    have been, naw not at all.

    --
    BILL P.
    Just Dog

  18. JimLane

    JimLane Guest

    notbob wrote conspiracy theories:

    Not to worry nb, they are out to get you.

    jim

  19. JimLane

    JimLane Guest

    William Boyd wrote:
    > JimLane wrote:
    >
    >> Ken Davey wrote:

    >>> And just where did you get the 'illegal aliens' from??
    >>> The term was "migrant workers".
    >>> Your xenophobia is showing.
    >>>
    >>> Ken.
    >>>

    >> You're being polite. I'd have called him a bigot. Migrants workers
    >> follow the crops in this case, not staying in one location. While most
    >> are probably illegal, not all are.
    >>

    >> jim

    > Well the only thing I know that is worse than a legal illegal is when
    > you down the shot of Tequila and lick the salt first before chomping on
    > the lime, makes you wonder if that is the way it should have been, naw
    > not at all.

    The tequila I "drink" slides down just fine without either salt or lime.
    If I am drinking tequila, I sip on aƱejos.

    jim

  20. SD

    SD Guest

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2005-09-21, Ken Davey <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > And just where did you get the 'illegal aliens' from??
    > > The term was "migrant workers".
    > > Your xenophobia is showing.

    > ....and migrant implies they will move on after working. So far,
    > there's about 13 million who are still here ...illegally.
    >
    > nb

    Migrant doesn't mean illegal though. Migrant workers move from area to
    area with each harvest season. I know LEGAL migrant workers who have
    their permanent homes in WA state and migrate with the crops. They
    always come back to the little burg I moved from in time for the
    seasonal hiring of Christmas tree cutters/Christmas wreath makers -
    another migrant worker occupation.

    SD