Mileage build up - suggestions/tips/schedule required

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew

I have been commuting for a while now & as the weather has improved have been riding for pleasure
more. My weekend runs are usually around the 20 - 25 miles mark

I want to be at the level where I can comfortable ride 70 - 80 miles a day by early / mid June, not
racing or anything silly, just for kicks (& endorphins)!

All I want to make sure is that I don't over do it. Has anyone got a schedule I might follow.

I am in my early 30's & in reasonable shape. I have got the time to get out through the week, now
the clocks have gone forward (hurrah) & politically I can usually get one ride a weekend in.

Thanks,

Andrew

My advice is ride often and slowly and take a couple of days off if you're getting knackered. There
is nothing makes you as fit as riding every day, but to not get knackered it must be easy.

"Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My advice is ride often and slowly and take a couple of days off if you're getting knackered.
> There is nothing makes you as fit as riding every day, but to not get knackered it must be easy.

Agreed. Its easy to over push towards goals like this. I always believe the most important days when
touring or when trying to gain fitness are the rest days. Its too easy to go at things too fast.

The other thing to do is to do a 'trip'. Plan to go somewhere (over one to 3 days say) so there is
an out leg, a rest period (perhaps just lunch in a pub and a wander round a museum or garden) then a
return leg. That way you do 2 25 mile runs (say) rather than a 50!!

T

"andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> All I want to make sure is that I don't over do it. Has anyone got a schedule I might follow.

You need a schedule that suits you personally based on time, base fitness and other personal
factors, we can only generalise.

The main thing (as has been stated already) is to not over do it. Aim for a long ride at the
weekend, by long ride I mean extend your current mileage gradually each time so when you get home
you know you've been on a ride but are not totally wrecked. If you do this on Sunday, say, then
don't ride at all on Monday and only lightly on Tuesday or not at all if you overdid it on Sun. Aim
for a couple of rides in the week then go for a long one again at the weekend. Like I said, build up
steadily. Something that needs developing besides fitness is comfort on the bike, 6 hours in the
saddle is a bit different to 2 but again assuming the bike and saddle suit you Sir! then a gradual
build up is the way forward.

The main thing though, assuming you aren't doing it for profit, as a macho test or as a masochist
is that you enjoy it, and me, I'm about to go and get my fix as the current weather is too good
to miss :)

Pete

I agree with all the replies so far. If you can, try & do some gym work as well; tell the instructor
your goals for cycling, they're usually pretty helpful.

I've been building up my mileage by just 5 miles a week to about 100 per week, from a start of just
20 miles a week. (I have done more in the low mileage weeks). Sometimes its 3x34 miles sometimes
2x50 or a LONG ride plus a short one; but recovery is the all important thing. Plenty of hydration &
fuel is essential.

Niv.

>
> I have been commuting for a while now & as the weather has improved have been riding for pleasure
> more. My weekend runs are usually around the 20 - 25 miles mark
>
> I want to be at the level where I can comfortable ride 70 - 80 miles a day by early / mid June,
> not racing or anything silly, just for kicks (& endorphins)!
>
> All I want to make sure is that I don't over do it. Has anyone got a schedule I might follow.
>
> I am in my early 30's & in reasonable shape. I have got the time to get
out
> through the week, now the clocks have gone forward (hurrah) & politically
I
> can usually get one ride a weekend in.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

"andrew" <[email protected]> of [posted via UK Online] wrote:
>I have been commuting for a while now & as the weather has improved have been riding for pleasure
>more. My weekend runs are usually around the 20 - 25 miles mark
>
>I want to be at the level where I can comfortable ride 70 - 80 miles a day by early / mid June, not
>racing or anything silly, just for kicks (& endorphins)!

Find yourself a club - try the local CTC branch. I was doing this sort of distance on my own, plus
10 miles a day commute. Then I joined the local CTC club B ride and was able to do 50 hilly or 60
flat mile day rides straight off. Riding in a bunch is much easier than on your own. Also, by going
out with an experienced group, you will be paced, taken to feeding/watering sources at sensible
intervals, and generally looked after as a new recruit. Look for one now while they are still
working up from winter distances to your 70-80 target which is a summer distance.
--
Character develops itself in the stream of life. Goethe Steph Peters delete invalid from
[email protected] Tatting, lace & stitching page
<http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm

news:<[email protected]>...
> I have been commuting for a while now & as the weather has improved have been riding for pleasure
> more. My weekend runs are usually around the 20 - 25 miles mark
>
> I want to be at the level where I can comfortable ride 70 - 80 miles a day by early / mid June,
> not racing or anything silly, just for kicks (& endorphins)!

Designate one ride a week, normally a weekend ride, as your long ride. On this day ride at a steady
pace, drink often, and keep nibbling high energy food. To avoid going too fast try staying on the
small chain ring as much as possible, or middle if you have a triple, with a highish cadence.

You should be able to extend your distance by 10 percent on each long ride without getting either
exhausted or injured. This rate of progess will take you from 25 miles into the 70-80 mile range in
12 weeks, which is late rather than early June. You could work your distance up more quickly but
this will get you there more comfortably.

On shorter mid-week rides you might want to try riding faster or go looking for hills to climb.

--
Dave...

Status
Not open for further replies.