Milan-San Remo

limerickman said:
Chavanel is going really well at the moment............let's see how well he recovers from Paris-Nice.
I'll be the idiot and pick Cipo riding for Tinkoff. :D

Rolfrae said:
My Italian's not so hot. He's waving goodbye to Rock but I read on CN he's trying to sign on with Tinkoff to ride MSR instead?
Tuesday March 18, 2008 - Mario Cipollini intervenes directly with an official to clarify once and for all his position on the eventual participation in the Milan-San Remo on Saturday next for which would go looking for a team.
Di seguito il comunicato integrale scritto dell’ex campione del mondo toscano e inviato alla Gazzetta dello Sport:
Below is the text written informed of world champion Tuscan and sent to the Gazzetta dello Sport:

In relazione al mio rapporto professionale con la società americana Rock Racing, Vi informo che, purtroppo, ho dovuto, mio malgrado, risolvere la collaborazione intrapresa da qualche mese.
"In relation to my professional relationship with American society Rock Racing, I tell you that, unfortunately, I had my will, resolve cooperation undertaken by a few months.
Il programma di poter disputare la Milano Sanremo aveva un significato se collegato al più ampio progetto di costruzione e gestione di un nuovo team, che nella pratica, nonostante gli accordi contrattuali, è venuto meno per responsabilità a me non riferibili.
The program can disputare Milan San Remo had a meaning if connected to the broader project of constructing and operating a new team, which in practice, despite the contractual agreement, has failed responsibility for not referring to me.
D’altro canto il mio rientro alle competizioni era strumentale al più ampio disegno di costruire un “dream team”.
On the other hand, my return to competition was instrumental to the broader plan to build a "dream team".
Sono dispiaciuto, ma al contempo riconoscente e grato a tutti quanti in questi mesi mi hanno dimostrato affetto, sostegno e calore.
I am sorry, but at the same time grateful and thankful to all those who in recent months have shown me affection, support and warmth.
Desidero, comunque, ringraziare Angelo Zomegnan per l’opportunità offertami.
I would like, however, to thank Angelo Zomegnan for the opportunity.
Smentisco l’indiscrezione circa una mia presunta ed eventuale partecipazione alla Milano-Sanremo con altre squadre, anche perché, come detto in precedenza, avrebbe avuto un senso collegata al più ampio progetto gestionale.
Deny the indiscretion about my alleged and possible participation in the Milan-San Remo with other teams, not least because, as mentioned earlier, had a feeling connected to the wider project management.
La mia carriera quale ciclista l’ho conclusa nel 2005
My career as cyclist I finished in 2005 "
Con la consueta stima, Mario Cipollini
With the usual estimate, Mario Cipollini

If a bunch sprint happens - Freire is the man

Breakaway - Rebellin or Cancellara

Pozzato is a good chance too.

Rolfrae said:
I'll be the idiot and pick Cipo riding for Tinkoff. :D
Now that Cipo's not riding I get to pick someone else. :)Thor Hushovd looked really strong on the climbs in Paris Nice but didn't look so strong in the sprints...still I'll go for him seeing as no one else has. Got to have a reason.

Based on their previous exploits I wouldn't be suprised to see the Tinkoff boys being fairly aggressive. Ignatiev for the win perhaps? Cavendish in with a chance if he's racing? But really I think the odds on favourite is Freire.

Cancellara can do no wrong at the mo and the Poggio will not bother him either. Did anyone notice his 10th place on the Montelupone stage at Tierreno?

Eldrack said:
Based on their previous exploits I wouldn't be suprised to see the Tinkoff boys being fairly aggressive. Ignatiev for the win perhaps? Cavendish in with a chance if he's racing? But really I think the odds on favourite is Freire.
nope, cav wont get over cipressa much less poggio.

thunder said:
nope, cav wont get over cipressa much less poggio.

my money is on the 65kg frank schlek.... he's good on these short sharp climbs then can TT to the finish....... I'd even put an outside bet on Sanchez from Euskatel but he generally likes to come into form later in the season.......
_____

"I'm okay. A had a day off yesterday and today I will se a chiropractor to see, what he can do. I'm still not feeling 100 %, but I will go for a long training ride tomorrow for 4-5-6 hours and 3-4 hours today and then three hours Thursday. So, I will be ready for Milano-Sanremo," says Schleck in an interview with Team CSC Official Fan Club.

Powerful Pete said:
Well, what about: 1. Bettini; 2. Petacchi; 3. Boonen; and 4. Rebellin?

Paolo was struggling at Adriatico : didn't look to be in shape, to me.

It's hard to bet against Boonen, but Freire is my pick in a controlled bunch sprint. Rebellin if it comes to a break on or pre-Poggio.

Eagle of Toledo said:
Cancellara can do no wrong at the mo and the Poggio will not bother him either. Did anyone notice his 10th place on the Montelupone stage at Tierreno?
Yes. He's clearly on raging form. So I could see him winning any number of ways. Probably will mostly come down to if any of sprinters teams get over the climbs in good enough order to bring it back together for Freire or Hushvold or Boonen (although he doesn't appear to be going very good).

How is Boonen going? Early in the season (Quatar and ToC) he looked good, but as late?

Anyone think, given the possibility that the peloton is less enhanced this year, that the Paggio may pose a bigger obstacle for the sprinters than in years past?