Mike Tomalaris is an idiot

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by DaveB, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Ok, probably not news to a lot of people, but he has a brief interview
    in the TV section of the Herald Sun today.

    Q. Should bikes be registered?

    MT - Of course they should. It may stop cyclists from copping verbal
    abuse from passing motorists.

    Sigh.

    DaveB

    Tags:

  2. Elmo

    Elmo Guest

    DaveB wrote:
    > Ok, probably not news to a lot of people, but he has a brief interview
    > in the TV section of the Herald Sun today.
    >
    > Q. Should bikes be registered?
    >
    > MT - Of course they should. It may stop cyclists from copping verbal
    > abuse from passing motorists.
    >
    > Sigh.
    >
    > DaveB

    He may have an opinion that you disagree with but it's no reason to call
    him an idiot.
    Do we call you an idiot based on your opinions?

  3. treadly&me

    treadly&me New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2006
    Yep, Tool of the Week.

    Thanks for nothing Mike.

  4. Terryc

    Terryc Guest

    Elmo wrote:
    > DaveB wrote:

    > He may have an opinion that you disagree with but it's no reason to call
    > him an idiot.
    > Do we call you an idiot based on your opinions?

    Well at least DaveB is an idiot that keeps his mouth shut during the
    TdF and doesn't confirm his idiot status.

  5. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    Yes it is

  6. percrime

    percrime Guest

    Jono L wrote:
    > Elmo Wrote:
    >> He may have an opinion that you disagree with but it's no reason to
    >> call
    >> him an idiot.
    >>

    > Yes it is

    Well lets put it to a vote. I make it 4 that think he is an idiot so
    far.

    And Elmo dissents

  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    I don't. Does another vote from the lounge bring it to six for the affirmative?

  8. Elmo

    Elmo Guest

    percrime wrote:
    > Jono L wrote:
    >> Elmo Wrote:
    >>> He may have an opinion that you disagree with but it's no reason to
    >>> call
    >>> him an idiot.
    >>>

    >> Yes it is
    >>

    > Well lets put it to a vote. I make it 4 that think he is an idiot so far.
    >
    > And Elmo dissents

    Well it's one thing to think he's an idiot an another to call him an
    idiot publicly. Mike has done a lot of work to bring cycling to us,
    especially the Tour de France, and usually when a person gets a lot of
    negative feedback they stop what they're doing, and I'd really hate to
    see someone like Mike stop doing his good work.
    Mike has my full support.

    Elmo

  9. jur

    jur New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    "Some people are idiots all the time, and all people are idiots sometimes." - jur

    Therefore Mike is an idiot. If not all the time then at least that time.

  10. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    percrime wrote:
    > Jono L wrote:
    >> Elmo Wrote:
    >>> He may have an opinion that you disagree with but it's no reason to
    >>> call
    >>> him an idiot.
    >>>

    >> Yes it is

    > Well lets put it to a vote. I make it 4 that think he is an idiot so
    > far.

    You can vote people to be idiots?

    Theo

  11. brucef

    brucef Guest

    On Jan 17, 6:42 am, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > You can vote people to be idiots?

    Yep. You're next.

  12. treadly&me

    treadly&me New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2006
    Quite. He has earned the right to comment, but that doesn't mean his comments aren't up for critique. And in this case he is dead wrong: bike registration would do exactly nothing to reduce verbal (or indeed physical) abuse directed towards cyclists. His profile makes such a misguided statement all the more harmful: no one gives a pinch of bat poo about what I say, but because he's a celebrity in the meedya he's seen as an authority. He may well be an authority, I really don't know, but it doesn't make him any less wrong.

    And do you seriously think that Mike will throw in the annual junket to France just because a handful of plonkers on usenet reckon he's an idiot? You overvalue our influence, I think.

    (BTW, can I be the next on the vote-for-an-idiot list after Theo?)

  13. In aus.bicycle on Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:39:14 +1100
    treadly&amp me <[email protected]> wrote:

    > comments aren't up for critique. And in this case he is dead wrong: bike
    > registration would do exactly *nothing *to reduce verbal (or indeed
    > physical) abuse directed towards cyclists. His profile makes such a

    I think you are right, but I wonder what would?

    Why does the abuse happen? AS it hasn't happened to me (I get a fair
    bit of "cool bike" and jokes about "stop lying down on the job" but no
    abuse that I have been able to decipher. It's possible some of the
    inarticulate noises have been abusive but they were smiling and waving
    so maybe not) I have no personal experience of the situation.

    Are they doing it because cyclists are there? The way dogs bark at
    motorcyclists? Because young men (I have the impression it's young
    men, is it always?) go through a phase of needing to prove to
    themselves they are powerful?

    Are they doing it because they know the roads are crap, but can't work
    out why, and so are just lashing out?

    We need a couple of PhD students....

    Zebee

  14. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Zebee Johnstone wrote:
    > In aus.bicycle on Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:39:14 +1100
    > treadly&amp me <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> comments aren't up for critique. And in this case he is dead wrong: bike
    >> registration would do exactly *nothing *to reduce verbal (or indeed
    >> physical) abuse directed towards cyclists. His profile makes such a

    > I think you are right, but I wonder what would?
    >
    > Why does the abuse happen? AS it hasn't happened to me (I get a fair
    > bit of "cool bike" and jokes about "stop lying down on the job" but no
    > abuse that I have been able to decipher. It's possible some of the
    > inarticulate noises have been abusive but they were smiling and waving
    > so maybe not) I have no personal experience of the situation.

    Zebee I think it's a combination of two things. First is that we are
    there, can be abused, and the abuser can then take off. Second is the
    perception that because a bike can be more efficient in traffic, it is
    therefore slowing the car down.

    The second point would also apply to motorbikes, but in my experience
    abuse is very rare because most motorists would be very aware of the
    potential results. They fear a motorcyclist, but they don't fear a
    cyclist (or at least think they can take off).

    DaveB

  15. Donga

    Donga Guest

    On Jan 17, 3:09 pm, DaveB <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Zebee Johnstone wrote:
    > > Why does the abuse happen? AS it hasn't happened to me (I get a fair
    > > bit of "cool bike" and jokes about "stop lying down on the job" but no
    > > abuse that I have been able to decipher. It's possible some of the
    > > inarticulate noises have been abusive but they were smiling and waving
    > > so maybe not) I have no personal experience of the situation.

    > Zebee I think it's a combination of two things. First is that we are
    > there, can be abused, and the abuser can then take off. Second is the
    > perception that because a bike can be more efficient in traffic, it is
    > therefore slowing the car down.

    Third is because the abusing drivers are idiots (to coin a phrase).
    Did you know that the new Prado is bigger than before? Why a landbarge
    needs to grow is a mystery to me, but that's beside the point that
    these donkeys are driving cars that are too big to fit in the lane,
    and that's the cyclist's fault, innit? And the ones driving a car that
    does fit, how often do they hang back, because they can't judge
    distances and see there is plenty of room to pass ... once again the
    cyclist's fault.

    Donga

  16. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    me wrote:
    > Elmo Wrote:
    >> Mike has done a lot of work to bring cycling to us,
    >> especially the Tour de France, and usually when a person gets a lot
    >> of negative feedback they stop what they're doing, and I'd really
    >> hate to see someone like Mike stop doing his good work.
    >> Mike has my full support.

    > Quite. He has earned the right to comment, but that doesn't mean his
    > comments aren't up for critique. And in this case he is dead wrong:
    > bike registration would do exactly *nothing *to reduce verbal (or
    > indeed physical) abuse directed towards cyclists.

    What will?

    > (BTW, can I be the next on the vote-for-an-idiot list after Theo?)

    The queue is growing behind you.

    Theo

  17. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    I thought he was an idiot before he opened his mouth about this and one other thing, can some one explain or put in point form exactly what he has done for cycling in Australia or to bring the Tour De France to Australia.

    I think SBS would be after it, even if it wasn't for Mike, it fits right in with their programming model, he gets paid to be a commentator and if someone asks him a question like that he should either "shut up" or give a considered reasonable answer.

  18. In aus.bicycle on Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:09:00 +1100
    DaveB <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Zebee I think it's a combination of two things. First is that we are
    > there, can be abused, and the abuser can then take off. Second is the
    > perception that because a bike can be more efficient in traffic, it is
    > therefore slowing the car down.

    I'd be wary of that last statement....

    The "can be more efficient" is nothing to do with "slowing down".

    Because there is no doubt whatsoever that a bike can slow a car down,
    given the right circumstances and behaviour. That it won't in other
    circumstances isn't relevant to that.

    Zebee

  19. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    DaveB wrote:
    > Zebee Johnstone wrote:

    >> Why does the abuse happen? AS it hasn't happened to me (I get a fair
    >> bit of "cool bike" and jokes about "stop lying down on the job" but
    >> no abuse that I have been able to decipher. It's possible some of
    >> the inarticulate noises have been abusive but they were smiling and
    >> waving so maybe not) I have no personal experience of the situation.

    > Zebee I think it's a combination of two things. First is that we are
    > there, can be abused, and the abuser can then take off. Second is the
    > perception that because a bike can be more efficient in traffic, it is
    > therefore slowing the car down.
    >
    > The second point would also apply to motorbikes, but in my experience
    > abuse is very rare because most motorists would be very aware of the
    > potential results. They fear a motorcyclist, but they don't fear a
    > cyclist (or at least think they can take off).

    So what is the experience of the 50cc engined-can't-do-more-than-60 scooter
    brigade. Do they get harassed by motorists?

    Theo
    I've been on runs with motorcyclists who wear black jackets and black
    helmets. The ones that know how to spell harass think it's two words.
    They've never experienced the -ment kind of harass.

  20. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    can we put tomalaris on 'the pine' with Gaby Gate

    personally i'd like to see Monsieur Ollie do the TdF coverage, but then people would miss out on doing his rides (another one to add to the personal 'must-do-in-lifetime-tasks...)