Mile-a-Minute Murphy

Can't say that I evr heard of him, although my grandfather might have. He was into bicycle racing long before it was common. Anyway, this occurred before there was radio, TV, or the Internet. Also there were no news syndicates, so he was probably just a local hero who disappeared in the annals of history.

Yes, I have heard of Mile A Minute Murphy. Look him up on Google and you'll learn all about his accomplishments. My mother and father knew him. I remember going to his house when I was about 9 yrs old. Very interesting man.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

Can't say that I evr heard of him, although my grandfather might have. He was into bicycle racing long before it was common. Anyway, this occurred before there was radio, TV, or the Internet. Also there were no news syndicates, so he was probably just a local hero who disappeared in the annals of history.
It was the image (picture) that jogged my memory. That was the Golden Age of Bicycling... with indoor race tracks in cities everywhere. Bicycling may had been even more popular as a sport then, than now. The AP or Associated Press had been around for 50 years before his ride, so I am sure his accomplishment made newspapers across America (as well as world-wide). I guess.... we all disappear into the annals of history... don't we.

Originally Posted by blazingpedals .

...and here I thought that every cyclist had heard of Mile-a-Minute Murphy.
Is he any relation to Sneakers O'toole? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif