Milan san Remo... any guesses?

Flyer said:
I say Fast Freddie Rodriguez is over due for a Classics Victory. (this assumes his teammate Robbie McQuin doesn't make the final split)

Robbie had a mishap today at Adriatico.

Rodriguez is a very good prospect.

limerickman said:
Robbie had a mishap today at Adriatico.

Rodriguez is a very good prospect.

Personally, I know he is super motivated this year.

I heard he fell off in Paris Nice--but scored a 3rd place on the uphill sprint just 24 hours later.

Amazing how these race horses recover so fast?

It took me 3 weeks to recover from a similar crash last year.

Anyway, that's why we have the race, to find out who can cross that white line first.

Caio, Limerickman.

Flyer said:
Personally, I know he is super motivated this year.

I heard he fell off in Paris Nice--but scored a 3rd place on the uphill sprint just 24 hours later.

Amazing how these race horses recover so fast?

It took me 3 weeks to recover from a similar crash last year.

Anyway, that's why we have the race, to find out who can cross that white line first.

Caio, Limerickman.

Yes, he did fall off the bike as you say in P-N.

Sean Kelly - a good judge of biker - said that he was impressed with Rodriguez.
High praise, coming from Sean isn't a regular thing.

if it comes to a group sprint I'd have to go with Freire. I'm kind of hoping Valverde will be able to make a jump from a more select group though!

It's probably everyone against Freire, judging by his current form. It'll be good to see whether Fassa can actually set it up as they usually do for Petacchi.

Freire is the logical choice.

Zabel was right there a year ago, though; and i don't think much can change in a year. I know he was down with the flu a short while ago. Still, I'd like to see him redeem himself; he's my sentimental choice.

Cyclism said:
The problem with Petacchi is his weight. IF he makes it over the Poggio with the lead group, he'll probably be too toasted for the sprint, like last year. Freire is on fire now, I pick him for the win. If O'Grady is indeed injured, then Boonen/Zabel on the podium.

Well, I'll eat my words. Petacchi did it. Can't wait to watch the TV coverage.

Cyclism said:
Well, I'll eat my words. Petacchi did it. Can't wait to watch the TV coverage.

Petachhi looks like he can win any race that Fassa can get him up the climbs and that the climbers can't open a big gap in. I think he'll go a lot deeper into the Tour this year.

jstraw said:
I think he'll go a lot deeper into the Tour this year.
Except that he's said that he's doing the Giro & Vuelta and will not ride the tour in '05...

jstraw said:
Petachhi looks like he can win any race that Fassa can get him up the climbs and that the climbers can't open a big gap in. I think he'll go a lot deeper into the Tour this year.

The Fasso train was superb on Saturday.
They led him out perfectly.

I agree, if he is there at the end of a race, it is hard to see him being beaten.
The only hope for the other teams is to get in a breakaway that stays, away.
At this stage if it comes down to a sprint and Petacchi and crew are there, he'll win it.
A great win for him.

jstraw said:
What a *****!

He is avoiding the Tour as he believes it may hinder his form for the Worlds in Madrid. Ale-Jet said he isn't sure if he'll get to see another course like Madrid at the Worlds that suits him. I'd miss the Tour if it meant a better chance of getting the Rainbow jersey.

limerickman said:
The Fasso train was superb on Saturday.
They led him out perfectly.

I agree, if he is there at the end of a race, it is hard to see him being beaten.
The only hope for the other teams is to get in a breakaway that stays, away.
At this stage if it comes down to a sprint and Petacchi and crew are there, he'll win it.
A great win for him.

True the Fassa train did their job, but when Bettini pulled off in the last 200m, Petacchi was exosed at the front and had to sprint immediately. All the favorites hesitated (hell, Boonen was on Peta's wheel) and got boxed in by lesser sprinters. I believe Petacchi won by over a bike length. I'm not a huge fan Petacchi and his helper team train, but his win was impressive and I have more respect for his sprinting abilities.

Cyclism said:
True the Fassa train did their job, but when Bettini pulled off in the last 200m, Petacchi was exosed at the front and had to sprint immediately. All the favorites hesitated (hell, Boonen was on Peta's wheel) and got boxed in by lesser sprinters. I believe Petacchi won by over a bike length. I'm not a huge fan Petacchi and his helper team train, but his win was impressive and I have more respect for his sprinting abilities.

The Fassa train controlled the sprint very well.
Bettini tried to break away with about 20kms to go but was brought back.
it appeared to me that he tried to lead out Boonen but against a train like Fassa
It was never really on.

Petacchi had it by a bike length and more.
Hondo was closing but was no where near close in the end.

What impresses me is how these sprinters still have the energy to sprint after
a 280km race !

What impresses me is how these sprinters still have the energy to sprint after
a 280km race !

Yea, I just read that MSR race officials will probably throw in a harder climb before the Poggio by next year to help break things up. The "Pompeiana climb which features ramps as steep as 13 percent and hits the coast road just 4.5km from the Poggio". That'll squash some sprinter's chances.