Mike Vandeman - done any good?

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:14:43 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:46:34 GMT, "Michael
Paul" <[email protected]> wrote: .> .<snip> . .> IS there a "real expert" around here? I doubt it. I
have read what those .> so-called "experts" write, and it's all junk science. ALL of it. After .all,
.> mountain bikers are the ONLY people motivated to rationalize mountain .biking. . .Case in point.
Others disagree with your views so their expert opinions .become pure junk science (as opposed to
your totally unscientific opinions .and views).

They aren't junk science because I disagree with them. They are junk science because they are junk
science. DUH!

Although your use of circular logic to rationalize your own .points never ceases to amaze me.
You're good at reciting retoric but none .of your arguments are based on any scientific knowledge.
They're all merely .your opinion. . .Taken from this link:
.http://www.imaja.com/change/environment/mvarticles/DogsInWaterfrontPark.html . .First he says
that the area consists of low value wildlife habitat, which I .accept. He is, I assume, an expert
on this. But then he leaves his field of .expertise to conclude that therefore it is okay to
degrade the area further .by allowing dogs there. If it is messed up a little, then that makes it
okay .to mess it up some more! .It seems to me that it is more logical to conclude that therefore
the area .should be restored to a condition that will make it good habitat for .wildlife. After
all, before man came here, it was perfectly good habitat! . .You criticize somebody for leaving
his field of expertise. Hmmmmm, sounds .familiar. Maybe similiar to somebody with math and psych
degrees relaying .his lack of wisdom and actual scientific knowledge onto others?

If that were true, I wouldn't have been invited o present scientific papers at numerous scientific
conferences. Nice try, but no banana.

Sure, you .say the studies disproving your opinions are flawed because they don't .support your
opinions but at least these people are publishing actual .studies (both for and against) instead of
relaying retoric and nothing but. . .I'm especially fond though when you wish to restore a park to
a condition to .make it good habititat becuase it was after all perfectly good before man .arrived.
I'm sure your house was also good habitat, as was all of the land .that U.C. Bezerkely, U.C.L.A,
and everything else that supports your .annoying, yet moderately amusing existence . .Michael .

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:08:16 GMT, "Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote:

. .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans ("pure habitat").
Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) .>
. . .What's most important to my eyes is the FACT that he has done literally .nothing to further
his cause.

Why do mountain bikers so often feel it's necessary to LIE? Obviously, you know NOTHING about me and
what I did or didn't do. You didn't even bother to read my web site and SEE what I have done.
Mountain bike stupidity never ceases to amaze
me.

He uses this **** line about "pure habitat" .and has for years. The funny thing is, he has no
land, probably no funds .and no prosepct for land acquision. He is just a fool with a big mouth
and .nothing to back it up. If he was somewhat serious about what his .enviormental religion, you
think he would have done SOMETHING by now. As he .throws around the title of "liar" on everyone of
us, he is at the height of .hyprocacy as he is has no evidence of his "working" on his habitat.
He's a .fraud, a enviormental zealot, a liar and doing nothing productive for his .cause. He's
funny! . .Greg .

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:43:45 +1200, "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message .news:[email protected]...
.> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:34:11 +1200, Westie wrote: .> .> > He's unique in that he doesn't even
want real, sane, reasonable .discussion. .> > It's a strange concept to grasp - but you will never
win an argument .with .> > him. That's not why he argues the point. .> .> Part of its a Usenet
thing. You rarely see anyone have the balls to admit .> they were wrong; they'll just stop replying.
Take a look at the history of .> Vandeman threads, and you'll see that most of them ended with
SOMEONE ELSE .> replying - he just ignores that thread and picks up another one. .> .> FWIW, I lurk
on four newsgroups, and each has its own troll. He's not so .> unique, just more experienced at
trolling. Considering how he keeps .> repeating things that are quite ludicrous, I tend to think
here's here .> mainly here for his own entertainment; all he has to do is type in some .> well-worn
catch phrases at least a few people will get all worked up. .> Anyone who's had a 2-year-old has
already seen his behavior. .> .> -- .> -BB- .> To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
address, at least) . .I agree. I've been floating around the newsgroups for years too and seen
.plenty of trolls. You just don't get it real life, but on the web and .Usenet it's all too common.
In real life you can usually take a debate to .it's conclusion. Rarely can you just walk away. And
that's what takes some .getting used to. I must admit that MV is very good at what he does.

That's easy: I just do my homework, and tell the truth. None of the rest of you are willing
to do that.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 06:41:37 -0400, "Captain Dondo"
<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> .On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 03:46:56 +0000, Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> IS there a "real expert" around
> here? I doubt it. I have read what
those
> .> so-called "experts" write, and it's all junk science. ALL of it. After .> all, mountain bikers
> are the ONLY people motivated to rationalize .> mountain biking. .> .> . .Well, actually, that's
> wrong. I don't own a mountain bike, and I don't .own a horse, yet I feel that horse and bike
> access is justified to some .trails.
>
> I can't help it if you've been brainwashed by mountain bikers.

LOL, that's the best argument you've come up with yet!

For somebody with a PhD., you certainly lack what most people would call intelligence.

Michael

wrote:
> .> .<snip> . .> IS there a "real expert" around here? I doubt it. I have read what
those
> .> so-called "experts" write, and it's all junk science. ALL of it. After .all, .> mountain bikers
> are the ONLY people motivated to rationalize mountain .biking. . .Case in point. Others disagree
> with your views so their expert opinions .become pure junk science (as opposed to your totally
> unscientific
opinions
> .and views).
>
> They aren't junk science because I disagree with them. They are junk
science
> because they are junk science. DUH!
>
> Although your use of circular logic to rationalize your own .points never ceases to amaze me.
> You're good at reciting retoric but
none
> .of your arguments are based on any scientific knowledge. They're all
merely
> .your opinion. . .Taken from this link:

.http://www.imaja.com/change/environment/mvarticles/DogsInWaterfrontPark.htm l
> . .First he says that the area consists of low value wildlife habitat, which
> .accept. He is, I assume, an expert on this. But then he leaves his field
of
> .expertise to conclude that therefore it is okay to degrade the area
further
> .by allowing dogs there. If it is messed up a little, then that makes it
okay
> .to mess it up some more! .It seems to me that it is more logical to conclude that therefore the
area
> .should be restored to a condition that will make it good habitat for .wildlife. After all, before
> man came here, it was perfectly good habitat! . .You criticize somebody for leaving his field of
> expertise. Hmmmmm,
sounds
> .familiar. Maybe similiar to somebody with math and psych degrees
relaying
> .his lack of wisdom and actual scientific knowledge onto others?
>
> If that were true, I wouldn't have been invited o present scientific
papers at
> numerous scientific conferences. Nice try, but no banana.

Even crackpots get their 15 minutes on the Jerry Springer show. It doesn't make them experts
on anything.

Michael

> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:08:16 GMT, "Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> . .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans ("pure habitat").
> Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) .>
> . . .What's most important to my eyes is the FACT that he has done literally .nothing to further
> his cause.
>
> Why do mountain bikers so often feel it's necessary to LIE? Obviously, you
know
> NOTHING about me and what I did or didn't do.

Right back at you Dr. Demented. You know nothing about any of us and merely label us liars because
our views disagree with yours. Of course, even when people of science disagree with your views they
also become liars because they were so obviously brainwashed by other lying mountain bikers.

Sheesh. Get a clue

Michael

wrote:
> .> .<snip> . .> IS there a "real expert" around here? I doubt it. I have read what
those
> .> so-called "experts" write, and it's all junk science. ALL of it. After .all, .> mountain bikers
> are the ONLY people motivated to rationalize mountain .biking. . .Case in point. Others disagree
> with your views so their expert opinions .become pure junk science (as opposed to your totally
> unscientific
opinions
> .and views).
>
> They aren't junk science because I disagree with them. They are junk
science
> because they are junk science. DUH!
>
> Although your use of circular logic to rationalize your own .points never ceases to amaze me.
> You're good at reciting retoric but
none
> .of your arguments are based on any scientific knowledge. They're all
merely
> .your opinion. . .Taken from this link:

.http://www.imaja.com/change/environment/mvarticles/DogsInWaterfrontPark.htm l
> . .First he says that the area consists of low value wildlife habitat, which
> .accept. He is, I assume, an expert on this. But then he leaves his field
of
> .expertise to conclude that therefore it is okay to degrade the area
further
> .by allowing dogs there. If it is messed up a little, then that makes it
okay
> .to mess it up some more! .It seems to me that it is more logical to conclude that therefore the
area
> .should be restored to a condition that will make it good habitat for .wildlife. After all, before
> man came here, it was perfectly good habitat! . .You criticize somebody for leaving his field of
> expertise. Hmmmmm,
sounds
> .familiar. Maybe similiar to somebody with math and psych degrees
relaying
> .his lack of wisdom and actual scientific knowledge onto others?
>
> If that were true, I wouldn't have been invited o present scientific
papers at
> numerous scientific conferences. Nice try, but no banana.

Hmmm. I'm sure that they've either seen your posts and invited you as the guest crazy activist. Or
haven't seen your posts and mistakenly invited you, believing you to be someone that has a rational
point of view. LOL!
--
Westie "Life is what happens while you're planning to do other things"

Michael Paul wrote:

>Even crackpots get their 15 minutes on the Jerry Springer show. It doesn't make them experts on
>anything.

Definition: "Expert" An 'ex' is a has-been and a 'spurt' is a drip under pressure.

Yous in the north Maine woods, Pete Hilton aka The Ent

--
Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at. anon.

Michael Paul wrote:

>Sheesh. Get a clue
>
>Michael

Ain't possible.

Yours in the Nrth Maine woods, Pete Hilton aka The Ent

--
Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at. anon.

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:43:45 +1200, "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> . ."BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> .news:[email protected]... .> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:34:11 +1200, Westie
> wrote: .> .> > He's unique in that he doesn't even want real, sane, reasonable .discussion. .> >
> It's a strange concept to grasp - but you will never win an argument .with .> > him. That's not
> why he argues the point. .> .> Part of its a Usenet thing. You rarely see anyone have the balls to
> admit .> they were wrong; they'll just stop replying. Take a look at the history of .> Vandeman
> threads, and you'll see that most of them ended with SOMEONE ELSE .> replying - he just ignores
> that thread and picks up another one. .> .> FWIW, I lurk on four newsgroups, and each has its own
> troll. He's not so .> unique, just more experienced at trolling. Considering how he keeps .>
> repeating things that are quite ludicrous, I tend to think here's here .> mainly here for his own
> entertainment; all he has to do is type in some .> well-worn catch phrases at least a few people
> will get all worked up. .> Anyone who's had a 2-year-old has already seen his behavior. .> .> --
> .> -BB- .> To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) . .I agree. I've
> been floating around the newsgroups for years too and seen .plenty of trolls. You just don't get
> it real life, but on the web and .Usenet it's all too common. In real life you can usually take a
> debate to .it's conclusion. Rarely can you just walk away. And that's what takes some .getting
> used to. I must admit that MV is very good at what he does.
>
> That's easy: I just do my homework, and tell the truth.

Then you need to go back to school. If hikers and bikers cause the same damage per unit length, then
hikers are really the major trail-damagers. That's the "truth." Anthing less than that isn't

> None of the rest of you are willing to do that.

Irony.

Spider

> .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans ("pure habitat").
> Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) .>
> . . .What's most important to my eyes is the FACT that he has done literally .nothing to further
> his cause.
>
> Why do mountain bikers so often feel it's necessary to LIE? Obviously, you
know
> NOTHING about me and what I did or didn't do. You didn't even bother to
read my
> web site and SEE what I have done. Mountain bike stupidity never ceases to
amaze
> me.
>
> He uses this **** line about "pure habitat" .and has for years. The funny thing is, he has no
> land, probably no funds .and no prosepct for land acquision. He is just a fool with a big mouth
and
> .nothing to back it up. If he was somewhat serious about what his .enviormental religion, you
> think he would have done SOMETHING by now. As
he
> .throws around the title of "liar" on everyone of us, he is at the height
of
> .hyprocacy as he is has no evidence of his "working" on his habitat. He's
> .fraud, a enviormental zealot, a liar and doing nothing productive for his .cause. He's funny!
> . .Greg .

Mikey, Your sniveling, ill informed little posts here and at all your eco-terrorist freindly boards
only proves my point that you are doing NOTHING but typing little quips at people who disagree with
you while build a greater divide between two groups who have more in common that you'd like to
admit. So, what's the location of your habitat?? You have how many acers now?? It's located where???
You're a fraud who is wasting his life in a passionate persuit of nothing and you have nothing to
show for it. **** or get off the pot.

Greg

> > .> Part of its a Usenet thing. You rarely see anyone have the balls to
admit
> > .> they were wrong; they'll just stop replying. Take a look at the
history of
> > .> Vandeman threads, and you'll see that most of them ended with SOMEONE
ELSE
> > .> replying - he just ignores that thread and picks up another one. .> .> FWIW, I lurk on four
> > newsgroups, and each has its own troll. He's not
so
> > .> unique, just more experienced at trolling. Considering how he keeps .> repeating things that
> > are quite ludicrous, I tend to think here's
here
> > .> mainly here for his own entertainment; all he has to do is type in
some
> > .> well-worn catch phrases at least a few people will get all worked up. .> Anyone who's had a
> > 2-year-old has already seen his behavior. .> .> -- .> -BB- .> To reply to me, drop the attitude
> > (from my e-mail address, at least) . .I agree. I've been floating around the newsgroups for
> > years too and
seen
> > .plenty of trolls. You just don't get it real life, but on the web and .Usenet it's all too
> > common. In real life you can usually take a debate
> > .it's conclusion. Rarely can you just walk away. And that's what takes
some
> > .getting used to. I must admit that MV is very good at what he does.
> >
> > That's easy: I just do my homework, and tell the truth.
>
> Then you need to go back to school. If hikers and bikers cause the same damage per unit length,
> then hikers are really the major trail-damagers. That's the "truth." Anthing less than that isn't

What are we going to do about all the animals making game trails in the woods. They are destroying
the evniorment!! They are cuasing awful erosion. I saw a trail through a densly wooded part of a
forest that deer use daily. What are they thinking?? They are destroying the forest!!!! We need to
kill all the animals in the woods to preserve the enviorment!

"Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > .> Part of its a Usenet thing. You rarely see anyone have the balls to
> admit
> > > .> they were wrong; they'll just stop replying. Take a look at the
> history of
> > > .> Vandeman threads, and you'll see that most of them ended with SOMEONE
> ELSE
> > > .> replying - he just ignores that thread and picks up another one. .> .> FWIW, I lurk on four
> > > newsgroups, and each has its own troll. He's not
> so
> > > .> unique, just more experienced at trolling. Considering how he keeps .> repeating things
> > > that are quite ludicrous, I tend to think here's
> here
> > > .> mainly here for his own entertainment; all he has to do is type in
> some
> > > .> well-worn catch phrases at least a few people will get all worked up. .> Anyone who's had a
> > > 2-year-old has already seen his behavior. .> .> -- .> -BB- .> To reply to me, drop the
> > > attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) . .I agree. I've been floating around the
> > > newsgroups for years too and
> seen
> > > .plenty of trolls. You just don't get it real life, but on the web and .Usenet it's all too
> > > common. In real life you can usually take a debate
> > > .it's conclusion. Rarely can you just walk away. And that's what takes
> some
> > > .getting used to. I must admit that MV is very good at what he does.
> > >
> > > That's easy: I just do my homework, and tell the truth.
> >
> > Then you need to go back to school. If hikers and bikers cause the same damage per unit
> > length, then hikers are really the major trail-damagers. That's the "truth." Anthing less than
> > that isn't
> >

> What are we going to do about all the animals making game trails in the woods. They are destroying
> the evniorment!! They are cuasing awful erosion. I saw a trail through a densly wooded part of a
> forest that deer use daily. What are they thinking?? They are destroying the forest!!!! We need to
> kill all the animals in the woods to preserve the enviorment!

Mmmm, good point. When a deer kills an insect or a plant, I guess that means we should ban deer from
the woods. I mean, they can go faster and further than any mountain biker, right? Plus they are
there ALL THE TIME! I think you're on to something here...

;)

Spider

"Spider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > admit
> > history of
SOMEONE
> > ELSE
not
> > so
> > here
> > some
> > seen
> > some

> > > Then you need to go back to school. If hikers and bikers cause the same damage per unit
> > > length, then hikers are really the major trail-damagers. That's the "truth." Anthing less than
> > > that isn't
> > >

> > What are we going to do about all the animals making game trails in the woods. They are
> > destroying the evniorment!! They are cuasing awful erosion. I saw a trail through a densly
> > wooded part of a forest that
deer
> > use daily. What are they thinking?? They are destroying the forest!!!!
We
> > need to kill all the animals in the woods to preserve the enviorment!
> >

> Mmmm, good point. When a deer kills an insect or a plant, I guess that means we should ban deer
> from the woods. I mean, they can go faster and further than any mountain biker, right? Plus they
> are there ALL THE TIME! I think you're on to something here...

Aren't Deer an introduced species that have not real right to be there anyway? I know that here in
New Zealand the only mammal that was indigenous was a small bat. All others have been introduced and
deserve to be killed.
--
Westie "Wondering how it would feel to crush a deer beneath 2.3 knobbies...Mwahahahaha"

> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 06:41:37 -0400, "Captain Dondo"
<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> .On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 03:46:56 +0000, Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> IS there a "real expert" around
> here? I doubt it. I have read what
those
> .> so-called "experts" write, and it's all junk science. ALL of it. After .> all, mountain bikers
> are the ONLY people motivated to rationalize .> mountain biking. .> .> . .Well, actually, that's
> wrong. I don't own a mountain bike, and I don't .own a horse, yet I feel that horse and bike
> access is justified to some .trails.
>
> I can't help it if you've been brainwashed by mountain bikers.
>
> .For a great example of shared use, look up Tsali trails in the Nantahela .National Forest. .
> .When the foot trails are 8' wide (like some in the Smoky Mountains) why .can't mountain bikers
> use them? What would be the harm?
>
> Are you kidding? The exact same damage that happens when they bike on
hiking
> trails! In fact, MORE damage, because wide roads let you travel much
faster.

> .What you're talking about is tolerance, which most people have, and you .most emphatically do
> not. Remeber that "pursuit of happiness" thing in .some old document?
>
> You have to be smart enough to know that there are limits to your selfish pursuit of "happiness":
> namely, harming wildlife and other people. DUH!
Are you
> pretending to be that stupid?

Jeez! What an asshole jerk!

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 20:29:14 +0000, Mike Vandeman wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 06:41:37 -0400, "Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I can't help it if you've been brainwashed by mountain bikers.

Yup. I remember being held down while big-eyed gear-heads ran strange instruments up my nose. And
that blinking implant is still there. Can you sell me the extractor?

> Are you kidding? The exact same damage that happens when they bike on hiking trails! In fact, MORE
> damage, because wide roads let you travel much faster.

Have you actually seen any of these trails I'm talking about? One I was on today was actually a
road, with tire ruts and all. Or do cars do less damage than mountain bikes?

> You have to be smart enough to know that there are limits to your selfish pursuit of "happiness":
> namely, harming wildlife and other people. DUH! Are you pretending to be that stupid?

I guess. I don't understand where tolerance and sharing is selfish. That must make me stupid in your
world, where PhDs get to spout nonsense and such erudite words as DUH! - which appears to be a major
part of your vocabulary.

> (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

And how far did you get? I've championed, designed, and built communities where cars are a secondary
means of transportation. Have you? Or do you just spout drivel on USENET?

-Dondo

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:54:39 +1200, "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:14:43 GMT, "Michael
[...]
.papers at .> numerous scientific conferences. Nice try, but no banana. . .Hmmm. I'm sure that
they've either seen your posts and invited you as the .guest crazy activist. .Or haven't seen your
posts and mistakenly invited you, believing you to be .someone that has a rational point of view.

Neither. They judge my papers on their merits.
===

"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Anyway - what I've done is to add his name to my kill filter,
>
> Welcome to the club, don´t think there are many regular participants in this group who has not
> blocked his **** out long since.

Not me - I think he's one of the funniest reads on usenet, and so easy to wind up!

Adam...