Mildenhall today.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers, Aug 29, 2004.

  1. Just got back from a day spent at Mildenhall Rally. Timed it right, because as
    soon as we got home, the heavens opened and there has been a short period of
    mucho rain, thunder & lightning. The stall where I got my Look shoes (trainer
    boot type) with the cleat recessed into the sole so they are walkable in, was
    there again. I grabbed his last two pairs. At £5 a pair for leather trainers
    complete with cleats, I was not going to miss out. So I am now well-kitted out
    for a few years of use I think, as the ones I bought last year (at same price
    IIRC) are still going strong. As the cleat is recessed into the sole it wears
    very little. I also treated myself to a new winter jersey.

    Vernon & Nathan did much oohing & aahing over some of the bikes on the Fat
    Birds Don't Fly stand. I drooled over the various Trice bents, dropping yet
    more unsuccessful blatant hints to Vernon about the merits of me having a
    Trice. I shall have to start some serious nagging.

    Enjoyed the day, but felt that the trade stands didn't seem to have as much on
    offer as last year.

    Cheers, helen s

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    > Just got back from a day spent at Mildenhall Rally. Timed it right, because as
    > soon as we got home, the heavens opened and there has been a short period of
    > mucho rain, thunder & lightning. The stall where I got my Look shoes (trainer
    > boot type) with the cleat recessed into the sole so they are walkable in, was
    > there again. I grabbed his last two pairs. At £5 a pair for leather trainers
    > complete with cleats, I was not going to miss out. So I am now well-kitted out
    > for a few years of use I think, as the ones I bought last year (at same price
    > IIRC) are still going strong. As the cleat is recessed into the sole it wears
    > very little. I also treated myself to a new winter jersey.
    >
    > Vernon & Nathan did much oohing & aahing over some of the bikes on the Fat
    > Birds Don't Fly stand. I drooled over the various Trice bents, dropping yet
    > more unsuccessful blatant hints to Vernon about the merits of me having a
    > Trice. I shall have to start some serious nagging.
    >
    > Enjoyed the day, but felt that the trade stands didn't seem to have as much on
    > offer as last year.

    Went today as well with family. Place was heaving with people - maybe
    the Bank Holiday effect. Got some waterproof trousers for the girls'
    school field trip for a fiver and took family for a spin on the Trice
    tandems - starting to sow the seeds. They thought it was great fun.
    Highly amused by the sometimes partisan race commetary.

    Left and went on for a quick run round the black route in Thetford and
    just finished in time before the heavens opened. Now back with a nice
    hot cup of tea to see 178 posts waiting - guess some people stayed in
    this pm.

    Tony

  3. Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Now back with a nice
    > hot cup of tea to see 178 posts waiting - guess some people stayed in
    > this pm.

    Not me, Guv. Took S&H and Pater to Hendon RAF museum, and jolly good it
    was, too. Than came back to find that Mum had bought even more things
    for me to fix on her walls...

    --
    Guy

  4. [email protected] (Just zis Guy, you know?)typed

    > Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Now back with a nice
    > > hot cup of tea to see 178 posts waiting - guess some people stayed in
    > > this pm.

    > Not me, Guv. Took S&H and Pater to Hendon RAF museum, and jolly good it
    > was, too. Than came back to find that Mum had bought even more things
    > for me to fix on her walls...

    That are only a dozen furlongs from me Pallis!

    If only I'd known...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  5. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    > Just got back from a day spent at Mildenhall Rally.
    >
    > Vernon & Nathan did much oohing & aahing over some of the bikes

    Will that be for the coming GHS event?

    > I drooled over the various Trice bents,

    Which model do you fancy?

    > dropping yet
    > more unsuccessful blatant hints to Vernon about the merits of me having a
    > Trice. I shall have to start some serious nagging.

    Keep at it. It will be worth it in the end ;-)

    John B

  6. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    JohnB [email protected] opined the following...
    > Which model do you fancy?

    Monster. Monster. Monster. Monster!

    Jon

  7. >Will that be for the coming GHS event?

    No, Nathan will have to make do with his GT Vengeance for that - and so he
    should - he's got a choice of "ordinary" wheels for it if it's a windy day and
    if conditions are good, then he can use his rear carbon disk wheel and front
    carbon tri-spoke on that. Nathan wants to get into road-racing & track - both
    of which have little presence in Norfolk, so it means a lot of travelling if he
    is serious about it.

    >> I drooled over the various Trice bents,

    >Which model do you fancy?

    Oh, any will do ;-) Seriously, I quite fancy an Explorer or Pioneer, or Xl..
    or, or, or....

    >Keep at it. It will be worth it in the end ;-)

    I shall keep at it, one must show determination & grit to get what one wants
    ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  8. On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:55:57 GMT, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in
    message <[email protected]>:

    >> I drooled over the various Trice bents,

    >Which model do you fancy?

    Speaking for meself, al of them :)

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  9. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
    <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> ('') wrote:

    > JohnB [email protected] opined the following...
    >> Which model do you fancy?

    > Monster. Monster. Monster. Monster. Monster!

    A Snake! A snake! A snake... oooh, it's snake...

    Monster. Monster. Monster. Monster. Monster...

    Simon (with apologies to <URL:http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/>

    ;; Want to know what SCO stands for?
    ;; http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030605

  10. >Speaking for meself, al of them :)

    >Guy

    & there was me, trying not to appear greedy ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  11. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    > >Will that be for the coming GHS event?

    > No, Nathan will have to make do with his GT Vengeance for that - and so he
    > should - he's got a choice of "ordinary" wheels for it if it's a windy day and
    > if conditions are good, then he can use his rear carbon disk wheel and front
    > carbon tri-spoke on that.

    Sounds like a sub 22 then, spesh as its on Boroughbridge isn't it?

    John B

  12. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Simon Brooke [email protected] opined the following...
    > in message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
    > <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> ('') wrote:
    >
    > > JohnB [email protected] opined the following...
    > >> Which model do you fancy?

    > > Monster. Monster. Monster. Monster. Monster!

    > A Snake! A snake! A snake... oooh, it's snake...
    >
    > Monster. Monster. Monster. Monster. Monster...
    >
    > Simon (with apologies to <URL:http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/>

    Mr Larrington posted this one last time I uttered the monster chant.
    "The badgers" stands as one of the few flash animations to actually have
    me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe.

    Jon

  13. >Sounds like a sub 22 then, spesh as its on Boroughbridge isn't it?

    >John B

    Tried to reply to this, but machine went haywire for a second! :)

    Nathan won't so a sub-22 *yet* he's not that fast. But he's working on it ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  14. Pete whelan

    Pete whelan Guest

    >>Will that be for the coming GHS event?

    > No, Nathan will have to make do with his GT Vengeance for that - and so he
    > should - he's got a choice of "ordinary" wheels for it if it's a windy day and
    > if conditions are good, then he can use his rear carbon disk wheel and front
    > carbon tri-spoke on that. Nathan wants to get into road-racing & track - both
    > of which have little presence in Norfolk, so it means a lot of travelling if he
    > is serious about it.
    >

    >>>I drooled over the various Trice bents,

    >>Which model do you fancy?

    > Oh, any will do ;-) Seriously, I quite fancy an Explorer or Pioneer, or Xl..
    > or, or, or....
    >

    >>Keep at it. It will be worth it in the end ;-)

    > I shall keep at it, one must show determination & grit to get what one wants
    > ;-)
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
    > to get correct one remove fame & fortune
    > h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*[email protected]$*a$o*l.c**$om$
    >
    > --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--

    isn't the 'economy' version only £1600, I'm sure Vernon could easily do
    that as a Christmas present.

    I had a quick look around various bits during breaks in grass racing.
    Was totally knackered at the end of the weekend. Sorry if I stared
    through you on Sunday, but I could just about make it back to Bev for a
    drink.

  15. >isn't the 'economy' version only £1600, I'm sure Vernon could easily do
    >that as a Christmas present.

    I have pointed this economy version to Vernon, telling him how much money he
    can save by getting me one of those ones ;-)

    >I had a quick look around various bits during breaks in grass racing.
    >Was totally knackered at the end of the weekend. Sorry if I stared
    >through you on Sunday, but I could just about make it back to Bev for a
    >drink.

    No problem - Vernon, Nathan & I cheered you on a bit from the sidelines. Didn't
    get the opportunity, though, to rib Andrew about breaking his leg parachuting
    ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  16. Pete whelan

    Pete whelan Guest

    >>isn't the 'economy' version only £1600, I'm sure Vernon could easily do
    >>that as a Christmas present.

    > I have pointed this economy version to Vernon, telling him how much money he
    > can save by getting me one of those ones ;-)
    >

    >>I had a quick look around various bits during breaks in grass racing.
    >>Was totally knackered at the end of the weekend. Sorry if I stared
    >>through you on Sunday, but I could just about make it back to Bev for a
    >>drink.

    > No problem - Vernon, Nathan & I cheered you on a bit from the sidelines. Didn't
    > get the opportunity, though, to rib Andrew about breaking his leg parachuting
    > ;-)

    it was on a BOUNCY CASTLE (or take off to get on it) that he broke his
    fibula. No one has given him any sympathy, only laughed at him. He's
    going to have to learn to control his muscles better.

  17. dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    > I drooled over the various Trice bents

    Me too, and had a quick try on an XXL, and talked to Kevin from D-TEK,
    and admired his bikes (static display, cable-tied to stand, no trying out,
    but talked about booking a try-out session). Came home and talked to
    my wife about whether we could manage with one car. We're going to try
    it this week (not through choice, her Ka has just started making nasty
    noises and Tuesday next week is the soonest the garage can look at it).

    I had my first try on a recumbent bike recently, thanks to Mike Causer
    and his Speed Ross (I'd had a go on a Bike-E before, which was a lot
    easier to get started on, being only semi-recumbent, but by the end of the
    session with Mike I could definitely see how a seriously recumbent bike
    could be really fun once you get used to it (I was still having to
    consciously remind myself "relax, lie back, don't pull on the bars,
    relax, lie back, don't pull on the bars"), so trying a variety of vehicles
    is the next step.

    Mike Burrows was at the D-TEK stand with his Ratcatcher, and seems like
    a nice bloke as well as being a demi-god. He was explaining how much better
    the Dutch are at accepting new ideas, and how all utility bicycles ought to
    have hub gears on monoblade forks.

    Bought a new helmet, on the grounds that if my wife is going to be happier
    with my wearing one, a more than ten year old one with visible chunks out of
    the foam is probably sub-optimal (and the new one (Giro Eclipse) has more
    ventilation than my old Bell).

    And a fixed gear hub, on the grounds that, um, well, it obviously wanted
    me to buy it and I can worry about what to do with it later. Resisted
    buying a four speed Sturmey-Archer hub for my "new" folder (a Dawes Kingpin,
    three pounds from the tip, though new inner tubes and a new longer seat post
    have increased that a bit). Someone then pointed out that it was a 40-hole
    hub, and would be useless without a 4-speed shifter, so resisting it was
    clearly a good move.

  18. >it was on a BOUNCY CASTLE (or take off to get on it) that he broke his
    >fibula. No one has given him any sympathy, only laughed at him. He's
    >going to have to learn to control his muscles better.

    I know it was a bouncy castle - Bev told me, but I was going to rib him about
    it happening on a parachute jump & see if he owned up ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  19. Phil Clarke

    Phil Clarke Guest

    Alan Braggins wrote:

    > .... talked to Kevin from D-TEK, and admired his bikes ...
    > but talked about booking a try-out session).

    you should do that. I did a few months back, had a great day, but he
    wouldnt sell me his demo Speedmachine on the day. Id brought the Thule
    bike carriers on the car in case ...

    He came up with a secondhand M5 28/20 while I was umming & ahhing about
    what to order, so it lives in the garage now. I can see how people buy a
    flash-looking bent, find it too twitchy and end up selling it soon after
    - I spent a fortnight wobbling round the village before I dared take it
    through the rush hour traffic. Time well invested, I love it to bits.

    Phil

  20. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Alan Braggins [email protected] opined the following...
    > dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    > > I drooled over the various Trice bents

    > Me too, and had a quick try on an XXL, and talked to Kevin from D-TEK,
    > and admired his bikes (static display, cable-tied to stand, no trying out,
    > but talked about booking a try-out session). Came home and talked to
    > my wife about whether we could manage with one car. We're going to try
    > it this week (not through choice, her Ka has just started making nasty
    > noises and Tuesday next week is the soonest the garage can look at it).

    Kevin is a Top Bloke [TM] who has done wonders for introducing my
    parents to the Dark Side! An ameniable chap, although for a bentmonger,
    distinctly technophobic. Email is a bit of a no-go!

    > Mike Burrows was at the D-TEK stand with his Ratcatcher, and seems like
    > a nice bloke as well as being a demi-god. He was explaining how much better
    > the Dutch are at accepting new ideas, and how all utility bicycles ought to
    > have hub gears on monoblade forks.

    I enjoyed meeting Mike, but I share the opinion of a number of people
    that part of his ability with novel bike design boils down to his
    amazingly convincing excuses! :)

    Jon