Milan - San Remo predictions

doctorSpoc said:
Boonen better get used to sloppy seconds in sprints. and Hausler can actually climb pretty good so Boonen has no chance of green jersey in the tour... not that he will ever actually finish a tour in order to get a green jersey... lol.
While I agree that he better get used to sloppy seconds...

Remember 2007.

whiteboytrash said:
What's with the British press today ? Zero reports on MSR with one about Victoria farking Pendleton.
Both BBC News 24 and Sky news had his win in their main sports bulletins yesterday, although only BBC had pictures.

Kudos to Cavendish, but this is quite a puzzling one.
Cavendish suddenly gets the legs to win this. He has never shown any talent at climbing, has he?
Hausler comes from nothing last year to quite possibly the 2nd best sprinter on the planet. Astonishing progress.
Boonen not in shake up?
One half hearted break on the Poggia (sp?).

Anyhow, as I posted last year, M-SR is one hell of a bore-fest. For its sheer predictability year after year it should be it should be demoted from Classic status.

wicklow200 said:
Cavendish suddenly gets the legs to win this. He has never shown any talent at climbing, has he?
Hausler comes from nothing last year to quite possibly the 2nd best sprinter on the planet. Astonishing progress.
Boonen not in shake up?

Anyhow, as I posted last year, M-SR is one hell of a bore-fest. For its sheer predictability year after year it should be it should be demoted from Classic status.
The hills arent that steep though as far as i can tell? Looking at previous results there often seem to be a lot of sprinters at the end. Having said that Cav does suffer on the climbs - it must have been an all-out effort to stay with the front group. I thought that he wouldnt have the finish left in him to win.

wicklow200 said:
Boonen not in shake up?

Yes he has become a very good sprinter quite quickly but I'd say that leg speed can be acquired much quicker than endurance required for long races. He seems to benefit a lot from his history at the track (and maybe from the same substances the British track racers have for the past few years) and he obviously has a ton of talent. His burst of speed at the end of races is phenomenal. I didn't think he would have been mature enough for the classics like MSR for a few years but apparently he is. I can't however see such a leap in his progress to attribute that solely to something unnatural.
Hausler on the other hand I know nothing of.

wicklow200 said:
Boonen not in shake up?

Cavendish now has two full years of toughening up under his belt. I thought it would be another year before he would challenge at Milan-Sanremo, but he's come through earlier. From what I've read the race wasn't hard enough on the Cipressa to smash the sprinters. There were plenty of them left in the lead group.

Haussler was recognised as being a potential gun. He has been hampered the last two years with falls, injury and illness.

Milan-Sanremo can have the most exciting last 25km of any classic IMO, and is often a smashfest on the Poggio. The tension from the Cipressa on must be unbearable if you are a favorite.

classic1 said:
Cavendish now has two full years of toughening up under his belt. I thought it would be another year before he would challenge at Milan-Sanremo, but he's come through earlier. From what I've read the race wasn't hard enough on the Cipressa to smash the sprinters. There were plenty of them left in the lead group.

Haussler was recognised as being a potential gun. He has been hampered the last two years with falls, injury and illness.

Milan-Sanremo can have the most exciting last 25km of any classic IMO, and is often a smashfest on the Poggio. The tension from the Cipressa on must be unbearable if you are a favorite.
Cav has slimmed down this season too. Compare him to last year, he looks to have lost about 5kg or perhaps more. That will help him in the hills.

parawolf said:
Cav has slimmed down this season too. Compare him to last year, he looks to have lost about 5kg or perhaps more. That will help him in the hills.

If he knocked them big teeth out and squeezed some zits he'd probably loose another 4kg and turn into a climber.

Glad to see yesterdays Guardian newspaper did have some coverage of the Cavendish win.

The article stated that several riders, and it mentioned Boonen, had said that the Poggio and Cipressa, would be Cavendish's undoing.

Cav said that not only was he delighted to win - but that he was also delighted to see Boonen "going backwards on the Poggio" !

It is an astonishing win for Cavendish though.
He's the second youngest rider to ever win MSR at 23 years of age.
Merckx is the only rider to have won this race at a younger age.

I had a feeling that Cav might win this race when we were discussing potential winners although I wasn't 100% confident that he would win it.