Mikefule's MUni "trials"

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Mikefule, Apr 28, 2006.

  1. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    Over the last few weeks or months I've been toying with the idea of
    upgrading from my Pashley 26 (Holy Roller) to a more modern higher
    spec. MUni.

    A few days ago, I posted a thread-in haec foro -seeking guidance on
    which would be most appropriate. I was persuaded to go for the well
    known brand named after "the man himself" (KH) although I am not
    normally brand-minded. I plumped for the XC - that's the lighter of
    the two high spec KH 24s. It has a 2.5" tyre instead of 3", and I
    think it has a lighter rim.

    Order placed Tuesday evening. The parcel arrives at work on Thursday.
    I arrive back at the office from lunch to be told, "Your flat pack
    furniture has arrived." I carry/drag the larger-than-expected box
    through to my own office and wonder how I'm going to get it home.

    My team manager arrives, sees the box and is jubilant - he's been
    waiting for the two new PC tower units to arrive for the last few
    weeks. I disappoint and perplex him by explaining that it is not a box
    of computer equipment, but a cross country unicycle, and that his
    expenses will be reduced as a result of his new company vehicle. We
    work for the Co-Op so the story is so nearly plausible that he looks
    just a bit worried.

    I finish work later than expected, and then drag/carry the box to the
    lift, then through the lobby, down the stairwell to the carpark, and up
    the next set of steps. Brilliant: a KH uni and I've done two flights
    of steps before it's even out of the box. How cool is that?

    Now, the dilemma. I have to go home on a 125 cc Vespa scooter.

    The box is much much bigger than expected. The uni is a 24, right? So
    the box should be about two feet across... and as every skoolboy kno, a
    foot is about the length of a, well, that's why women can't park
    because men tell them that -that's -about a foot...;)

    I have with my scooter, two climbing slings - webbing straps - and plan
    A is to loop these through the packing straps on the box, and wear the
    box like a rucksack.

    Fine, it works - until I sit on the scooter. The box is very large and
    heavy, and it won't rest comfortably on the pillion seat. I start the
    engine, ride experimentally round the car park, and the box falls off
    the pillion seat, and hangs against my side like a satchel. It's
    weight is pulling on my other shoulder, but I feel reasonably stable.

    Plan B, of course, is to ride home on the uni with the scooter strapped
    to my back...

    So, I decide to go for Plan A(i) which is riding the scooter with the
    massive box (I think it's growing!) hanging at my side.

    In the rush hour.:eek:

    So I get to the first traffic jam.

    Where normally I would filter past the cars, sneering superciliously, I
    have to wait. At this speed, my 10 minute journey could last 40
    minutes, and the box is getting heavier and heavier. I do a quick
    calculation. At this rate of exponential growth, by the time I get
    home, the box will be taller than Nelson's column, and weigh as much as
    four London Buses. The bruise on my shoulder will be the size of a
    football pitch. (Note for foreign readers - these are standard British
    units of measurement.)

    Finally I reach some faster flowing traffic. Common sense prevails and
    I keep the speed down to about 20 mph, but there is a headwind, and the
    box has a large flat side, and aerodynamics come into play. People at
    bus stops stare open-mouthed as a scooter buzzes past with a large
    cardboard kite looping and swooping alongside it.

    This is no fun. I decide to avoid the main roads and filter through
    the back roads. This adds distance and time to my journey. It also
    adds traffic calming - that's what we call those bumps that don't make
    me any calmer, and do nothing whatsoever to stop kids in stolen cars
    from driving them really fast at 1:30 a.m. Each bump jerks the weight
    of the box down onto my shoulder, and things are getting bad.

    And then my mobile rings. It is on silent (thank goodness - the ring
    tone is really annoying) but also on vibrate, and it is in my shirt
    pocket, buzzing away against my nipple, irritatingly. Whoever it is
    must leave a message, because it immediately rings again. Vodaphone 121
    always does that: it rings you back about 30 seconds after you've just
    been unable to answer the phone, to see if you were pretending. Then I
    get a text. By now, I have a sore shoulder, a tingly nipple (so it's
    not all bad) and a foul mood.

    But at last I get home. Check my (unimportant) message, then carry the
    box in. With great ceremony, I cut the packing straps to reveal the
    magnificence of the Duro 3" tyre. Out comes the frame, with the
    beautiful braze-on brake fittings...

    Er...

    It's the wrong model. After all that thought, I ordered the lighter
    XC, and I've been sent the heavier MUni.

    Crestfallen, I swear.

    Curiosity gets the better of me. I take all the bits out, match them
    up, tentatively bolt them together.

    It's actually quite fiddly to assemble because all the parts fit so
    snugly - almost too snugly because of the paint - and it is difficult
    not to strip the threads in the bearing clamps. Finally, it goes
    together, except for the seat post, which is several "feet" long. I
    try to pull it out, and it is stuck; I give it a twist, and it comes
    out, the bottom inch or so with a tell-tale zigzag scrawk.

    Looks like I'll have to keep it.:rolleyes:

    And the tyre does look sort of macho.

    And the Holy Roller's a 2.4" section anyway, and better for cross
    country than serious mud plugging... and think how it'd go with
    shorter cranks...

    So the KH with the 3" tyre stays. Final answer, Kris.

    And it took me three goes and a broken hacksaw blade to cut that bloody
    seat post to the right length.

    First write up some time this weekend...

    --
    Mikefule

    Last night another soldier, last night another child
    No one seems to worry, no one sees his mother cry
    They're just facts and figures on your TV screen
    Another child and another soldier, is peace just a dream?

  2. bmemike

    bmemike Guest

  3. unisteve

    unisteve Guest

    You wouldn't have appreciated the unicycle without that kind of effort.
    Be thankful.

    I know I appreciate hearing about people's stories through posts like
    this.

    You're going to love that tire. It'll roll over a small child.

    --
    unisteve

    -\"i live on the edge. sometimes i fall off.\"-

    la vie est belle...

    harper is my hero.
    unisteve's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/543

  4. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    unisteve wrote:

    > You're going to love that tire. It'll roll over a small child.

    OK, you've sold it to me.

    Fetch me a small child.

    --
    Mikefule

    Last night another soldier, last night another child
    No one seems to worry, no one sees his mother cry
    They're just facts and figures on your TV screen
    Another child and another soldier, is peace just a dream?

  5. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    Fab story. I laughed out loud a few times (funny looks from hubby).
    Can't wait for the write up.

    I always break the hacksaw blades when I get a new unicycle. I can't
    even buy a KH unicycle cos I would have to cut the frame - it's not for
    those with legs as short as mine.

    Happy, happy riding.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  6. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

    Mike--

    That burly version of the KH 24 is so light it will never cause you
    pause on a speed run and you're good to go on anything else, right up
    to world-class tech. muni over corpses, steeples, down mountainsides,
    up frozen waterfalls, et al. The only addition you might someday
    consider is buying a set of 150 crank arms (maybe 40 pounds sterling).
    You can really motor with those when the terrain is non-technical.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

  7. pinwheel

    pinwheel Guest

  8. flyer

    flyer Guest

  9. cathwood wrote:

    > I always break the hacksaw blades when I get a new unicycle.
    >
    > Cathy

    You should ALWAYS use a pipe cutter to reduce the seat post length.
    Works fast and leaves a nice clean, even cut.

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

    You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  10. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    think of it this way...you got more than you paid for. the XC is cheaper
    is it not? so in essence you just got more than you paid for.

    --
    trials_uni

    TRIALS 4 LIFE !
    [image: http://tinyurl.com/qz2fv ]

    koebwil wrote:
    > I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
    > letters I don't want

    w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

  11. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    haha good story... looking forward to some bitchin stories..

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P James Doohan
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Peter Jennings
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS

    -last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

  12. bmemike wrote:
    > Through blood (ok, bruise) sweat and maybe some tears, you've earned
    > that uni!

    u think uve earned it ive done yardwork till my hands have no skin oj
    them to get a new uni

    --
    skianduniaddict

    number1 under 15 skiier in the united states
    ski sugarloaf uni bradbury
    my cat bob ate four kids;)
    i regret the day i threw a snowball at randy johnson
    skianduniaddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11868

  13. harper

    harper Guest

    Put the uni together at work on their time and charge the labor to them.
    Then, you know it's the wrong uni before you decide to take it home. If
    you decide to take it home it is no longer a kite because there is no
    box around it. Tell Roger he sent you the wrong uni and demand a new
    one while you "test" the wrong one.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  14. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

  15. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    trials_uni wrote:
    > think of it this way...you got more than you paid for. the XC is cheaper
    > is it not? so in essence you just got more than you paid for.

    As it happens, they are both around the same price at the moment, to
    within £5. It's a sale price, and well below the normal price.

    And full marks to Roger who was gracious and apologetic when I
    contacted him, and offered to make the change if I wanted. He was
    happy for me to keep the "wrong one", or to swap, or to swap individual
    components (e.g. cranks) if I wanted. No complaints there at all.

    <<Oh great, now Mikefule is going to have the best MUni stories too!>>

    Thanks. The places I ride are unlikely to change significantly most of
    the time. Thee's plenty of MUni stuff in the Sherwood forest
    stories.

    The most recent was "Foller t' Yeller brick" from Tuesday 25th April.
    I am more of a cross country rider than a MUni rider, in that I like to
    ride 5 - 15 miles over rough and varied ground, rather than spending a
    lot of time in a small area hoppin' and boppin' on obstacles.

    --
    Mikefule

    Last night another soldier, last night another child
    No one seems to worry, no one sees his mother cry
    They're just facts and figures on your TV screen
    Another child and another soldier, is peace just a dream?

  16. gkmac

    gkmac Guest

    Hmmm, I felt rather sorry when you discovered you were sent the wrong
    uni. Especially after all the effort you did to bring it home.

    Mikefule wrote:
    > And full marks to Roger who was gracious and apologetic when I contacted
    > him, and offered to make the change if I wanted. He was happy for me
    > to keep the "wrong one", or to swap, or to swap individual components
    > (e.g. cranks) if I wanted. No complaints there at all.

    So what are you going to do? Keep the Freeride, or swap for an XC?

    Place your bets now...

    --
    gkmac

    "It's a marvellous thing to see, someone in full flight on the
    unicycle." - Stuart Maconie, Radio 2
    "Oh no! Both my toes have gone numb!" - Joe Hodges
    "You also met me gk! I was the one eating the sandwich!" - Adam Gayne
    gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577

  17. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    The new uni has been taken around Sherwood forest and across the desert,
    past the black lagoon, over the BMX course and down the downhill MTB
    course today.

    It has none of the disadvantages I thought might come from the very
    wide heavy tyre, and it seems to be almost unstoppable. Brilliant in
    soft shifting sand. I may need to tinker with the tyre pressure, and
    adjust the seat height, but other than that, fantastic.

    I may write up the ride tomorrow.

    --

  18. Mikefule wrote:
    > It has none of the disadvantages I thought might come from the very wide
    > heavy tyre, and it seems to be almost unstoppable. Brilliant in soft
    > shifting sand. I may need to tinker with the tyre pressure, and adjust
    > the seat height, but other than that, fantastic.

    Oi, how much is KH paying you?

    I already miss 'Mikefule the grumbler' ;)

    --
    goldenchicken
    goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149