Milan san Remo... any guesses?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by sgrapevine, Mar 14, 2005.

1. sgrapevine

sgrapevine New Member

Anybody actually betting against Freire? I think his phonnomenal shwoing in Tirreno Adriatico bodes well for an MSR win...
    So who else will be up there with him? Bettini's won it before and he's off to a good start... Petacchi and Boonen are also in good form.

I hope Hincapie finishes on the podium... I bet he will.

Tags:

2. NRW77

NRW77 New Member

Hincapie is my man for the classics this year, as a hope anyway if not a sure bet. Freire does look super-fit, though. I think that Hincapie could really blow things wide open in a couple of races, though, owing to the addition of Hoste and Hammond to the team. Now he may actually have some support in the latter hours of the classics. Allez George! And not for nothin' but it would be cool to see Fast Freddy sneak in and steal a big race from the Euros :D

Cheers,

NW

3. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

Who knows, but I'm rooting for Boonen. I like to see the younger guys come up.

4. Roadrash Dunc

Roadrash Dunc New Member

Hincapie doesnt stand a chance of getting on the podium in this Classic im afraid.
    First 3 spots will got to those with a class sprint finish this year.
    Pettachi , Boonen , Friere have to be the 3 favourites , with outside chances for Zabel , McEwan and possibly Valverde.

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I taped Stage 6 of Tirreno Adriatico and watched it last night.

Freire is going really well - Petacchi got the sprint in the end but Freire is going really well and should hold on today to the leaders jersey, all being well.
    Freire is a class act.

The Poggio and Cipressa might undo Boonen and Petacchi.
    Therefore I'm going for Freire for Milan-San Remo, with Zabel and perhaps Bettini
    in the reckoning.

(It is the major race for the Italians - maybe best not to write them off !)

6. Ruff_Ryder

Ruff_Ryder New Member

if Freire rides it then he has a good chance.

though Pettachi and Boonen are very strong now...

is Cunego riding it?

7. Roadrash Dunc

Roadrash Dunc New Member

Cunego was going to ride it which surprised a few , but latest news is he is not.

8. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

That's disappointing, Dunc.
    I saw his statement and he doesn't want to jepordise his Giro and his later debut in the TDF.

I was really looking forward to seeing Damiano Cunego go in Milan-San Remo.

I still think Freire will prevail.

9. Virenque

Virenque New Member

The question is who of the sprinters will come over Poggio and Cipressa in the first group! Hm..once again with no guess - simple too unpredictable!:)

10. Roadrash Dunc

Roadrash Dunc New Member

Yes a bit disappointing but very understandable.He was quoted in L'equipe :
    "I don't feel ready to rub elbows for nearly seven hours on the coastal roads, I would be too afraid to compromise my season in a crash."

Cunego , Valverde and Basso are the 3 riders that hold the most interest for me this season , id like to see them as much as possible! At least Valverde will be there , i think he can make the podium.

11. strummer_fan

strummer_fan New Member

What about the chances for Davide Rebellin? Is he riding MSR?

I don't know much about him.

12. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Well Petacchi just won the final stage of the Tirreno Adriatico in front of Cipollini and the usual suspects. Should be an interesting MSR.

I wonder if everyone will mark Freire and the Rabobank gang. Then again, once you get to the poggio, if you have the legs you can do it.

My vote goes to Ale-Jet (obviously) - he is riding well and although everyone remembers the Zabel screw-up, Petacchi was ultra-apologetic for having let his team down in the MSR last year...

13. leegregory

leegregory New Member

I'd like Bettini to do it, i admire a rider who attacks at will and keeps on attacking till he can't go any more. Cadel Evans i thought looked really good at Paris - Nice might be worth an outside bet, Valverde did look good though. Good thing about it is that it's anyone's race and a lot of people are on form. Bring it on..

14. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Yeah, Bettini could well be the dark horse.
    He's been relatively quiet in T-A : but he was up there in the final 2kms, not contesting but there.

Freire and Rabo are going really well though.
    Putting me head on the block : Freire.

15. Laggard

Laggard New Member

I don't think that Bettini is in particularly great form. Rebellin had his moments at Paris Nice.

This one's between Peta, Freire and Boonen. I'm putting Valverde, Hondo and Pineau in the top 10.

16. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Apart from the Giro, this is the race that every Italian wants to win !

It is too close to call conclusively.

17. patch70

patch70 New Member

Another vote for Petacchi over Freire and Boonen. Valverde as an outside chance.
    Bettini seems to be struggling at the moment. Zabel I think is not quick enough now. O'Grady also out of form with an abdominal(?) injury.
    The Fassa and Rabobank trains will control it and Fassa just seem to have it together for the perfect leadout right now.
    Would love to see Allan Davis do well.

18. Cyclism

Cyclism New Member

The problem with Petacchi is his weight. IF he makes it over the Poggio with the lead group, he'll probably be too toasted for the sprint, like last year. Freire is on fire now, I pick him for the win. If O'Grady is indeed injured, then Boonen/Zabel on the podium.

19. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Davis is a very good cyclist - I've been watching him progress, quite nicely.
    Another tough Aussie cyclist - you guys certainly know how to produce them.

20. Flyer

Flyer Banned

I say Fast Freddie Rodriguez is over due for a Classics Victory. (this assumes his teammate Robbie McQuin doesn't make the final split)