Milano-Torino... today...

Powerful Pete

May 29, 2004
Sorry to interrupt doping discussions...

So, the Milano Torino was held today - the oldest classic in the Italian racing calendar (first edition in 1876, this was the 92nd edition).

Di Luca wins, breakaway with Soler. Kirchen third. Di Luca very happy with his current form... but says that the Liquigas captain for the Tirreno-Adriatico and the Milano San Remo is Pozzato.

Bettini falls on the last downhill, nothing serious.

More here for the Italian speakers from the Gazzetta website. :)

Thanks for the update : Milan-Turino's got a lot of great history.
MP shattered his leg there in 1996, if I recall correctly.

Di Luca's win is a good start for the season.
Always like DiLuca - the Killer is a tough but unpredicable rider.

Pozzato though is the Liqi powerhouse in my opinion.

Good to read that Bettini isn't badly damaged.

Powerful Pete said:

So, the Milano Torino was held today - the oldest classic in the Italian racing calendar (first edition in 1876, this was the 92nd edition).

Di Luca wins, breakaway with Soler. Kirchen third. Di Luca very happy with his current form... but says that the Liquigas captain for the Tirreno-Adriatico and the Milano San Remo is Pozzato.

I was surprised that T-Mobile had Kirchen and Gerdemann at the front. Good that Di Luca is already having a great form. The Ardennes could be interesting this year: Di Luca, Valverde, Schleck, Bettini....

limerickman said:
Di Luca's win is a good start for the season.
Always like DiLuca - the Killer is a tough but unpredicable rider.
What are DiLuca's plans for the season? Does he still have hopes of winning the Giro or did last year disillusion him?

Bro Deal said:
What are DiLuca's plans for the season? Does he still have hopes of winning the Giro or did last year disillusion him?
He wants to peak at the Ardennes and the Giro (like he did in 2005)

cyclingheroes said:
He wants to peak at the Ardennes and the Giro (like he did in 2005)

I think you're correct Ch : he did mention the Giro as a target for 2007.

I've never pictured DiLuca as an overall GT winner - although he did finish 4th at the Giro in 05 (if I recall correctly).
Actually that last mountain stage in the 05 Giro was superb - DiLuca was dying and then he'd recover.
That was a superb Giro - the final week was really "edge of the seat stuff".

limerickman said:

I've never pictured DiLuca as an overall GT winner - although he did finish 4th at the Giro in 05 (if I recall correctly).
Actually that last mountain stage in the 05 Giro was superb - DiLuca was dying and then he'd recover.
With Liquigas now on Cannondale, is it in fact the case that there is not a single top-level Pro team on Bianchi bikes this season? Does that mean that the Giro will be raced with no teams on Italian bikes?

strummer_fan said:
With Liquigas now on Cannondale, is it in fact the case that there is not a single top-level Pro team on Bianchi bikes this season? Does that mean that the Giro will be raced with no teams on Italian bikes?
I do not believe that Bianchi is sponsoring a team this year.

There are however, a wee few teams riding on Italian frames. Not all of these teams will end up racing the Giro, but here is a preliminary list of teams riding on Italian frames (or at least, frames badged by Italian companies!). I have not listed all the Italian continental teams.

1. Milram - Colnago.
2. Lampre Fondital - Wilier.
3. Acqua e Sapone - De Rosa.
4. Serramenti Diquigiovanni - Selle Italia - Guerciotti (not Pro Tour)
5. Ceramica Panaria - Navigare - Colnago.
6. Amore e Vita - McDonald's - NSR
7. Caisse d'Epargne - Pinarello
8. Tinkoff - Colnago
9. Acqua e Sapone - De Rosa (not Pro Tour)
10. Ceramica Flaminia - Daccordi (not Pro Tour)
11. Landbouwkrediet - Tonissteiner - Colnago (not Pro Tour)
12. Intel Action - Colnago (not Pro Tour)
13. Navigators Insurance - Colnago (not Pro Tour)
14. Ceramica Panaria - Navigare - Colnago (not Pro Tour)
15. Tenax Menikini - Opera (not Pro Tour)
16. Relax Gam - Gios (not Pro Tour)
17. Team Lpr - Carrera (not Pro Tour)

*List from March edition of Ciclismo magazine... any and all corrections appreciated!

limerickman said:

Di Luca confirmed today that his objectives are the Ardennes classics and the Giro.

While we may all agree that the Giro is not the race for him, remember that his explosion of popularity here has to do with his 2005 Giro performance. Obviously, that is what really gets an Italian sponsor excited and the fans ('hard core' and 'average joe') knowing you here.

With the exception of a few riders (such as Bettini, who still does ride the Giro seriously for stage wins) no Italian rider gets the same recognition for wins outside of Italy vis-a-vis shining in the Giro.

Powerful Pete said:

Links to moving pictures of this years Milano -Torino: http://www.forumromanum.de/member/forum/forum.php?action=std_show&entryid=1098802789&USER=user_94930&threadid=2