Mike Vandeman Poll

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 06:17:29 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:

.Jim Roberts wrote: .> .> .> .> .> My son was a mountain biker, but abandoned it whan he saw the
damage it .> was doing. .> . .The only damage done is by incompetent riders. If your son was an
.incompetent mountain biker then it's probably a good thing he abandoned it.

See what I mean? Most mountain bikers have their head in the sand, and refuse to admit what is
obvious to everyone else..

.Greg

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 05:38:43 GMT, Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:

. . .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:17:13 GMT, Jim Roberts
<[email protected]> wrote: .> .> . .> . .> .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> . .> .> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004
19:35:36 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> .> .> . .> .> ."Jim Roberts"
<[email protected]> wrote in message .> .> .news:[email protected]...
.> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> Corvus Corvax wrote: .> .> .> .> .> .> > Jim Roberts
<[email protected]> drooled: .> .> .> > .> .> .> >>I've done rather well since. Double major
in chem and Phys .> .> .> >>from Harvard, a PhC in physical chemistry, and a PhD in astrophysics. .>
.> .> >>Want to butt heads? .> .> .> > .> .> .> > .> .> .> > I'm so impressed. How'd the postdocs
go? .> .> .> > .> .> .> > CC .> .> .> .> .> .> Not as well as I'd have liked. I had an offer from
Oxford and one from .> .> .> Florida State (good in theoretical physics because of escapees from .>
.> .> Caltech). But my wife was divorcing me and telling me and the court .> .> .> that if she could
fix it I'd never see my kids again. So I turned down .> .> .> the post-docs to take a visiting
associateship at Caltech to do some .> .> .> interestng unpaid research while I worked on Martian
research at the .> .> .> Planetary Science Institute. (I can do 3D photos without a 3D viewer. .> .>
.> Try the one in "The Lives of Lee Miller". I stuck to Caltech to protect .> .> .> my parental
rights. This getting off the academic escalator seriously .> .> .> damaged my career. It didn't do
that much good for me, anyway, as my .> .> .> 1st wife managed over 10 years to poison their minds
against me. I no .> .> .> longer know where my daughter lives, though we were close up to 4 years .>
.> .> ago. But she does web sites for the Lincoln Center, and my impoverished .> .> .> son lives
with his mother who runs his life, and he has tried to steal .> .> .> thousands of dollars from me
under false pretenses. Whether we will .> .> .> ever get together as a family again is quite
dubious. My daughter is .> .> .> afraid that I want to molest her, and my son has no interest in my
.> .> .> intellectual interests. They are both in their 30s. I have horrible .> .> .> sadnesses in
my life. .> .> .> .> .> .> jimbat .> .> .> .> .> . .> .> .And to think, now you are causing erosion
on a complete other planet. .> .> .Sheesh! Can't you screw up ONE planet and leave the others alone?
<end - .> .> .sick sense of humor> .> .> .> .> That's actually a good question! .> .> === .> .> I am
working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 .> .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) .> .> .>
.> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande .> . .> .****, I'm reseeding the Chesapeake with oysters. What
are you doing? .> .> Look at my web site. It's all there. .> .> .jimbat .> .> === .> I am working on
creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent
the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) .> . .>
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande . .That might be interesting so long as I wasn't separated from my
wife for .too long. My oyster work takes a 2-hr drive each way, and my dog enjoys .the whole thing.
. .I like my Subaru Forester, but we never take it off road. The only .weird road I'd like to go on
would ruin it. . .jimbat

Did you answer my question about the physics of mountain biking? If so, I didn't see it. Can you
email it to me?
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 06:57:40 GMT, "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote:

.Jim Roberts wrote: .> S o r n i wrote: .> .>> Jim Roberts wrote: .>> .>>> That might be interesting
so long as I wasn't separated from my wife .>>> for too long. My oyster work takes a 2-hr drive each
way, and my .>>> dog enjoys the whole thing. .>>> .>>> I like my Subaru Forester, but we never take
it off road. The only .>>> weird road I'd like to go on would ruin it. .>> .>> .>> Anyone ever say
you sound like Forrest Gump? .>> .>> Bill "life is like an oyster...smelly and gooey" S. .>> .>> .>
My road is the Terwilliger Road. It usually makes people's eyes stand .> out on stalks...But once
you get down after all the damage to the .> undercarriage you have to drive up narrow roads closed
in with cat's .> claw. With my old hybrid VW I didn't mind the damage, but my wife .> would not
tolerate it on our new Forester. So I can't get back to my .> Garden of Eden anymore. Someday maybe.
I took my wife there once, .> and of course previous girl friends, and she liked it very much. We .>
had to find a new route in though, since the cows were not cutting .> such a wide swath through the
cat's claw up the creek. .> .> Oysters are not smelly and gooey. They at about 10-15 mm babes .>
growing on other shells when we dump them on their bars. Of course .> there is a nursery beforehand
and then a period of incubation in the .> Chesapeake estuary of about 6 weeks. It's all great fun.
We had a .> female student who played rugby every weekend, and we used to go over .> her bruised
legs *very* carefully. "Here is where Sally spiked me", .> etc. Kissing the bruises was allowed only
in the strictest privacy. . .{fingermovingupanddownbetweenlipsmakingthat"thispersonisnuts"sound.wav}

(A mountain biker's way of expressing jealousy)
===

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 16:56:04 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 13:47:28 GMT, Gary S. <Idontwantspam@net> wrote:
>
>.On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 05:43:21 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> .wrote: . .>Which is about 4
>times as far as a typical hiker travels. .> .You may not be a typical hiker, if that is what you
>think is typical. . .Look in any outdoors club's trip listings, and you will see that that .is in
>the range of walks, while hikes range from 5 miles for .beginners, 10-12 miles for intermediates,
>and 20 for advanced hikers. .At least that is typical in New England terrain. . .Our group's most
>rugged hike is a one day, 23 mile traverse of the .Presidential range in NH, over about a dozen 4k
>plus peaks. But most .are at least 8-10 miles except for the really novice oriented.
>
>I wasn't talking about wimps, but real mountain bikers. They advertize 1-day rides of 50-60 miles.
>There are hikers who can walk 20 miles in a day, but they are extremely rare, and don't have all
>their marbles. Marathon death marches like that are no fun.

So, mountain bikers who bike a large number of miles in a day are "real mountain bikers" (your
words) but hikers who hike a large number of miles in a day "don't have all their marbles"
(your words).

You are rather quick to make assumptions about people you know nothing about. You know everything
about every mountain biker, and now everything about every hiker.

Life must be simple when you slant every observation to fit your internal version of the truth. Too
bad that is the antithesis of the scientific method you claim to espouse.

Your version of hiking bears as little relation to what other people do as your version of science.

When you call me a name for disagreeing with you, please try to use a new one. The automatic
responses are getting tiresome.

Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)
------------------------------------------------
at the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

Gary S. <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 4 Mar 2004 08:29:15 -0800, [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:
>
> >Let's break it down:
> >
> >Very few MTBers ride 50 miles in a day (on dirt/trails). I can think of ONE that MAY have done
> >that a few times. Let's call that, to be very generous, 0.1% of the MTB population. Such a small
> >percentage as to be negligible. This is assuming that the "50-mile MTBer" is not just a plain
> >fabrication.
> >
> >(Query to a.m-b.: has anyone ever ridden 50 miles in a day - on

> >trails?)
> >
> There are only a small percentage of people in general who are willing/capable of riding 50 miles
> on a road on any type of bicycle. Amongst those who call themselves "cyclists" it is much higher,
> but only a few of those who own bicycles _are_ cyclists.

Since Mr. Hickey says that there are folks who do it, I will retract the "fabrication" charge. I'd
guess they are not riding tight, up-down-up-down singletrack, but more flat trails. I'm pretty sure
I could ride 50 road miles without too much trouble, but no damn way I could do 50 trail miles
around these parts. Now, if it were smooth doubletrack or fire roads, then we could talk... :)

In any case, I still say that 0.1% of the total MTB population is a generous, very
conservative figure.

> >The suggestion is that the "typical" hiker hikes about 5 miles. First logical failure - comparing
> >the extraordinary MTBer with the ordinary hiker.
> >
> See my earlier post, many hikers go further than this.

Yes, and many more do not. The vast majority of hikers are hobbyists.
I don't have to hike far to get away from most all folks. I saw your
post, and most agree, but I am talking about sheer volume of people.

> >Second logic failure - comparing the 95th percentile mountain biker with the "typical hiker,"
> >that is, those MTBers that might travel 20 round-trip miles.
> >
> Shading the numbers one way for one group, and the other way for the second group, is hardly
> objective scientific analysis. But, consider the source.

Of course. When one is making a point, one must fudge as much as possible. That's why his website is
mostly opinion and self-referential, and very little actual science. "See my website" is a favorite
dodge, as if his website is authoritative on anything except his opinion. Circular reasoning at it's
most obvious.

> >The basis for science is observation. "Observing" USENET denizens for accurate, representative
> >trail useage info is not science. From direct observation of the mountain biker/hiker useage in
> >this area, the "damage" being done by hikers is very roughly ten times what is done by MTBers.
>
> One person's observations do not make science, especially when EVERYTHING is viewed through a
> partisan lens.

False. One's person's observations DO make science, BUT - it must have proper controls and be peer-
reviewed to be credible. Human biases can never be removed. While I do not have anything more than
anecdotal evidence for my hypothesis, I feel it is a fairly strong one. Certainly, if there was
enough interest, and a grant, I could do a controlled study, and publish it in a real journal
somewhere.

> GOOD science, by definition, is repeatable by a completely independent, perhaps skeptical,
> scientist in the same field.

This comment and your previous one are not mutually exclusive. Note that I am not actually
arguing with you, more like clarifying the process, from a researcher's point of view. (In an
actual, hard science.)

> Mikey is trying to cloth his opinions as science, the same process where we are to assume that a
> PhD in one discipline denotes knowledge in a completely different field without question.

I'm not sure who he's trying to fool. Land managers don't get into those positions by being idiots,
and it doesn't take much thought to understand that a person with a PhD completely outside the scope
of what a land manager controls has very little credibility.

Anyone with a real science background can complete deflate and dismiss Mike's rantings. It's just
not that difficult. And while USENET is a place where you can shift arguments, change subjects, call
names and be a general asshole, in the real world, science is a place where those sorts of antics
don't do anything but destroy credibility. That's why real scientists just laugh at Mike's
assertions.
--
R.F. Jones

"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 06:12:58 GMT, Jim Roberts <[email protected]>
wrote:
>
> . . .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> On 3 Mar 2004 10:06:17 -0800, [email protected] (Jonesy)
> wrote: .> .> .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> .> .> On 2 Mar 2004 09:48:06 -0800, [email protected] (Jonesy)
wrote:
> .> .> .> .> .We all know that hikers cause more trail damage than MTBers,
because
> .> .> .of the sheer volume of hikers vs. MTBers. .> .> .> .> How many hikers hike every week? .
> .I?? . .> . .> .Over ten times more than MTB riders ride every week. .> . .> .> And as far as a
> mountain biker (over 50 miles .> .> in a day -- IMPOSSIBLE for a hiker)? .> . .> .MTBers rarely
> get more than ten miles out, for a total of twenty .> .ridden miles. .> . .> .A rough guess would
> be that less than 5% of MTBers do that much. .> .> Which is about 4 times as far as a typical
> hiker travels. .> .> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .>
> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence
> and road construction.) .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande . .My son was a mountain biker, but
> abandoned it whan he saw the damage it .was doing.
>
> He's one in a million! I have never heard of amy other mountain biker
abandoning
> their sport, no matter how much damage it does! Can you send him my web
address?
> I would like to meet someone as honest as that!
>
Aw, come on Mikey, admit that you just want to try to nail him!

Mike Vandeman wrote:

[...]

>
> He's one in a million! I have never heard of amy other mountain biker abandoning their sport, no
> matter how much damage it does! Can you send him my web address? I would like to meet someone as
> honest as that!

Shows how monomaniacal they are. That was another of my son'e objections. He prefers to play soccer
now. Their failure is a convincing criticism of them.

When he used to live in the Pasadena, CA, area he used to race up and down the Mt Wilson Toll Road,
but that was a road, and a bike could hardly do any damage to it; the rain did more. I used to hike
up it with dates at night, until it was closed at sundown because of some assaults against women.

>
> .jimbat
>
> ===
> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
> help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

No. I don't even know his web address, as he is under the spell of his mother, as I used to be 30-40
years ago. She even made him put the Kukhri sword I gave him into storage, because she wouldn't
allow it in *her* house. He's so ***** whipped, I can hardly talk to him.

jimbat

Mike Vandeman wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 06:17:29 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> .Jim Roberts wrote: .> .> .> .> .> My son was a mountain biker, but abandoned it whan he saw the
> damage it .> was doing. .> . .The only damage done is by incompetent riders. If your son was an
> .incompetent mountain biker then it's probably a good thing he abandoned it.
>
> See what I mean? Most mountain bikers have their head in the sand, and refuse to admit what is
> obvious to everyone else..
>
> .Greg

My son was an expert, won a number of races, and was a member of clubs concerned about trail
erosion, which every one with eyes can see. Maybe you should join one!

I won't work with you on your project since you are such a closed-minded jerk. Oyster folks are a
lot more fun.

jimbat

Jim Roberts wrote (of his son):

> When he used to live in the Pasadena, CA, area he used to race up and down the Mt Wilson Toll
> Road, but that was a road, and a bike could hardly do any damage to it; the rain did more. I used
> to hike up it with dates at night, until it was closed at sundown because of some assaults
> against women.

They ever take you in for questioning?!?

> No. I don't even know his web address, as he is under the spell of his mother, as I used to be 30-
> 40 years ago. She even made him put the Kukhri sword I gave him into storage, because she wouldn't
> allow it in *her* house. He's so ***** whipped, I can hardly talk to him.

With a role model like you around, it's amazing he's not in an institution by now.

Bill "Jimbat's a dingbat" S.

Mike Vandeman wrote:

[...]

> ===
> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
> help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Hmm, it seemed that Netscape 7.1 automatically deleted your question about the physics of mountain
biking. There isn't any, except the obvious observations of erosion, erosion. I have seen a lot of
it on what *used* to be favorite hiking trails, and my son, an experienced mountain biker, agrees
with me completely, though not about much else.

On this issue, you lose.

jimbat

Jim Roberts wrote:
>>
> I won't work with you on your project since you are such a closed-minded jerk. Oyster folks are a
> lot more fun.

M*V: Shucks.

Bill "oyster humor" S.

S o r n i wrote:

> Jim Roberts wrote (of his son):
>
>
>>When he used to live in the Pasadena, CA, area he used to race up and down the Mt Wilson Toll
>>Road, but that was a road, and a bike could hardly do any damage to it; the rain did more. I used
>>to hike up it with dates at night, until it was closed at sundown because of some assaults
>>against women.
>
>
>
> They ever take you in for questioning?!?

There was one appalling incident. My kids and I had just come back from a hike up the road to
Henniger Flats, and were several blocks away on the way home when a Sheriff's cruiser pulled us over
in my Porsche 911. They were very abusive. I had violated no traffic laws, and they refused to tell
me why they stopped me, and they ordered me not to get out of the car nor to let my kids out. They
shined their super-bright flashlights right in my kids' faces and just terrified them. After 15
minutes of terror, they just drove away.

I thought they might throw me into prison because of one more false accusation from my first wife
and the kids turned over to Child Care or a foster family. I told my kids they could sleep with me
that night, and that the police were abusive and illegal, and that it had nothing to do with our
hike. After the cops drove off I told them that the police knew they were wrong, because they
refused to tell us what they had stopped us for; that honest police tell you what they are up to. I
also explained that half the time the police violate the law and there is not much you can do about
it, so it is best to try to stay out of their way. This was not what they had been told at school or
by their mother, but it's close enough to true to be useful. It was an educational evening for them,
and they always afterwards stopped their somewhat antisocial behavior that their mother encouraged,
and never had any run-ins with the police that I know about. They were always wary of the hike
afterwards, though.

>
>
>
>>No. I don't even know his web address, as he is under the spell of his mother, as I used to be 30-
>>40 years ago. She even made him put the Kukhri sword I gave him into storage, because she wouldn't
>>allow it in *her* house. He's so ***** whipped, I can hardly talk to him.
>
>
>
> With a role model like you around, it's amazing he's not in an institution by now.
>
> Bill "Jimbat's a dingbat" S.
>
>
Well, what a compliment. I do have a double major from Harvard. a PhC in physical chemistry, and a
Phd in Astronomy, thesis written at Caltech, and though I was a theorist observed at Kitt Peak, and
La Silla, Chile, to name a few, and have more than 10 published papers that you probably could not
read, and have an M mountaineering leadership rating from the LA Sierra Club. All sorts of
scientific jobs, and a much more comfortable lifestyle than my kids' unemployable mother. Did your
dad do all that? So what qualifies someone not to be a dingbat in your book? That you can understand
them? Sorry, I can't stoop that low.

I suggest that you read Einsteins's paper "on the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" and tell the ng
that he's a dingbat. I have a paper that's much harder to read, which I welcome you to read if you
successfully read Einstein's paper and can tell the ng precisely why E=Mc^2.

jimbat

jimbat

Jim Roberts wrote:
>

>
> There was one appalling incident. My kids and I had just come back from a hike up the road to
> Henniger Flats, and were several blocks away on the way home when a Sheriff's cruiser pulled us
> over in my Porsche 911.

Thanks for letting us know you have a 911. You've instantly become my hero.

>>
>>
> Well, what a compliment. I do have a double major from Harvard. a PhC in physical chemistry, and a
> Phd in Astronomy, thesis written at Caltech, and though I was a theorist observed at Kitt Peak,
> and La Silla, Chile, to name a few, and have more than 10 published papers that you probably could
> not read, and have an M mountaineering leadership rating from the LA Sierra Club. All sorts of
> scientific jobs, and a much more comfortable lifestyle than my kids' unemployable mother.

Somehow I doubt all that since you can't write proper English.

> I have a paper that's much harder to read,

I can write unreadable stuff, too. What's your point?

Greg

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 06:12:58 GMT, Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> . . .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> On 3 Mar 2004 10:06:17 -0800, [email protected] (Jonesy)
> wrote: .> .> .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>... .> .> On 2 Mar 2004 09:48:06 -0800,
> [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote: .> .> .> .> .We all know that hikers cause more trail
> damage than MTBers, because .> .> .of the sheer volume of hikers vs. MTBers. .> .> .> .> How many
> hikers hike every week? . .I?? . .> . .> .Over ten times more than MTB riders ride every week. .>
> . .> .> And as far as a mountain biker (over 50 miles .> .> in a day -- IMPOSSIBLE for a hiker)?
> .> . .> .MTBers rarely get more than ten miles out, for a total of twenty .> .ridden miles. .> .
> .> .A rough guess would be that less than 5% of MTBers do that much. .> .> Which is about 4 times
> as far as a typical hiker travels. .> .> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is
> off-limits to .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting
> auto dependence and road construction.) .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande . .My son was a
> mountain biker, but abandoned it whan he saw the damage it .was doing.
>
> He's one in a million! I have never heard of amy other mountain biker abandoning their sport, no
> matter how much damage it does! Can you send him my web address? I would like to meet someone as
> honest as that!
>
Candyman. Nuff said.

Jim Roberts wrote:
> S o r n i wrote:
>
>> Jim Roberts wrote (of his son):
>>
>>
>>> When he used to live in the Pasadena, CA, area he used to race up and down the Mt Wilson Toll
>>> Road, but that was a road, and a bike could hardly do any damage to it; the rain did more. I
>>> used to hike up it with dates at night, until it was closed at sundown because of some assaults
>>> against women.
>>
>>
>>
>> They ever take you in for questioning?!?
>
> There was one appalling incident. My kids and I had just come back from a hike up the road to
> Henniger Flats, and were several blocks away on the way home when a Sheriff's cruiser pulled us
> over in my Porsche
> 911. They were very abusive. I had violated no traffic laws, and they refused to tell me why
> they stopped me, and they ordered me not to get out of the car nor to let my kids out. They
> shined their super-bright flashlights right in my kids' faces and just terrified them.
> After 15 minutes of terror, they just drove away.
>
> I thought they might throw me into prison because of one more false accusation from my first wife
> and the kids turned over to Child Care or a foster family. I told my kids they could sleep with me
> that night, and that the police were abusive and illegal, and that it had nothing to do with our
> hike. After the cops drove off I told them that the police knew they were wrong, because they
> refused to tell us what they had stopped us for; that honest police tell you what they are up to.
> I also explained that half the time the police violate the law and there is not much you can do
> about it, so it is best to try to stay out of their way. This was not what they had been told at
> school or by their mother, but it's close enough to true to be useful. It was an educational
> evening for them, and they always afterwards stopped their somewhat antisocial behavior that their
> mother encouraged, and never had any run-ins with the police that I know about. They were always
> wary of the hike afterwards, though.
>
>>
>>
>>
>>> No. I don't even know his web address, as he is under the spell of his mother, as I used to be
>>> 30-40 years ago. She even made him put the Kukhri sword I gave him into storage, because she
>>> wouldn't allow it in *her* house. He's so ***** whipped, I can hardly talk to him.
>>
>>
>>
>> With a role model like you around, it's amazing he's not in an institution by now.
>>
>> Bill "Jimbat's a dingbat" S.
>>
>>
> Well, what a compliment. I do have a double major from Harvard. a PhC in physical chemistry, and a
> Phd in Astronomy, thesis written at Caltech, and though I was a theorist observed at Kitt Peak,
> and La Silla, Chile, to name a few, and have more than 10 published papers that you probably could
> not read, and have an M mountaineering leadership rating from the LA Sierra Club. All sorts of
> scientific jobs, and a much more comfortable lifestyle than my kids' unemployable mother. Did your
> dad do all that? So what qualifies someone not to be a dingbat in your book? That you can
> understand them? Sorry, I can't stoop that low.
>
> I suggest that you read Einsteins's paper "on the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" and tell the
> ng that he's a dingbat. I have a paper that's much harder to read, which I welcome you to read if
> you successfully read Einstein's paper and can tell the ng precisely why E=Mc^2.

You're nuckin' futs.

Bill "sea kelp" S.

S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
Jim the Lunatic drooled:
>> I suggest that you read Einsteins's paper "on the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" and tell the
>> ng that he's a dingbat. I have a paper that's much harder to read, which I welcome you to read if
>> you successfully read Einstein's paper and can tell the ng precisely why E=Mc^2.
>
> You're nuckin' futs.
>
> Bill "sea kelp" S.

Comparing himself to Einstein, let alone continued bragging on his CV!

hysterical really. A guy with that much education and he hasn't learned a damn thing about the world
around him. This guy's looking to give the Mikey Monster some serious competition as "most disturbed
poster in the NG."

Bill, I've got to take issue with the sea kelp comment. That's a bit insulting. After all sea kelp
has actual benefit to mankind, and sea otters live in it.

I think sea otters are cool.

I'd rather be riding my bike, but until I heal up this is kinda fun....okay, not really the same but
I'll take it.

Tom (shaking his head)

On 4 Mar 2004 07:45:33 -0800, [email protected] (gazzer) wrote:

.Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... .> G.T. wrote: .> .> > Jim Roberts wrote:
.> > .> >> .> >> .> >> .> >> .> >> My son was a mountain biker, but abandoned it whan he saw the damage .> >> it was doing. .> >> . .Pure fantasy.

Don't you wish....
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto
dependence and road construction.)

G.T. wrote:

> Jim Roberts wrote:
>
>>
>
>>
>> There was one appalling incident. My kids and I had just come back from a hike up the road to Henniger Flats, and were several blocks away on the way home when a Sheriff's cruiser pulled us over in my Porsche 911.
>
>
> Thanks for letting us know you have a 911. You've instantly become my hero.
>
I sold it 20 years ago. I have a Forester now. Much more practical, but not as much fun. I can't go 90 amd still have two gears left. It made driving up 395 on climbing weekends so easy, all you had to do was drop it down to 3rd and floor it and bazoom, you passed and the oncoming car wasn't even scared.

>>>
>>>
>> Well, what a compliment. I do have a double major from Harvard. a PhC in physical chemistry, and a Phd in Astronomy, thesis written at Caltech, and though I was a theorist observed at Kitt Peak, and La Silla, Chile, to name a few, and have more than 10 published papers that you probably could not read, and have an M mountaineering leadership rating from the LA Sierra Club. All sorts of scientific jobs, and a much more comfortable lifestyle than my kids' unemployable mother.
>
>
> Somehow I doubt all that since you can't write proper English.
>
My English is the best in this newsgroup, but I'm not a very good typist. Better you criticize yourself.

And everything I said is true. Too bad you have nothing to match it, but we all have different talents and different roads.

>> I have a paper that's much harder to read,
>
>
> I can write unreadable stuff, too. What's your point?
>
> Greg
>
You can't read my paper, and you can't read Einstein's either, but you huff and puff like a retarded rooster. Your crow doesn't even wake me up. Prove otherwise, you puffed up chump. I've given you a direct challenge while all you have offered is empty insecure insults. Do it, or shut yout babbling trap.

And oh, my paper is perfectly written mathematically, meant to make the difficult subject of neutron star electrodynamics as clear as possible, and completely solves the general problem of a rotating, magnetized neutron star in a vacuum, wherever the multipole is located, not that one exists, but you have to start somewhere, and the next step up is still unsolved, and will be for 100 years.

Eat at McDonalds and stop pestering people who actually know something.

jimbat

jimbat

On 4 Mar 2004 08:29:15 -0800, [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:

.Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... .> On 3 Mar 2004 10:06:17 -0800, [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote: .> .> .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... .> .> .> .> .> .> And as far as a mountain biker (over 50 miles .> .> in a day -- IMPOSSIBLE for a hiker)? .> . .> .MTBers rarely get more than ten miles out, for a total of twenty .> .ridden miles. .> . .> .A rough guess would be that less than 5% of MTBers do that much. .> .> Which is about 4 times as far as a typical hiker travels. . .Let's break it down: . .Very few MTBers ride 50 miles in a day (on dirt/trails). I can think .of ONE that MAY have done that a few times. Let's call that, to be .very generous, 0.1% of the MTB population. Such a small percentage as .to be negligible. This is assuming that the "50-mile MTBer" is not .just a plain fabrication. . .(Query to a.m-b.: has anyone ever
ridden 50 miles in a day - on .trails?) . .The suggestion is that the "typical" hiker hikes about 5 miles. First .logical failure - comparing the extraordinary MTBer with the ordinary .hiker. . .Second logic failure - comparing the 95th percentile mountain biker .with the "typical hiker," that is, those MTBers that might travel 20 .round-trip miles. . .The "typical" mountain biker around these parts might go out for a .5-10 mile round trip ride. The ones that I go out with are in that .group. Beginners and hobbyists ride for much less than that (from my .experience) and mostly on trails shared with hikers. Lesson: the .vast majority of MTBers around here go no further "out" than the .hikers, and ride about as far as the "typical" hiker walks.

So you are saying that they are satisfied with a much shorter (time-wise) trip? VERY unlikely.

.While some MTBers that hang out in the newsgroups might ride 10-20 .miles 3-4 times/week, they are a very small percentage of the total .population of folks who actually ride on the trails. AFAIK, I am the .only local who actually hangs out in USENET. Oddly, I ride a lot more .than those other guys. . .The basis for science is observation. "Observing" USENET denizens for .accurate, representative trail useage info is not science. From .direct observation of the mountain biker/hiker useage in this area, .the "damage" being done by hikers is very roughly ten times what is .done by MTBers.

You are lying. MTBers' own ride advertisements announce rides from 17 to 60 miles, MUCH farther than any hiker travels.
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:53:03 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

.: .>.> .>.> .We all know that hikers cause more trail damage than MTBers, because .>.> .of the sheer volume of hikers vs. MTBers. .>.> .>.> How many hikers hike every week? .>. .>.Over ten times more than MTB riders ride every week. .>. .>.> And as far as a mountain biker (over 50 miles .>.> in a day -- IMPOSSIBLE for a hiker)? .>. .>.MTBers rarely get more than ten miles out, for a total of twenty .>.ridden miles. .>. .>.A rough guess would be that less than 5% of MTBers do that much. .> .>Which is about 4 times as far as a typical hiker travels. .> .>=== .>I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .>humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .>years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) .> .>http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande . .What a stupid arguement. Yes hikers wear out trails, yes, mountain .bikers wear out trails.

Nonsense. Hikers PACK down trails. Bikers rip them up and accelerate erosion. One look at a knobby tire would tell you that, if you were honest.

Here's a thought trails were made (the trails .we're talking about) for people to use,

Use, but not destroy. Bikers erode trails so badly that they become unusable, even for bikers, and require trail "maintenance".

when they use them they will .causes some wear. . .It doesn't matter who wears them out.

Of course it does. Bikers create V-shaped ruts that are dangerous to walk on. Hikers pack trails FLAT. DUHHHHHH!

Not only that but bikers and .hikers wear trails out in different ways and places. Hiker short cuts .are the worst I've seen. But when you ride on muddy trails that .creates a different type of wear. Also steep downhill corners are a .wear point for bikes. . .See Mike that is a balanced arguement, not some rantings of a self .proclaimed conservasionist who doesn't have the ability to see out of .his tunnel and uses a lot of absolute terms like "all mountain bikers .are liars" and "pure habitat". Your inability to wrap your myopic mind .around an issue actually makes you an enemy to your own cause since .you incite people to do things just so they can bug you. . .Oh jesus, am I stupid, trying to use logic on an idiot.

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)