Mildenhall

wafflycat

Guest
So I got up before Vernon & Nathan, breakfasted & set off for Mildenhall by
'bent. Not that far, approx 35-38 miles (haven't got computer on 'bent) and
as I'm slower on the 'bent than on the upright, I wanted to set off early -
in case of problems & to be able to spend many hours at Mildenhall.

The jounrey was great. I thoroughly enjoyed the three hours it took me to
cycle down on my own. I didn't push myself at all, it was thoroughly
leisurely and enjoyable cycling. I confirmed pheasants are totally without
brains as a group of six just kept looking at me as I freewheeled down an
incline towards them. They stayed put. As I aimed to one side of them, they
moved in front of me. I changed direction again - they changed to remain in
front of me. Six pheasants taking off as a madwoman on a 'bent trike zooms
by was a 'wish I'd brought my camera' moment.

Drivers all gave me loads of room except for ... tada!... a white BMW and a
Range Rover towing a caravan. BMW man seemed oblivious to brightly coloured
trike with flag waving as he overtook me at what seemed well over the speed
limit with micrometres of didtance between his nearside wing and me. Range
Rover man stayed behind me until there was an oncoming vehicle and only then
did he decide to overtake me. I could see the look of total panic in the
eyes of the driver of the oncoming vehicle.... Other than that, the journey
was fun, with the ususal smilemobile effect of piloting a 'bent.

Once at Mildenhall I found I'd arrived before V & N who were coming down by
car as we intended to do shopping at the trade stalls. But they soon
followed. Within seconds of arriving, I was spotted by Mr Whelan of this NG,
who has a 'bent of his own but was participating in grass track racing
today. We had a chat and then I found myself talking to several people who
decided they'd like to inspect my 'bent. I was chatting to a nice man on a
Trice (different model to mine) and then a trike rider I know from near me
told me about the trike racing & parade round the ring. So I was willingly
drawn into taking part of the parade of trikes around the ring. In the lead
were the kids trikes, then the normal trikes then the tandem trikes then
there were three recumbenteers taking up the rear. There was yours truly on
my Trice Ice T, the man on the other Trice and a lady on a Windcheetah. Then
remaining in the ring, we watched the trike racing then we heard 'recumbent
trike race' - ooh-err! As I was at the start line I heard a certian teenage
voice saying, "Zone 4 to start with so you don't blow, then cracnk it up to
zone five and go for it, Mum!" But it was fun :)

After this, V & H put the Trice in the car and the serious shopping began.
Nathan required some new road shoes and he was well pleased with the ones we
got. Bargain too, as they were £46 cheaper than on Wiggle. Plus he got a new
h*lm*t, a new winter waterproof jacket for that college commute & new
shades. I got a new winter jersey & a pair of armwarmers, & new tyres for
the front of the 'bent..

All-in-all, a good day, lovely weather, fun, good company and a bargain or
two. On the downside - not as many trade stalls there as previous years (No
ICE, for example).

Cheers, helen s

wafflycat wrote:
Then
> remaining in the ring, we watched the trike racing then we heard 'recumbent
> trike race' - ooh-err! As I was at the start line I heard a certian teenage
> voice saying, "Zone 4 to start with so you don't blow, then cracnk it up to
> zone five and go for it, Mum!" But it was fun :)

And how did it go? It can't have been any worse than third which sounds
very good!

Love to be a fly on the wall at the next weight watchers meeting when
you tell them all about it.

'I came third in a cycle race at the weekend'
<fx: gasps of astonishment and general applause>
'I had to ride 35 miles just to get to the start'
<fx: looks of complete disbelief and checking the calender for April
1st>

...d

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> wafflycat wrote:
> Then
>> remaining in the ring, we watched the trike racing then we heard
>> 'recumbent
>> trike race' - ooh-err! As I was at the start line I heard a certian
>> teenage
>> voice saying, "Zone 4 to start with so you don't blow, then cracnk it up
>> zone five and go for it, Mum!" But it was fun :)

> And how did it go? It can't have been any worse than third which sounds
> very good!

Won! - Mind you it was purely *fun* and not in any way serious. It wasn't
really supposed to be a race until the guy on the other Trice set off at a
fair lick, so I set off after him ;-)

It's the only race I'm ever likely to a) take part in, and b) win

If it had been serious I think the lady on the Windcheetah would have won.

Cheers, helen s

wafflycat wrote:

> So I got up before Vernon & Nathan, breakfasted & set off for Mildenhall by
> 'bent.

<snip>

> All-in-all, a good day, lovely weather, fun, good company and a bargain or
> two.

A nice report.
Its a rally I've never been to, always having a feeble excuse :-(

Why do you need new tyres fr your trice already? What did you get?
What make were the old ones and how many miles had you covered?

JohnB

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:12:03 +0100, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:

> Why do you need new tyres fr your trice already? What did you get?
> What make were the old ones and how many miles had you covered?

Might be that teh tracking's out. My first set went through quite
quick, and it was only when I checked while fitting teh new ones that
I discovered the tracking was adrift.

I've subsequently discovered that you can also check it by making a
sharp turn on a loose surface - with the tracking set right, the back
breaks away, with it wrong, the front wheels break first (at least on
mine). I don't know how sensitive this test is, however...

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

"Ian Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:12:03 +0100, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Why do you need new tyres fr your trice already? What did you get?
>> What make were the old ones and how many miles had you covered?

> Might be that teh tracking's out. My first set went through quite
> quick, and it was only when I checked while fitting teh new ones that
> I discovered the tracking was adrift.

There's nothing *wrong* with the tyres on it now, other than they are
knobblies and I wanted some semi-slicks or slicks on it.

Cheers, helen s

wafflycat wrote:

> "Ian Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:12:03 +0100, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Why do you need new tyres fr your trice already? What did you get?
> >> What make were the old ones and how many miles had you covered?

> > Might be that teh tracking's out. My first set went through quite
> > quick, and it was only when I checked while fitting teh new ones that
> > I discovered the tracking was adrift.
> >

> There's nothing *wrong* with the tyres on it now, other than they are
> knobblies and I wanted some semi-slicks or slicks on it.

I felt the same, originally having Schwalbe Marathons. I've now put
Primo Comets on the front.

I was wondering if you had replaced yours with Stevios which i've
recently put on the Bike Friday, and am very happy with. I'm thinking of
some for the Trice, but am unsure as they seem to have very thin walls
- not a good idea for a trike methinks.

JohnB

JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:

> wafflycat wrote:
> >
> > "Ian Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > Might be that teh tracking's out. My first set went through quite
> > > quick, and it was only when I checked while fitting teh new ones that
> > > I discovered the tracking was adrift.

<shameless self-promotion>

There's a handy guide to checking tracking wot Rob wrote on our wibble
site :-

http://www.wrhpv.com/faq/tremmel/

</shameless self-promotion>

> > There's nothing *wrong* with the tyres on it now, other than they are
> > knobblies and I wanted some semi-slicks or slicks on it.

<snip>
> I was wondering if you had replaced yours with Stevios which i've
> recently put on the Bike Friday, and am very happy with. I'm thinking of
> some for the Trice, but am unsure as they seem to have very thin walls
> - not a good idea for a trike methinks.

People do use them on trikes, but they're more of a racing tyre - not
the most durable things for road riding.

--
Carol
"How fleeting are all human passions when compared to the massive

Ian Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:12:03 +0100, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Why do you need new tyres fr your trice already? What did you get?
>> What make were the old ones and how many miles had you covered?

> Might be that teh tracking's out. My first set went through quite
> quick, and it was only when I checked while fitting teh new ones that
> I discovered the tracking was adrift.
>
> I've subsequently discovered that you can also check it by making a
> sharp turn on a loose surface - with the tracking set right, the back
> breaks away, with it wrong, the front wheels break first (at least on
> mine). I don't know how sensitive this test is, however...
>
> regards, Ian SMith

when I do tight fast turns on mine, all three wheels break away at about
the same time.

--
There will never be true sexual equality until women accept that the
default position of a toilet seat is UP

wafflycat wrote:
> So I got up before Vernon & Nathan, breakfasted & set off for Mildenhall
> by 'bent. Not that far, approx 35-38 miles (haven't got computer on
> 'bent) and as I'm slower on the 'bent than on the upright, I wanted to
> set off early - in case of problems & to be able to spend many hours at
> Mildenhall.
>
> The jounrey was great. I thoroughly enjoyed the three hours it took me
> to cycle down on my own. I didn't push myself at all, it was thoroughly
> leisurely and enjoyable cycling. I confirmed pheasants are totally
> without brains as a group of six just kept looking at me as I
> freewheeled down an incline towards them. They stayed put. As I aimed to
> one side of them, they moved in front of me. I changed direction again -
> they changed to remain in front of me. Six pheasants taking off as a
> madwoman on a 'bent trike zooms by was a 'wish I'd brought my camera'
> moment.
>
> Drivers all gave me loads of room except for ... tada!... a white BMW
> and a Range Rover towing a caravan. BMW man seemed oblivious to brightly
> coloured trike with flag waving as he overtook me at what seemed well
> over the speed limit with micrometres of didtance between his nearside
> wing and me. Range Rover man stayed behind me until there was an
> oncoming vehicle and only then did he decide to overtake me. I could see
> the look of total panic in the eyes of the driver of the oncoming
> vehicle.... Other than that, the journey was fun, with the ususal
> smilemobile effect of piloting a 'bent.
>
> Once at Mildenhall I found I'd arrived before V & N who were coming down
> by car as we intended to do shopping at the trade stalls. But they soon
> followed. Within seconds of arriving, I was spotted by Mr Whelan of this
> NG, who has a 'bent of his own but was participating in grass track
> racing today. We had a chat and then I found myself talking to several
> people who decided they'd like to inspect my 'bent.

<snip>

Mildenhall is one of the few places it can take over an hour o go to the
toilet, due to meeting so many people on the way and back. It can play
havoc with race preparation for the grass track racing.

We had a good weekend, arrived there Saturday, set up camp, left Andrew
to do his club duties (lap board for grass track), wholst Bev and I went
off onthe tandem to Ely.

Sunday was grass racing for Andrew and I, with Bev asked to be a line
judge (didn't make any difference to my finish position!)

Monday, I had decided not to ride, but to take it easy. fat chance. I
was commissaire for the cyclo-cross ( so up early to inspect the course,
etc), then asked to help on the finish line for the grass track - I
managed 20 minutes break between the two. Even though Bev & I are mot
in Mildenhall CC, but the children are, we helped out. It's a
surprisingly tough day standing in the track for 7 hours.

It did save us quite a bit of money by keeping us away from the trade
stands most of the time. Got some good padded shorts for £5 each (no bibs).

Packed the tent at the end of the day, and were home by 7pm

--
There will never be true sexual equality until women accept that the
default position of a toilet seat is UP

"Pete Whelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mildenhall is one of the few places it can take over an hour o go to the
> toilet, due to meeting so many people on the way and back. It can play
> havoc with race preparation for the grass track racing.

I discovered just how long it can take to get to the loo for that very
reason ;-)

> We had a good weekend, arrived there Saturday, set up camp, left Andrew to
> do his club duties (lap board for grass track), wholst Bev and I went off
> onthe tandem to Ely.
>
> Sunday was grass racing for Andrew and I, with Bev asked to be a line
> judge (didn't make any difference to my finish position!)

I loved Bev's polo shirt she was wearing on Sunday - *excellent*

Cheers, helen s

Pete Whelan <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mildenhall is one of the few places it can take over an hour o go to the
> toilet, due to meeting so many people on the way and back. It can play
> havoc with race preparation for the grass track racing.

> --
> There will never be true sexual equality until women accept that the
> default position of a toilet seat is UP

There will be atomised **** and faeces and bacteria all over the
bathrooms, basins, toothbrushes, towels and people until everyone learns
to put down the lid before they flush.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice www.apple-juice.co.uk
Chapter Arts Centre

D.M. Procida wrote:

>>--
>>There will never be true sexual equality until women accept that the
>>default position of a toilet seat is UP

> There will be atomised **** and faeces and bacteria all over the
> bathrooms, basins, toothbrushes, towels and people until everyone learns
> to put down the lid before they flush.

Which strenghtens the immune system, hence the need to leave the seat up.

--
Tony

Anon

wafflycat wrote:

> "Pete Whelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>> Mildenhall is one of the few places it can take over an hour o go to
>> the toilet, due to meeting so many people on the way and back. It can
>> play havoc with race preparation for the grass track racing.
>>

> I discovered just how long it can take to get to the loo for that very
> reason ;-)
>
>> We had a good weekend, arrived there Saturday, set up camp, left
>> Andrew to do his club duties (lap board for grass track), wholst Bev
>> and I went off onthe tandem to Ely.
>>
>> Sunday was grass racing for Andrew and I, with Bev asked to be a line
>> judge (didn't make any difference to my finish position!)
>>

> I loved Bev's polo shirt she was wearing on Sunday - *excellent*
>

> Cheers, helen s

she can do them to order - computerised sewing machine

--

wafflycat wrote:

> Won! - Mind you it was purely *fun* and not in any way serious. It
> wasn't really supposed to be a race until the guy on the other
> Trice set off at a fair lick, so I set off after him ;-)
>
> It's the only race I'm ever likely to a) take part in, and b) win

Don't knock it. Almost no-one has a 100% success rate at racing.

--
Dave...

Hi everyone

This is my first post to the group. Have been watching the list for a few weeks waiting for something to catch my eye enough to prompt me to join in.

We had our usual lovely time at Mildenhall. Arrived Friday afternoon, and set up the caravan in the Norfolk DA enclave. About fifteen of us there from Norwich.

Sue and I did a 200km Autoroute permanent on Saturday to Spalding, Kings Lynn and Ely. Very little breeze on the fen, though the 50km from KL to Ely was uphill all the way.

On Sunday we shopped for shoes, panniers, winter gloves and lightweight fleeces. Remarkable savings, nothing over half price, and on good brands too. Was anyone making a profit?

Watched some racing (including trikes), thought the Duathlon was very professionally organised, and the cyclocross less so. Met lots of audax friends from all over the UK, as well as the local CTC folk on day visits.

We decided to forgo the pleasures of the Quiz night this year as our trophy cabinet is overflowing. Did the archive film show instead. There was a fair bit of cycling content, most of which showed cyclists as buffoons, much as film makers still do today

The area outside the toilets was, as always, the place to be. No need to wander the site looking for friends, they all come to join in the conversation at some time.

Had to wonder how the organisers could think that 4 toilets, (one of which was out of action all weekend and another with an unlockable door) is enough for the many hundreds of men staying there over the 3 days. We would willingly pay double for some better facilities, though we understand that some of our cycling friends think the present charges are exhorbitant.

Overall, it's great to see that the show retains it's popularity. Great credit to the organisers.

Keith

"dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> wafflycat wrote:
>
>> Won! - Mind you it was purely *fun* and not in any way serious. It
>> wasn't really supposed to be a race until the guy on the other
>> Trice set off at a fair lick, so I set off after him ;-)
>>
>> It's the only race I'm ever likely to a) take part in, and b) win

> Don't knock it. Almost no-one has a 100% success rate at racing.

I like that perspective ;-)

Cheers, helen s

"Pete Whelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> wafflycat wrote:
>> I loved Bev's polo shirt she was wearing on Sunday - *excellent*
>>

>> Cheers, helen s

> she can do them to order - computerised sewing machine

OOOOOH!!.... I feel a Team Wafflycat idea developing....

Cheers, helen s

Keeff57 wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> This is my first post to the group. Have been watching the list for a
> few weeks waiting for something to catch my eye enough to prompt me to
> join in.
>
> We had our usual lovely time at Mildenhall. Arrived Friday afternoon,
> and set up the caravan in the Norfolk DA enclave. About fifteen of us
> there from Norwich.
>
> Sue and I did a 200km Autoroute permanent on Saturday to Spalding,
> Kings Lynn and Ely. Very little breeze on the fen, though the 50km from
> KL to Ely was uphill all the way.
>
> On Sunday we shopped for shoes, panniers, winter gloves and lightweight
> fleeces. Remarkable savings, nothing over half price, and on good brands
> too. Was anyone making a profit?
>
> Watched some racing (including trikes), thought the Duathlon was very
> professionally organised, and the cyclocross less so. Met lots of audax
> friends from all over the UK, as well as the local CTC folk on day
> visits.
>
> We decided to forgo the pleasures of the Quiz night this year as our
> trophy cabinet is overflowing. Did the archive film show instead. There
> was a fair bit of cycling content, most of which showed cyclists as
> buffoons, much as film makers still do today
>
> The area outside the toilets was, as always, the place to be. No need
> to wander the site looking for friends, they all come to join in the
> conversation at some time.
>
> Had to wonder how the organisers could think that 4 toilets, (one of
> which was out of action all weekend and another with an unlockable
> door) is enough for the many hundreds of men staying there over the 3
> days. We would willingly pay double for some better facilities, though
> we understand that some of our cycling friends think the present
> charges are exhorbitant.
>
> Overall, it's great to see that the show retains it's popularity. Great
> credit to the organisers.
>
> Keith

there were another 4 mens tiolets in the back of the food hall area,
though not accessible all the time.

I agree the venue does need more loos.

Whilst not a member of Mildenhall CC, I do know them well; and they do a
very good job for a small club. Each year they seem to have more
challenges from the school, as it is slowly being refurbed. Th grass
track was 40m shorter than last year, which was 30m shoter than the year
before... all due to the building work.

Whilst I was commissaire for the cyclo-cross, I was not responsible for
the signing on, which was a little fragmented. We did have a minor
problem with an extra large motorhome (which had not registered as being
oversize) overhanging a right of way [we did eventually get it moved].
I had no complaints about the cyclo-cross racing. All the riders
appeared to understand what was required of them, and there were helpers
for some of the youngsters at difficult points.