Mike V. and Terri Have Finally Convinced Me...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Sean S, Apr 7, 2003.

  1. Sean S

    Sean S Guest

    Hello group,

    After several months' worth of reading Mike V's and Terri Avillar's points of view, I have to say
    that they finally convinced me...

    They've convinced me that pseudo-environmental whack jobs pose a real threat toward access of the
    trails we use as mountain bikers.

    Today, I finally decided to take action and have joined not only the IMBA, but a local mountain bike
    club as well.

    Mikey and Terri can rant and rave here all they want, but I've finally decided to put my money where
    my mouth is, and send some money to the folks who can make a real difference in the mountain biking
    community.

    To take it one step further... I've also gone to my LBS and put down a deposit on a 2003 Gary Fisher
    Sugar 2+ Disc. A new bike was one of the things I had been considering spending part of my tax
    refund on, and they've finally convinced me the time was right to upgrade. I'm giving my old ride,
    which was basically one step above a department store bike, to a family member who has expressed a
    mild interest in the sport. He's already asked if the rack on my car is capable of carrying two
    bikes, and where I go riding.

    With any luck, the sport will have found yet another active participant.

    So... take a bow Mikey and Terri, not only are your rants directly responsible for increased
    memebership in two mountain bike advocacy groups, but they've just sold a $2K+ bike and got someone
    else started in the sport.

    I know you'll both be proud... ;-)

    Tags:

  2. Paul Westall

    Paul Westall Guest

    "Sean S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello group,
    >
    > After several months' worth of reading Mike V's and Terri Avillar's points
    of
    > view, I have to say that they finally convinced me...
    >
    > They've convinced me that pseudo-environmental whack jobs pose a real
    threat
    > toward access of the trails we use as mountain bikers.
    >
    > Today, I finally decided to take action and have joined not only the IMBA,
    but
    > a local mountain bike club as well.
    >
    > Mikey and Terri can rant and rave here all they want, but I've finally
    decided
    > to put my money where my mouth is, and send some money to the folks who
    can
    > make a real difference in the mountain biking community.
    >
    > To take it one step further... I've also gone to my LBS and put down a
    deposit
    > on a 2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 2+ Disc. A new bike was one of the things I
    had
    > been considering spending part of my tax refund on, and they've finally convinced me the time was
    > right to upgrade. I'm giving my old ride, which
    was
    > basically one step above a department store bike, to a family member who
    has
    > expressed a mild interest in the sport. He's already asked if the rack on
    my
    > car is capable of carrying two bikes, and where I go riding.
    >
    > With any luck, the sport will have found yet another active participant.
    >
    > So... take a bow Mikey and Terri, not only are your rants directly
    responsible
    > for increased memebership in two mountain bike advocacy groups, but
    they've
    > just sold a $2K+ bike and got someone else started in the sport.
    >
    > I know you'll both be proud... ;-)

    I'm with you on this one Sean. I never realized this sort of anti MTB nuts were out there. I will be
    joining IMBA as well after reading some of their posts. Also, while I won't be getting a new MTB
    myself :-( I am buying one for my daughter. She will now be on the trails as soon as they dry up-
    hopefully by spring break. Paul

  3. Sean S

    Sean S Guest

    >From: "Paul Westall"

    >I'm with you on this one Sean. I never realized this sort of anti MTB nuts were out there. I will
    >be joining IMBA as well after reading some of their posts. Also, while I won't be getting a new MTB
    >myself :-( I am buying one for my daughter. She will now be on the trails as soon as they dry up-
    >hopefully by spring break.

    I'm hoping the trails around here dry up by June! We got six inches of snow Monday, and it rained
    Tuesday. Now... on Wednesday... more rain, with even more forecast for Thursday and Friday! The only
    consolation is that the new bike isn't in yet... hopefully the weather will cooperate then...

  4. Dave Jackson

    Dave Jackson Guest

    >From: "Paul Westall"

    >I'm with you on this one Sean. I never realized this sort of anti MTB
    nuts
    >were out there. I will be joining IMBA as well after reading some of
    their
    >posts. Also, while I won't be getting a new MTB myself :-( I am
    buying
    >one for my daughter. She will now be on the trails as soon as they dry
    up-
    >hopefully by spring break.

    Here is the address:

    http://www.imba.com/

    Dave in Minnesota

  5. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Sean S) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > They've convinced me that pseudo-environmental whack jobs pose a real threat toward access of the
    > trails we use as mountain bikers.

    Has anyone ever called you an idiot?

    JD consider it done

  6. [email protected] (Sean S) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello group,
    >
    > After several months' worth of reading Mike V's and Terri Avillar's points of view, I have to say
    > that they finally convinced me...
    >
    > They've convinced me that pseudo-environmental whack jobs pose a real threat toward access of the
    > trails we use as mountain bikers.
    >
    > Today, I finally decided to take action and have joined not only the IMBA, but a local mountain
    > bike club as well.
    >
    > Mikey and Terri can rant and rave here all they want, but I've finally decided to put my money
    > where my mouth is, and send some money to the folks who can make a real difference in the mountain
    > biking community.
    >
    > To take it one step further... I've also gone to my LBS and put down a deposit on a 2003 Gary
    > Fisher Sugar 2+ Disc. A new bike was one of the things I had been considering spending part of my
    > tax refund on, and they've finally convinced me the time was right to upgrade. I'm giving my old
    > ride, which was basically one step above a department store bike, to a family member who has
    > expressed a mild interest in the sport. He's already asked if the rack on my car is capable of
    > carrying two bikes, and where I go riding.
    >
    > With any luck, the sport will have found yet another active participant.
    >
    > So... take a bow Mikey and Terri, not only are your rants directly responsible for increased
    > memebership in two mountain bike advocacy groups, but they've just sold a $2K+ bike and got
    > someone else started in the sport.
    >
    > I know you'll both be proud... ;-)

    Even Gary Fisher admitted that shared use of trails are successful when admitting mountain bikes IS
    A MYTH. That is supported by case law and thousands of recorded experiences. Terri Alvillar

  7. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Even Gary Fisher admitted that shared use of trails are successful when admitting mountain bikes
    > IS A MYTH.

    Come back when you learn how to write coherent sentences.

    Bill "use are successful is a myth...wtf?!??!?!??!?" S.

  8. "Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Sean S) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Even Gary Fisher admitted that shared use of trails are successful when admitting mountain bikes
    > IS A MYTH. That is supported by case law and thousands of recorded experiences. Terri Alvillar

    That means nothing, I don't imagine much of anything is shared well in you area. Bikes, horses and
    hikers get along just fine here in SW Colorado. By Mr. Vs definition, you just lied! But I will
    assume you just think there are no other hike/bike trails in the country other than where you live,
    so I guess you are simply ignorant.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

  9. "Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Sean S) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Even Gary Fisher admitted that shared use of trails are successful when admitting mountain bikes
    > IS A MYTH. That is supported by case law and thousands of recorded experiences. Terri Alvillar

    Just where specifically are these "recorded experiences" located.

    Probably deep within your mind.....

    Better start taking you meds or the loser patrol will be knocking at your door!

    POAD-

    mj

  10. > "Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > [email protected] (Sean S) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >

    > > Even Gary Fisher admitted that shared use of trails are successful when admitting mountain bikes
    > > IS A MYTH. That is supported by case law and thousands of recorded experiences. Terri Alvillar

    Rode up horse gulch today, beautiful day, saw no other riders in the short hour I was out. I did
    pass 3 sets of hikers, 2 younger gals (they are all younger compared to me), an older couple, and a
    lone woman jogging. Except for the jogger with her headphones, we all had nice little conversations
    regarding the change in weather this week. And even the jogger and I said hi. I don't have thousands
    of recorded experiences (I believe that is an exageration), but that is a common experience for me
    when I am on my bike or am the hiker. So are you a liar? I don't think so, not intentionally, but I
    think you are very unfair with your generalizations. You are heading in the direction of being
    labeled as Mrs. V., is that really what you want?
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

  11. "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Even Gary Fisher admitted that shared use of trails are successful when admitting mountain bikes
    > > IS A MYTH.
    >
    > Come back when you learn how to write coherent sentences.
    >
    > Bill "use are successful is a myth...wtf?!??!?!??!?" S.

    You're right - bad sentence. Let me try again. Gary Fisher admitted it is a myth that shared use of
    trails (i.e. singletrack) is successful when mountain bikes are included. Terri Alvillar

  12. Sean S

    Sean S Guest

    >From: [email protected] (JD)

    >Has anyone ever called you an idiot?
    >
    >JD consider it done

    Ooooohhh... I'm so insulted.

    And to answer your question... yes, far greater people have... which makes me only laugh at posts
    like yours... ;-)

  13. On 9 Apr 2003 20:18:43 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

    [email protected] (Sean S) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... .> They've convinced me that
    pseudo-environmental whack jobs pose a real threat .> toward access of the trails we use as mountain
    bikers. . .Has anyone ever called you an idiot? . .JD consider it done

    It runs in the family. The mountain biker family.
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  14. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Sean S) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >From: [email protected] (JD)
    >
    > >Has anyone ever called you an idiot?
    > >
    > >JD consider it done
    >
    > Ooooohhh... I'm so insulted.
    >
    > And to answer your question... yes, far greater people have... which makes me only laugh at posts
    > like yours... ;-)

    That's funny, especially since your posts have the weight of a popcorn fart. You don't count.

    JD

  15. On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:34:14 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ."Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    .news:[email protected]... .> [email protected] (Sean S) wrote
    in message .news:<[email protected]>... .> Even Gary Fisher admitted that
    shared use of trails are successful .> when admitting mountain bikes IS A MYTH. That is supported by
    case .> law and thousands of recorded experiences. .> Terri Alvillar . .That means nothing, I don't
    imagine much of anything is shared well in you .area. .Bikes, horses and hikers get along just fine
    here in SW Colorado.

    I would guess that non-mountain bikers would assess the situation differently....

  16. On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 23:49:37 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    .> "Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message .>
    news:[email protected]... .> > [email protected] (Sean S) wrote
    in message .> news:<[email protected]>... .> > .> > .> > .> > Even Gary
    Fisher admitted that shared use of trails are successful .> > when admitting mountain bikes IS A
    MYTH. That is supported by case .> > law and thousands of recorded experiences. .> > Terri Alvillar
    .> . .Rode up horse gulch today, beautiful day, saw no other riders in the short .hour I was out. I
    did pass 3 sets of hikers, 2 younger gals (they are all .younger compared to me), an older couple,
    and a lone woman jogging. Except .for the jogger with her headphones, we all had nice little
    conversations .regarding the change in weather this week. And even the jogger and I said .hi.

    And just what do you think that that proved? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, as far as I can see.

    .I don't have thousands of recorded experiences (I believe that is an .exageration), but that is a
    common experience for me when I am on my bike or .am the hiker. .So are you a liar? I don't think
    so, not intentionally, but I think you are .very unfair with your generalizations. .You are heading
    in the direction of being labeled as Mrs. V., is that really .what you want?

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  17. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (popcorn fart) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >From: [email protected] (JD)
    >
    > >That's funny, especially since your posts have the weight of a popcorn fart. You don't count.
    > >

    > Still better than leading such a pathetic life that one has to spend most of their free time on
    > this newsgroup insulting people.

    Yeah Dr. Dimestore, my life sucks and all I ever do is sit behind a keyboard in my free time. I live
    in the middle of a megalopolis that has no trails, ride a Huffy on sidewalks for kicks, and have the
    nerve to call myself a mountain biker.

    > But, if running your mouth from behind the safety of a keyboard makes you feel less like a loser,
    > I suppose it's the only thing that will compensate for your own lack of self esteem...

    I have a huge 4x4 pickup truck that compensates very well, thank you
    Dr. Dimestore.

    Idiots come here and post troll bullshit to the two pathetic anti-mountain bikers and then get all
    pissy when someone who has seen all kinds of lameo trollbait popcorn fart posts tells them that they
    are in fact, an idiot. Get over it, then just shut the hell up and ride. That is if you even ride a
    bicycle, Sigmund Fraud.

    JD

  18. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Sean S wrote:>
    > Sure do... picked up the new bike from my LBS today. Since it has finally stopped raining, and is
    > supposed to be sunny with temps in the high 60's/low 70's for the next few days (as opposed to
    > the snow/rain and 30's/40's we've had all week), shutting up and riding is exactly what I intend
    > to do...

    how about a ride report then.

    penny

  19. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Sean S) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >From: [email protected] (JD)
    >
    > >Yeah Dr. Dimestore, my life sucks and all I ever do is sit behind a keyboard in my free time. I
    > >live in the middle of a megalopolis that has no trails, ride a Huffy on sidewalks for kicks, and
    > >have the nerve to call myself a mountain biker.
    >
    > I figured you more as a Radio Flyer type. Oh well, my bad.

    Actually, it's not a Huffy per se, but is a 1930's model Dayton made by Huffman at the good 'ol
    Davis Sewing Machine factory.

    > Sure do... picked up the new bike from my LBS today. Since it has finally stopped raining, and is
    > supposed to be sunny with temps in the high 60's/low 70's for the next few days (as opposed to
    > the snow/rain and 30's/40's we've had all week), shutting up and riding is exactly what I intend
    > to do...

    If it's a kona, it'll break.

    JD

  20. Penny S.